The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-19-2018, 05:54 PM   #1
CURSED GEARS

Mechanical curiosity?

Greetings Gang! I usually use the search, and find answers here, but I'm stumped this time and wouldn't even know how to phrase it to attempt to find an answer.
Here it is. My truck was a long bed. (1970 Chevy C10) I needed a new cab floor and My frame had issues. Since the cab had to come off anyway, I figured it was a good time to find a better frame.
Found a nice rust free frame. Problem was, (or happy circumstance) the frame was a short bed frame. I like short beds, so I bought the frame. Now I had to find a short bed, which I did.
Here is the problem. My long bed was lowered 4 inches in the front with four inch springs. Four inch springs in the rear too. This left the truck with a rake I didn't like, so I also added 2 inch blocks in the rear to level it out.
I cleaned and painted up the new frame. The sub frame, or the bolt in part that the front suspension attaches to, was in better condition then the new frame, so it was detached, cleaned, then bolted on to the new frame. The rear suspension, with all of the lowering equipment, was bolted to the new frame.
I finished the cab, and placed it on the frame. It is sitting on brand new Energy Suspension cab supports bushings, as well as the radiator support bushings.
My truck no longer looks lowered. I have 5 inches or so between my tires and wheel wells. The bed is the same way, about 5 inches.
I thought maybe because of the new bushings, this was the reason, but I saved the old ones and their about the same size.
Thought maybe the front springs didn't seat properly, but that wouldn't explain the bed.
Sorry I was so windy, but wanted you all to know what was done so you could make an educated guess.
Anyway, thanks.
CURSED GEARS is offline   Reply With Quote