The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2005, 12:43 PM   #1
chrismoore701

CHEVY or GMC I need help

Sorry I haven’t been back on in a while. I do check the sight and you guys are the best for information, can’t wait till I get to start on my truck. And I am still trying to dig out some more pictures of my truck; sorry it is taking so long. I went for a stroll through a junk yard yesterday looking for parts for my wife’s jeep, and you know you can’t just go there to look for jeeps you have to look for your truck, you never know what you will find, I found a nice chrome front bumper, but already have one. I mentioned before the floors are shot on my truck cab, not sure who it was, but someone replied that it would be better to replace the cab, he said he bought his for $75. So here is the question of the day I found a nice solid ’83 GMC cab for $140 at the yard, mine is a ’79 Chevy. I want my truck to be Chevy but with the vins in the cab, won’t this make my truck a GMC now. I know it should fit, only surface rust on the floor. What do you guys think; I am pretty sure you can’t just swap the vins so the cab will be titled as a Chevy. I just have a hang up on GMC I like the Chevy Badge. I need your thoughts. Thanks again for the best web site I have on my computer. Even better than all my snowmobile sites.

Chris
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 01:50 PM   #2
beaterC10

Couldn't you just swap the vins or call the BMV to find out what they suggest? The junk yard might keep the vin anyway, they typically keep the titles on junk vehicles.

I recently obtained an Indiana title and vin for a truck bed trailer I bought without a title in Michigan. I had to have a couple police inpsections and fill out a couple forms, but it wasn't real painful. My neighbor is a cop and performed the "inspections" from his front door.

I would call the BMV and ask an anonymous "what if" question about what to do. It took me two phone calls to find out what to do with my trailer.

The key to the deal seems to be persistence and creative thinking.
beaterC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 02:33 PM   #3
Phuloi68

Just call the BMV, tell them you plan on building a TOY. A truck made from different ones, and what do you run into when you start swapping parts as far as title goes.

Indy survivor
Norwood survivor
Big Sandy survivor

for those who fight for it...
F R E E D O M
has a price the protected
will never know.
Phuloi68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 03:30 PM   #4
chrismoore701

Well another thought, I was talking to my buddy, I am not sure but is the vins on the removable dash, or is it attached to the body of the truck? just another thought.
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote