The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2018, 10:41 PM   #1
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA

Re: Best fuel line thread sealant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieinNC View Post
You need an inverted flare barbed fitting like this one....not a tapered pipe thread style fitting you are trying to seal....

Check your local auto parts store...

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/produc...yABEgLMdPD_BwE
Here is what I was using. It looks uncannily similar to what is pictured in that link.
I ended up doing what I said with cutting the old metal line end and splicing it with the rubber hose (temporarily).

PROJECT JIGSAW 1967 GMC C3500
GREAT WHITE 1986 Blazer M1009
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:34 AM   #2
68Gold/white

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHWAY BY THE SEA View Post
Here is what I was using. It looks uncannily similar to what is pictured in that link.
I ended up doing what I said with cutting the old metal line end and splicing it with the rubber hose (temporarily).

Well, crap, that fitting should have worked.....

That fittting might be able to be made to work....possibly the edge of the taper is stopping the tapered part from seating against the carb inlet nut.

I will try to find another type of that fitting, and take a picture of it, post it here...

Do you remember what size hose you used???
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:44 AM   #3
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Gold/white View Post
Well, crap, that fitting should have worked.....

That fittting might be able to be made to work....possibly the edge of the taper is stopping the tapered part from seating against the carb inlet nut.

I will try to find another type of that fitting, and take a picture of it, post it here...

Do you remember what size hose you used???
I used 5/16 fuel line.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:04 PM   #4
68Gold/white

Quote:

Oh well...I went to parts store, they did not have what I was looking for...

If you look inside the carb fitting, some of the inverted seats in the inlet nuts were smaller than one would think.

I believe (as others have stated...) that the taper on the fitting you installed, and inverted seat are not touching to make a seal.

You MIGHT be able to grind the end of the threads down (make the end flat)some to make those 2 pieces meet...the might part is some what iffy. I believe your new fitting is made of steel ( a magnet will tell). It may not mate together with the inverted seat in the carb fitting.......

The steel tubing works better because the flared end inside the nut is some what soft and pliable, allowing the inverted seal...so thatm,ight be your only way to go, for a while. Using 2 clamps is a good idea, I usually always use 2 clamps. if possible...
Old 11-03-2018, 01:51 PM   #5
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA

Quote:
Oh well...I went to parts store, they did not have what I was looking for...

If you look inside the carb fitting, some of the inverted seats in the inlet nuts were smaller than one would think.

I believe (as others have stated...) that the taper on the fitting you installed, and inverted seat are not touching to make a seal.

You MIGHT be able to grind the end of the threads down (make the end flat)some to make those 2 pieces meet...the might part is some what iffy. I believe your new fitting is made of steel ( a magnet will tell). It may not mate together with the inverted seat in the carb fitting.......

The steel tubing works better because the flared end inside the nut is some what soft and pliable, allowing the inverted seal...so thatm,ight be your only way to go, for a while. Using 2 clamps is a good idea, I usually always use 2 clamps. if possible...
I may later try to use those copper bushings or steel lines. Maybe both, because I am JINXED anytime I try to connect any type of liquid-containing threaded pipes. They ALWAYS leak!!!!!
Old 11-05-2018, 09:22 AM   #6
68Gold/white

Quote:
I may later try to use those copper bushings or steel lines. Maybe both, because I am JINXED anytime I try to connect any type of liquid-containing threaded pipes. They ALWAYS leak!!!!!
I have seen those copper bushings. The ones I am familiar with are for AN fittings. I have never seen them offered for inverted flare stuff ( I worked in a parts store, way back), but I have obviously NOT seen everything...

LOL, I think the race car person needs to come over and bend up a piece of steel line!!!
Old 11-05-2018, 10:31 AM   #7
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA

Quote:
I have seen those copper bushings. The ones I am familiar with are for AN fittings. I have never seen them offered for inverted flare stuff ( I worked in a parts store, way back), but I have obviously NOT seen everything...

LOL, I think the race car person needs to come over and bend up a piece of steel line!!!
HA! Maybe, but I honestly do not know him all that well. I happened by his house when I was walking one day, and stopped to talk with him about his race car that he always works on in his yard. That was when I asked him for assistance in showing me how to set TDC and install a HEI in my GMC. He went beyond that by doing most of the work while my son and I assisted and listened carefully to his instructions. All three of us were under that hood! He was nice enough to do that for a neighbor that he does not really know. Great guy!
Old 11-05-2018, 11:27 AM   #8
68Gold/white

Quote:
HA! Maybe, but I honestly do not know him all that well. I happened by his house when I was walking one day, and stopped to talk with him about his race car that he always works on in his yard. That was when I asked him for assistance in showing me how to set TDC and install a HEI in my GMC. He went beyond that by doing most of the work while my son and I assisted and listened carefully to his instructions. All three of us were under that hood! He was nice enough to do that for a neighbor that he does not really know. Great guy!
Almost all parts stores sell steel tubing that is flared on both ends with the flare nuts already installed, in different lengths. I would like to think that the carburetor end is the same fitting.

You can take a close measurement and get a piece that is slightly long thatn what you need. You can generally make the bends work to make connections on both ends. Not particularly easy, might buy 2 pieces (I usually do, and I have done this too many times, experience wise...). Mr race car might be able to gitterdone easily! Then I would place the inline fuel filter in the hose feeding the pump...

Did you ever find center caps for your aluminum wheels??? Those look to be Western (Brand name) turbine wheels. Might have to measure the hole size and go from there. Not sure if Western still makes aftermarket wheels. An internet search might do the job...I prefer rally wheels...although those turbine wheels would look better with some TLC, and polishing the smooth surfaces. THere are folks that restore wheels, your's wouldn't need much, but some of those companies don't know when to stop charging for their services...
Old 11-05-2018, 02:38 PM   #9
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA

Quote:
Did you ever find center caps for your aluminum wheels??? Those look to be Western (Brand name) turbine wheels. Might have to measure the hole size and go from there. Not sure if Western still makes aftermarket wheels. An internet search might do the job...I prefer rally wheels...although those turbine wheels would look better with some TLC, and polishing the smooth surfaces. THere are folks that restore wheels, your's wouldn't need much, but some of those companies don't know when to stop charging for their services...
Not yet! I sure would like to though! The powder coating is perfect, but the lack of center cap is very noticible.
I just sold my Rally wheels to a board member!