The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-20-2011, 02:13 AM   #1
Torrey72
Rollin in my K5 toaster

Is your Classic truck a CLASSIC?

I was wondering how many people have licensed their truck under a collector vehicle status in their state? I live in Washington state and we can register any vehicle that is 30 years and older as a Collector vehicle. The rules are that you can’t (Though I have never been caught in 20 some years of driving.) daily drive the vehicle for things like driving to work or errands and such. You are ok to drive the rig to and from events like car shows. Driving for testing and tuning purposes is ok. Pleasure driving is listed as an acceptable reason as well. I never tell an officer that I am driving to work. I tell them that I am tuning the carb or driving for the sear pleasure of driving with no destination in mind. Let’s face it. Driving an old Chevy is always a pleasure You can’t park the rig on the street overnight for example , but private property is ok. You never ever, ever have to get car tabs for the rest of your life. You pay one time and that is it. You don’t need a front plate and an old “era correct” plate with NO TABS is A-OK. Though I have insurance; you do not have to carry any car insurance when driving on public streets. I carry copies of the RCW’s ( State Laws) in my glove box for the cops when I get pulled over. They get really pissed when I don’t pony up insurance and just tell them that the law does not apply to me. I’m exempt from that silly Law. Don’t worry, I have it in the glove box. Getting their goat is always priceless. Collector vehicle status exempts you from having to abide by the wheel well, mud flap, Hood, fender, and bumper height laws on vehicles over 40 years old. As well.
Anyone else taking advantage of at least never buying tabs for their truck with their similar state rules for classics?
Torrey72 is offline   Reply With Quote