The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-28-2002, 11:48 PM   #1
barn9
Half a bubble off!

Question Valve covers, use bolts or studs?

Bought a set of newer style BB alum. valve covers from another member, and I need to find bolts or studs for them. What do you all use? I found some at Summit (stainless and expensive) that look to be good ones, but would like to hear some opinions.

And if anyone has any for sale, I would be interested. Never hurts to ask. 1/4" X 20 thread is correct isn't it? They're going on my 402 BB.

Oh, and thanks to Pickmup too! He came up with the valve covers, and I appreciate his help. This board is so great!!
Old 07-29-2002, 12:06 AM   #2
68 Stepside
huh?

Howdy Mr. Brim...ah forget it....

I prefer to use studs on the valve covers, I've used both regular bolts, and studs. I don't have any pros/cons, but oh well...you wanted opinions, so I gave you one...LOL

TJ
Things we said today.

RIP El Jay
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 10:35 AM   #3
junkyardjohn

Thumbs up STUDS

I LIKE TO USE STUDS ON THE VALVE COVERS & OIL PAN. I DON'T SEE ANY PARTICULAR BENIFIT, OTHER THAN IT MAKES IT EASYER TO PUT GASKETS ON, & THEY LOOK COOL AS H@LL. I USE 1/4-20 ONE INCH LONG ALLEN HEAD SET SCREWS, & RED LOCTITE. THEY'RE ABOUT 25 CENTS EACH. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 10:40 AM   #4
slam33

ARP polished SS long stud kit and Moroso long hold downs

" TARGET=_blank>http://www.geocities.com/stevemau/slam33page.html?1004806705410

</A>
slam33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 12:33 PM   #5
MikeB

I bought some ARP studs for my small block valve covers, but ended up not using the lower ones because my Made-for-You plug wire looms need longer allen head bolts. I could have gotten by with half a set! They are cool though -- tapered stud heads let you literally drop the nut on. Even my fat fingers haven't managed to lose a nut yet. Well, there was that time when I had the nuts on a shop rag laying on the intake manifold, and later decided to use the rag to wipe my hands. As I was grabbing it, I remembered the 4 nuts, but they had already gone their own separate ways --one down the intake manifold. I was able to retrieve them all, though.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote