The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2004, 05:52 PM   #1
GreyHoundSteve

Launch, springs vs bags

This is something i have been wondering for awhile. Will a bagged truck be able to take off as well as a static dropped truck? The reason i ask is because my Supra had a better gate time after i swapped out the stock springs and shocks for a pair of eibach drag launch springs and bilstein shocks. I was told the improvement was because the eibach's were stiffer so they kept more tire on the track. Is this true? If it is then one can only assume that a truck equiped with bags wouldnt grip as well because of the softer rear, that is unless you fully filled the bags and in that case i would think any improvement in launch would be negated by the extra wind drag. What do you guys think? Will a bagged truck hook up as well as a static dropped truck on a track?
GreyHoundSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 06:19 PM   #2
rodnok1

I think you would have the ability to tune with bags, so you could probably achieve better results. I wouldn't think fully inflated bags would help on a truck already light in the back. Seems you would need some weight to transfer or you'd have too much wheel spin. Any actually lowering, be it static or bag should help overall times anyways.

64 Panel 1/2 Ton
350cubes/400hp
BorgWarner t-10
3:73 Auburn Posi
rodnok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 06:25 PM   #3
Izzy
Trucker.

After I installed my weld on 4 link and sleeve bags on my 83 it launched significanlty better. It was a mainly stock 305 with a shift kit but I could tell the difference from leaf to the bags.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 07:32 PM   #4
bagged72blaz
Got L.E.D.s

Well with bags you can actually lift the front, and drop the back to acheive weight transfer before you even move. The you can drop the front when you hook up. Mine seemed to improve when I installed bags.