The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-27-2002, 10:17 AM   #1
shawn

Edelbrock # 1406

Just got though putting in a new engine in the 72. Everything worked perfect until the carb started acting up. It looks like there is fuel leaking around the carb and is puddling up on top of the intake manifold. I checked the nuts on the intake studs for the carb and they were tight. I might have a bad gasket which I will check on this afternoon. I doubt that this is the problem though so this is why I am posting.

The truck is flooding out horribly. I have to keep the RPM's above 2500 while stopped to keep her running. I am wondering if the vacuum to the carb is giving problems in that it is leaving the secondaries wide open? Anybody out there ran into a problem like this?

http://community.webshots.com/user/shawn72chevy

Wichita, KS

shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 10:38 AM   #2
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

What type of fuel pump are you running? If it's a high volume pump, or an electric one the pressure could be set too high causing the bowls to overflow, therfore causing the problem you are describing. If not then it is likely that the vaccum is stuck.
Old 06-27-2002, 11:23 AM   #3
Blue68

First and Formost:
Edelbrocks don't have gaskets below the fuel line.

Is the fuel pooling on the outside of the intake? I'd have to be with Josh in that you have too much fuel pressure. Have you done anything to the carb?

How long did it set while you were swapping out the motor? Did you dump all the fuel? If you let a carb sit more than a couple of months with any fuel in it it won't run unless you keep the rpms up. Take it off and run lots of Berryman B-12 through it. If that the problem it'll run like new. I had this problem.

As for the leak, make sure your lines going to the carb aren't leaking.

'68 C-10 LWB, '98 Z-71 350 w/accessories (Serpentine), Edelbrock Performer, Edelbrock 1405 (600cfm) carb, GM HEI, CompCam Extreme 4x4 roller cam, Thorley Headers, Carter Electric Fuel Pump, Vintage Air, 700r4, 3.73, disc brakes and power steering upgrades.
Blue68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 11:29 AM   #4
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

If the pressure is set too high the bowls will over fill causing the primaries to leak without throttle being applied. That is what I meant. It may also be the cause of a line leak. If the inlet line is not metal, then there could have been a little bulging in the line causing a small leak, explaining the puddling on the intake. I know most lines are rated for something like 35psi, but they do leak from less pressure from time to time.
Old 06-27-2002, 11:41 AM   #5
shawn

It is a Carter fuel pump rated at 120 gph at 6 p.s.i. with a 330 hp h.o. GM engine and part # 1406 Edelbrock carb.

You guys are probably correct, too much flow rate.

Everything is new on it (including the fuel) so no it has not been sitting around more than 1 week.

Thanks for your help fellows ~ Shawn

Wichita, KS

Old 06-27-2002, 11:55 AM   #6
Blue68

Shawn, that's the same fuel setup I'm running and I've not had any problems. Granted my carb has a few more miles on it.

Make sure your lines are tight at all fittings on the leak front.

I'd also jump (very carfully) the fuel pump and check the output into a can. It should be fairly healthy. I dropped my Edelbrock on two separate moters (a stock 307 and a modified 350) with no problems at all that were not of my creation.

Did it every run correctly with the carb and pump you have now? "Everything worked perfect until the carb started acting up."

Do you have a fuel filter right before the Carb? If not, did you have old steel lines that you didn't replace. There could be some debris blocking the internals of the Carb.

Gremlins like this can be a pain and make you want to chunk the Carb. Fight that urge.

'68 C-10 LWB, '98 Z-71 350 w/accessories (Serpentine), Edelbrock Performer, Edelbrock 1405 (600cfm) carb, GM HEI, CompCam Extreme 4x4 roller cam, Thorley Headers, Carter Electric Fuel Pump, Vintage Air, 700r4, 3.73, disc brakes and power steering upgrades.
Blue68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 12:02 PM   #7
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

6Ppsi is a little too much pressure. It should be set at about 41/2 to 5. Do you have a pressure regulator? If not get one, they are invaluable to tuning the fuel system. Too much pressure run like ****, too little pressure run like ****. Remember, it only has to replace the fuel you burn.
Old 06-27-2002, 12:18 PM   #8
shawn

I can not jump the pump because it is mechanical. I should clarify. I just got finished with the swap tuesday. When I first fired her up it took a while to get it started which I was especting. I have only started it a handfull of times after that and each time it takes quite a bit of turning to get it going. But it has progressively become worse. The fuel problem was not as severe as it was at first. Yes it is pooling up on the intake. All lines and fittings are tight and have no leaks. This is coming directly from the carb (99% sure of it). The first time I took it on a drive I could tell that the carb needed some tuning. Mainly that the secondaries were not opening up in time (that is what it felt like anyway). There was a lull or a bog down of the engine while accelerating at certain RPM's. So hopefully it is not the fuel pump pressure....should not be since it worked fine for you.

~Shawn

Wichita, KS

Old 06-27-2002, 12:27 PM   #9
Desert Rat

Dirty stuck float?
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 11:44 PM   #10
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

As for the fuel on the intake, about the only place it can be coming from is the throttle shaft. I had one leak there. If it is, the carb is junk. This part is not in the rebuild kit.
Is your timing set properly? This kinda sounds like a lazy advance or over advanced to me.
It could also be your carb thoguh. If you have a chrome fue line anywhere, rip the top 1/2 of your carb off and look in the bowls. You may well find chrome chips in there.
Matter of fact. ripping it off isn't a bad idea. You may have sucked in some crap out of your tank and not know, you'd be amazed at how much will get through your filter and settle in the bottom of your floats.(I run 2 inline filters and stuff still gets through.)
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 12:59 AM   #11
Mountain Man

Im with Longhornmail on this one. I have the same carb, and I would strongly suggest that you have some debris blocking the seats, and causing flooding. Lightly tap on the carb with a wooden handle of a hammer. This will usually loosen any blockage at the seats. If still flooding, pinch the fuel line while running to starve the carb of fuel, then let go once it almost stalls.

If this does not work, then take the top half of carb off and clean and inspect. Edelbrock actually encourages this as routine maintenance.
A/C dash
Factory tilt
350 / 350 power train - with Edelbrock components.
Mountain Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 09:57 AM   #12
kpf

Kinda had the same problem, I put a brand new carb on and the truck was rally running like crap. Also had fuel leaking, checked fuel pump, checked for debris, etc.. The problem was that the float level was set incorrectly. I would suggest taking the top part of the carb off and set your float levels correctly. You should get a float gauge with the carb or rebuild kit. After that the truck ran fine.
kpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 02:14 PM   #13
shawn

I took out the carb and the old filter. I disassemble the filter (Wicks inline) and saw that there is a hole through it. I then took off the carb and there was all sorts of dirt and crap in there. I readjusted the floats (they were never set correctly by factory) to a 11/32 gap. I then saw that the needles had crap on them too. I put it back together and put on 2 inline filters and she runs great!

Thanks for all of the help guys! ~ Shawn

Wichita, KS

Old 06-28-2002, 09:33 PM   #14
slam33

1406's need a 6 psi pump. Thats what Edel says

" TARGET=_blank>http://www.geocities.com/stevemau/slam33page.html?1004806705410

</A>
slam33 is offline   Reply With Quote