The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-12-2009, 06:17 PM   #11
kustombrad

Re: Project "49 No Buck$"

I used a steering column from a '70 GMC pickup I found on Craigslist for $30! (he sold me another one that the blinker arm didn't work on for an extra $10!!!! I so scored!!!) I used the stock lower bracket and the original '49 upper bracket. After figuring out the right bolt length ( I used 4 1/2" bolts), I found some 1" long sleeves to drop the column down to where it needed to be. Now I need to trim all the floor area that the previous owner cut with a torch and make a nice filler panel that goes around the column.
On the outside, I had a game plan to mate the box and column together. I took the steering shaft that I got with the column, drilled out the plastic plugs and knocked the male and female pieces apart. I did the same with the wagon box' shaft. I then slid the 2 pieces together to make them work as one. After pulling them to the length I figured would be about right, I drilled an 1/8" hole using the female shafts original holes (where I drilled out the plastic) just deep enough for a couple of aluminum rivets. I have about 3/8" clearance at the header, so I'm ok. I still want the column to collapse in an accident, so those should work. As soon as I get the brakes done, I can blow this thing apart to sandblast and paint. I'm getting excited now... I still want the column to collapse in an accident, so those should work.

Last edited by kustombrad; 11-12-2009 at 04:34 PM.
kustombrad is offline   Reply With Quote