The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2011, 02:13 AM   #1
Torrey72
Rollin in my K5 toaster

Is your Classic truck a CLASSIC?

I was wondering how many people have licensed their truck under a collector vehicle status in their state? I live in Washington state and we can register any vehicle that is 30 years and older as a Collector vehicle. The rules are that you can’t (Though I have never been caught in 20 some years of driving.) daily drive the vehicle for things like driving to work or errands and such. You are ok to drive the rig to and from events like car shows. Driving for testing and tuning purposes is ok. Pleasure driving is listed as an acceptable reason as well. I never tell an officer that I am driving to work. I tell them that I am tuning the carb or driving for the sear pleasure of driving with no destination in mind. Let’s face it. Driving an old Chevy is always a pleasure You can’t park the rig on the street overnight for example , but private property is ok. You never ever, ever have to get car tabs for the rest of your life. You pay one time and that is it. You don’t need a front plate and an old “era correct” plate with NO TABS is A-OK. Though I have insurance; you do not have to carry any car insurance when driving on public streets. I carry copies of the RCW’s ( State Laws) in my glove box for the cops when I get pulled over. They get really pissed when I don’t pony up insurance and just tell them that the law does not apply to me. I’m exempt from that silly Law. Don’t worry, I have it in the glove box. Getting their goat is always priceless. Collector vehicle status exempts you from having to abide by the wheel well, mud flap, Hood, fender, and bumper height laws on vehicles over 40 years old. As well.
Anyone else taking advantage of at least never buying tabs for their truck with their similar state rules for classics?
Torrey72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:15 AM   #2
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Re: Is your Classic truck a CLASSIC?

Mine is registered as a classic and I drive it daily. I know several others who have classic plates and drive them regularly.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
BigRed Beast

Collector here in Colorado is a five year plate, discounted insurance and no emissions. The insurance pertains to the minimum coverage for legality, but obviously does nothing for replacement cost. We're out in the country (sort of) and our Blazer is my son's daily driver--never been pulled over, cherry bombs and all.
BigRed Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:40 PM   #4
BlazinC5

I have been thinking about the collectors plates too. But one other thing with wa rigs is I believe that you can only licence one vehicle as a collector per person. I don't know for sure but I read something on the DOL a while back that I thought said that.

My build, Restarted

05 Buell firebolt
94 1500 Z71
No rice for me,,, I'm full
BlazinC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:42 PM   #5
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Collector's plate here... and loving it.

Not a DD.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)

Last edited by 72BlckButy; 02-20-2011 at 05:24 PM.
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
RED72blazer
urban fourwheelin

I'm sorry but driving your "Classic registered" vehicle as a daily driver is the exact reason why in Washington they are considering charging a yearly renewal fee for collector plates.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:26 PM   #7
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

I registered mine as a classic when I got a regular daily driver. Due to the economy, I had to give up the other car and drive the Blazer again. As soon as I can afford another car, I'll put the Blazer back to a weekend driver.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:54 PM   #8
mustardjimmy71
toys'r'us

i could but i like my hei and electric fan, i like driving it to work, and i dont keep it in a locked garage. in canada u can get collector plates at 25 years. they also have a collector modified plate for pre 58 hotrods
mustardjimmy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:32 AM   #9
Torrey72
Rollin in my K5 toaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazinC5 View Post
I have been thinking about the collectors plates too. But one other thing with wa rigs is I believe that you can only licence one vehicle as a collector per person. I don't know for sure but I read something on the DOL a while back that I thought said that.
The simple definition of Collector is the act of collecting more then one. If you could only license one vehicle under a collector statues. It wouldn't be much of a collection would it. I have a 63 Impala, 69 Camaro, 72 Blazer and a 73 Honda CT-70 motorcycle licensed with collector plates. I also have a 69 Blazer with a F-ed up Oregon title that will be licensed if I can ever work it out I have a Green and white Washington plate with original "69" tabs on it waiting impatiently to adorn the rear bumper. Also, If the world doesn't come to an end in 2012 LOL, I have an 82 Honda CB750SC Nighthawk that will get a collector plate then. BTW, Old bikes rule in Washington. who wants to license a bike every year for the four days it is not raining. (I live on the wet side of the state.) I also have a 77 ford Courier I call "The Dumpster" I use it to haul garbage to the dump. It will get a plate when I get around to it. I've been driving it to the dump for several years. Maybe four times a year on plates that expired literally years ago. Lastly, I have a 59 Bel-air Four door that needs to become someone else's problem if any of you want it. I'm not trying to come off like some cool guy. Most of my cars are a bunch of junk. I just have a problem letting any of them go. The impala is my first car I ever owned. oh, and I have a 89 Suburban I use to haul the kids around in and a 77 Cherokee chief and a 06 4 Runner that I use for most daily driving. Wow!? I really ought to get rid of something. Or get a bigger shop. You could say I'm living a rednecks dream. A 69 Camaro a bunch of 4X4s and a shop on acreage bigger then my double wide. lol
Old 02-21-2011, 04:03 AM   #10
Torrey72
Rollin in my K5 toaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED72blazer View Post
I'm sorry but driving your "Classic registered" vehicle as a daily driver is the exact reason why in Washington they are considering charging a yearly renewal fee for collector plates.
Um, well I don't know about that. I doubt that the thought of a few classic plated cars driving around keeps the state lawmakers up at night. I would argue that the $4.6 Billion budget shortfall would have more to say about that then anything else. Gov. Chris Gregoire wanted to Tax bottled water for crying out loud.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:13 AM   #11
Torrey72
Rollin in my K5 toaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardjimmy71 View Post
i could but i like my hei and electric fan,
interesting? Here in the states you can modify a classic licenced auto with any street legal part without loosing your classic status. Well, all the states I am aware of anyway.

Last edited by Torrey72; 02-21-2011 at 04:13 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:50 PM   #12
Erik V

With a "gift" bill of sale, Dad's old 71 Jimmy cost me $116 to get the title transfered into my name, and put collector plates on it. Nobody ever said you had to collect more than one at the same time. In my family's "collection" have been a 68 SWB 4X4, 71 Jimmy, 72 LWB 2wd GMC, 72 Chevy halfcab motorhome...and countless parts trucks. Thats just one generation of car. This time tho its the first Collector Plated vehicle in the family. Though Dad's 52 Willy's Jeep has "Horseless Carriage" plates. Love WA regs, just hard to explain them to the cops when you get pulled over for pleasure driving to the gas station for a fillup.

Erik
Erik V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:45 AM   #13
mustardjimmy71
toys'r'us

Torrey72
ct 70s' rock! nothing like a dozen grown men drunk our minds riding the local walking trails on ct70s' and z50s'. i wish we had pics but that would require someone to operate a camera.

In canada collector status is a very strict process. only safety modifications are permitted such as seat belts and disc breaks. Any unauthorized mods will deem u uninsured. If you get in an accident and they find modifications they say sorry thats not the car we insured.

If your vehicle is pre 58 and has a different from stock engine AND suspension you can qualify for "collector modified" status. aka the hot rod plate.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:09 AM   #14
YBNORML

Mustard: It must be BC only, cause in Alberta vehicle age is the only determining factor when it comes to collector plates and insurance. Both my 72 and 68 qualify for collector plates, regardless of condition or modifications.

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:24 AM   #15
old man jimmy

I hope all you guys are taking this with a grain of salt. Because each state sets their own set of rules, and most are all different. So If you really want to register as a classic, check your state dmv for their rules. In TX. you gain nothing with classic plates except costing $10.00 more each year to register. With antique plates you gain a lot, but have an awful lot of restriction. Personally I don't like giving anyone an excuse to stop me.
old man jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:12 AM   #16
Torrey72
Rollin in my K5 toaster

mustardjimmy71;
Torrey72
ct 70s' rock! nothing like a dozen grown men drunk our minds riding the local walking trails on ct70s' and z50s'. i wish we had pics but that would require someone to operate a camera.

This one is mine. I shoehorned a new 110cc engine in it. It can top out the speedo at 55mph and pull wheelies threw an intersection. It is way more fun then my 750... though I look a little foolish riding it around town when I do. It mostly tags along in the back of the Blazer when I go camping. What I am looking to do is build a back bumper that holds the CT-70 like you would see a spare tire on the back gate. It would be my little lifeboat when I go up in the woods. How sweet would that look.
Attached Images

Last edited by Torrey72; 02-22-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #17
Effeckt

Mine isn't registered as a "classic" but it is insured as a collector car. Registration here grants you nothing but a specialized plate. I looked it up though and did discover that the renewals for historic vehicles is cheaper. However, any vehicle over 25 years old can be insured as a collector car which makes you emissions exempt and a few other benefits. The only restriction is the amount you drive. Fortunately mine is not a DD so that isn't a problem for me.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:54 PM   #18
mustardjimmy71
toys'r'us

torrey- have tou seen the bushwacker model kit from amt? you pretty much just described it. ct70 on the back of a 69-72 jimmy. its a pricey one if u can find it
Old 02-23-2011, 02:57 AM   #19
RED72blazer
urban fourwheelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey72 View Post
Um, well I don't know about that. I doubt that the thought of a few classic plated cars driving around keeps the state lawmakers up at night. I would argue that the $4.6 Billion budget shortfall would have more to say about that then anything else. Gov. Chris Gregoire wanted to Tax bottled water for crying out loud.
Well, I do know about that.... I wrote everyone on the list below. I even got a few responses. One of them mentioned that they feel it is a loophole in the system that people abuse.....It's been defeated this year.....but it will be back. I highly suggest that any of you reading this Join the SEMA action network so you can find out about this type of stuff.

Legislation (H.B. 1134) has been introduced in the Washington State Legislature by Representative Fred Finn (fred.finn@leg.wa.gov) and Representative Zack Hudgins (zack.hudgins@leg.wa.gov) that threatens to require annual renewal fees for collector vehicle and horseless carriage license plates. Under the bill, the initial $35 license plate fee for these vehicles would remain and a new annual $30 renewal fee would be added. Under Washington law, a collector vehicle is any motor vehicle that is more than thirty years old, while a horseless carriage is defined as a vehicle that is more than forty years old.

We Urge You to Contact Members of the Washington House Transportation Committee (List Below) Immediately to Request Their Opposition to H.B. 1134

* H.B. 1134 ignores the fact that these older cars are infrequently driven (about one-third the miles each year as a new vehicle) second or third vehicles and deserving of reduced registration fees.

* H.B. 1134 singles out and targets owners of older cars as revenue boosters to compensate for state budget shortfalls.

* H.B. 1134 ignores the fact that many collector vehicles are owned and maintained by low and fixed income Americans who are less able to afford a higher, annual fee.

DON’T DELAY! Please contact members of the House Transportation Committee immediately by e-mail to request their opposition to H.B. 1134. Please e-mail a copy of your letter to Steve McDonald at stevem@sema.org. Also, please forward this Alert to your fellow car enthusiasts. Urge them to join the SAN and help defend the hobby! Thank you for your assistance.

Washington House Transportation Committee

Representative Judy Clibborn - Chair

Phone: 360/786-7926

Email: judy.clibborn@leg.wa.gov

Representative Andy Billig - Vice Chair

Phone: 360/786-7888

Email: andy.billig@leg.wa.gov

Representative Marko Liias - Vice Chair

Phone: 360/786-7972

Email: marko.liias@leg.wa.gov

Representative Mike Armstrong

Phone: 360/786-7832

Email: mike.armstrong@leg.wa.gov

Representative Jan Angel

Phone: 360/786-7964

Email: jan.angel@leg.wa.gov

Representative Katrina Asay

Phone: 360/786-7830

Email: katrina.asay@leg.wa.gov

Representative Deb Eddy

Phone: 360/786-7848

Email: deb.eddy@leg.wa.gov

Representative Fred Finn

Phone: 360/786-7902

Email: fred.finn@leg.wa.gov

Representative Joe Fitzgibbon

Phone: 360/786-7952

Email: joe.fitzgibbon@leg.wa.gov

Representative Mark Hargrove

Phone: 360/786-7918

Email: mark.hargrove@leg.wa.gov

Representative Laurie Jinkins

Phone: 360/786-7930

Email: laurie.jinkins@leg.wa.gov

Representative Norm Johnson

Phone: 360/786-7810

Email: norm.johnson@leg.wa.gov

Representative Brad Klippert

Phone: 360/786-7882

Email: brad.klippert@leg.wa.gov

Representative Dan Kristiansen

Phone: 360/786-7967

Email: dan.kristiansen@leg.wa.gov

Representative Connie Ladenburg

Phone: 360/786-7906

Email: connie.ladenburg@leg.wa.gov

Representative Jim McCune

Phone: 360/786-7824

Email: jim.mccune@leg.wa.gov

Representative Jim Moeller

Phone: 360/786-7872

Email: jim.moeller@leg.wa.gov

Representative Jeff Morris

Phone: 360/786-7970

Email: jeff.morris@leg.wa.gov

Representative Luis Moscoso

Phone: 360/786-7900

Email: luis.moscoso@leg.wa.gov

Representative Jason Overstreet

Phone: 360/786-7980

Email: jason.overstreet@leg.wa.gov

Representative Chris Reykdal

Phone: 360/786-7940

Email: chris.reykdal@leg.wa.gov

Representative Ann Rivers

Phone: 360/786-7850

Email: ann.rivers@leg.wa.gov

Representative Jay Rodne

Phone: 360/786-7852

Email: jay.rodne@leg.wa.gov

Representative Christine Rolfes

Phone: 360/786-7842

Email: christine.rolfes@leg.wa.gov

Representative Cindy Ryu

Phone: 360/786-7880

Email: cindy.ryu@leg.wa.gov

Representative Matt Shea

Phone: 360/786-7984

Email: matt.shea@leg.wa.gov

Representative Dean Takko

Phone: 360/786-7806

Email: dean.takko@leg.wa.gov

Representative Dave Upthegrove

Phone: 360/786-7868

Email: dave.upthegrove@leg.wa.gov

Representative Hans Zeiger

Phone: 360/786-7968

Email: hans.zeiger@leg.wa.gov

Last edited by RED72blazer; 02-23-2011 at 02:57 AM.
RED72blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:11 PM   #20
Torrey72
Rollin in my K5 toaster

Torrey72: "Um, well I don't know about that. I doubt that the thought of a few classic plated cars driving around keeps the state lawmakers up at night. I would argue that the $4.6 Billion budget shortfall would have more to say about that then anything else. Gov. Chris Gregoire wanted to Tax bottled water for crying out loud."

RED72BLAZER: "Well, I do know about that.... I wrote everyone on the list below. I even got a few responses. One of them mentioned that they feel it is a loophole in the system that people abuse.....It's been defeated this year.....but it will be back. I highly suggest that any of you reading this Join the SEMA action network so you can find out about this type of stuff."

I understand what had been proposed. Though it is still my opinion that the driving force behind the legislation is a mere ruse used to squeeze more tax money out of people. The Governor had said some time back about leaving no stone unturned. Regarding ways to shore up the bloated Washington state budget. If you notice, the two people that submitted the bill are from the same party as the Governor. If classic drivers driving was a real problem the bill would not have any problem gaining bipartisan support. The lawmakers have people employed full time digging threw every single state office looking for “loopholes” to close. I would almost argue that prior to the interns finding the Collector plate rules. Finn and Zack knew about as much about Collector plates and the habits of their drivers as my Grandma knows. Real problems have real numbers to back them up. The only basis for the new tax on Collectors was an empty statement not supported by any true figures just empty prejudice towards a minority of drivers. It is the same as all the lame excuses used to tax people. For example, the state also wanted to tax people that have water wells on their property. How is that ok? People that have wells pay 100% of upkeep on the well. They paid to drill it, paid for a permit to put it on their own property and pay 100% of the electricity to power it. You and I know that rain and ground water in the Northwest is in no jeopardy of depleting anytime soon. This was just another attempt the state was trying to use to tax a minority of people the state was hoping the majority of Pierce and King County city living people would impose on the rural living minority.

Respectfully, I agree with you that losing the Collector plate rules are a concern. Especially for me. I really have way too many cars to license each year. However the roadways are not bloated with Collector plates and State Police are not pushing or endorsing the elimination of the Classic clause. That being said. I feel it is a fake problem used to tax a minority people.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #21
NateK4340

Mine is registered as a classic here in Texas with YOM plates. My main reason for classic registration was so that I could run YOM license plates. Thats about the only perk that came with classic registration at the time. Now the laws have changed and YOM plates can only be used with antique registration that does not allow the vehicle to be driven daily.

In the Garage:
'02 Silverado Ext. Cab Z71 5.3l
'70 C20 Longstep 402BB
NateK4340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:53 PM   #22
BLACK AND BLUE 67-72
Firefighter

Antique tags here!!!
Yellville, Ar. USA

BLACK AND BLUE 67-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:59 PM   #23
Gobbles

My truck cannot qualify as a classic here because:

1) Don't have 10 years driving experience
2) Don't have another car on the road.

In BC, Canada, these are the two killers for me Not sure if you folks elsewhere have similar rules but it makes it tough for us younger guys to save cash on insurance.

"You already said spite"
Gobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:17 PM   #24
eagleuh1

Mine has antique tags in Arkansas. Its been all over the country, almost driven daily and towed travel trailer everywhere. Haven't been stopped yet. Was more afraid of getting stopped because it was held on with tye wraps till I got the bracket cut to fit around frame hitch. Was just blowing in the breeze. Also no light yet.
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:26 PM   #25
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Historical tags on my burb, norma tags on the longhorn.
I have the 72 plates on the burb, no annual renewal, only need the one on the back, but technicly you can't drive it except club functions, paraids and for repair... something like that anyways. But no one treats them like that here.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote