The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2005, 07:01 PM   #1
BigSky71
LAIDOUT

Question Tranny X-member q'tion: 68 standard vs. 71 auto

I noticed that when I removed the motor and tranny from my '71 that the crossmember on that truck is flat on top where the tail of the transmission bolts on [its an auto]. But on my 68 SWB frame [truck was 4-speed] that the crossmember is rounded where my tranny would mount. So I am hoping that I just need to buy an automatic transmission mount for a 68 frame to mount my TH350, or do I need to swap the crossmembers? Hope I don't have to switch them, the 68 framed is already primed and painted. Thanks for any help.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:03 PM   #2
Putter
More Cowbell....

If it is rivited in place and of the top two rivits you can only see one (looking from the engine bay rearwards) and the other one is hidden by the cab, then you the standard-shift one and will need to replace it. I just finished that on mine Monday. PITA getting to those hidden rivits, but it can be done. The automatic crossmember will mount farther towards the rear.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:56 PM   #3
BigSky71
LAIDOUT

So it is a different setup, I will change it over. I have good access as both frames will be stripped of the cabs when that time comes. So to re-attach the crossmember I can just use appropriately sized Grade 8 bolts and nuts I presume? Thanks again.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:40 AM   #4
purple gas

Much easier job with the cabs off. I just used grade 8 bolts myself. If I remember correctly there's a couple extra holdes in the frame, so make sure your tranny fits proper beffore you mount your cab, or at least put your bolts in so they can be removed if things don't line up.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:12 AM   #5
Putter
More Cowbell....

I agree with P-Gas. I am sliding the motor/tranny into mine before I tighten down the cross-member. That way I can move it if I have mis-judged my location by a hole ot two.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:37 PM   #6
BigSky71
LAIDOUT

Thanks for help guys. I ground the rivets down and pulled the standard tranny mount out. I wish I had known earlier, I probably spend a few extra hours cleaning and painting that portion of the frame
, well now I know!
Old 02-25-2005, 12:49 PM   #7
dtlilly
Account Suspended

You are doing it, and doing it correctly! Gives the rest of us confidence that it's not as bad as it looks. Make sure to take plenty of pics, maybe you can post a "how to" thread in the FAQ section!
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 04:28 PM   #8
BigSky71
LAIDOUT

Well here is the current state of my project. Yellow '71 Cheyenne going onto short frame that is now clean and black... but needing the auto tranny cross member from the lwb frame.

Notice there is no snow, its February in Montana but no moisture for us, sucks really. But it does make it easier to rebuild my truck this time of year.