The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2002, 02:41 AM   #1
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

Question Invite Through Board ???

I met a guy here locally that has a decent 70 long bed, and i also met another guy through E-bay (I'm bidding on his stepside tailgate) They both are really nice guys that would be an asset to this forum.

Does the board have a spot that we can send an invite out of? My RADIO CONTROL board does. You go to that page and fill in the prospects e-mail address and it ( the board sends an invitation) And you get credit for a referal.

RON
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 03:04 AM   #2
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

in that case i know of a handful of locals here that i could refer that way, i have been trying to refer certain locals to this forum for quite a while, some who own 67-72 and some who are messing with 73-up projects, etc., and they just never make it to on here, they dont know what they are missing out on.,

i think that ppl just asuume that this just some little low traffic site like any others are,, they just dont know,. they need to see it to know,
so I am stil the only local person online here, and I am unaware of anyone being on here from bloomington or peoria, or pekin, or champaign or anythig, and those arent just little towns, so...
l dunno... lol.

ppl in IL just arent into this stuff really or at least where I am, isnt much here anyways as far as vehicle hobby,
no real sources of parts, no real speed shops no real aftermarket parts shops, no real custom shops, no real project vehicles worth a damn or solid enough to even attempt to build, so,,..

you pose a good question though, however

good luck

Last edited by Fast68Chevy; 08-24-2002 at 03:10 AM.
Fast68Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 11:51 AM   #3
RON WOODGEARD

RANDY,

PEOPLE no where are into it the way they used to be..
i'm 50 years old and at about 17 to 25 (in the era of the HI-PO cars) you could cruise the streets of many towns (mine was SPOKANE WASHINGTON) and if you didn't race from stop light to stop light it wasn't the guys next to you fault. Heck I even raced cop cars from stop lights. They never messed with you, they were just patroling to be sure everyone was safe. It was beautiful, a CAR SHOW EVERY WEEKEND. CAMS that idled at a minimum of 2000 rpm. tunnel rams, blowers,enderle fuel injection stacks out of the hood, beautiful paint jobs, GIRLS, GIRLS (did I mention GIRLS) etc.etc.
Now we're a dying breed.

as they say in LATIN "AUT VINCERI,AUT MORI"
Old 08-24-2002, 12:23 PM   #4
BadAzz70PU
Long Lost Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RON WOODGEARD
RANDY,

PEOPLE no where are into it the way they used to be..
i'm 50 years old and at about 17 to 25 (in the era of the HI-PO cars) you could cruise the streets of many towns (mine was SPOKANE WASHINGTON) and if you didn't race from stop light to stop light it wasn't the guys next to you fault. Heck I even raced cop cars from stop lights. They never messed with you, they were just patroling to be sure everyone was safe. It was beautiful, a CAR SHOW EVERY WEEKEND. CAMS that idled at a minimum of 2000 rpm. tunnel rams, blowers,enderle fuel injection stacks out of the hood, beautiful paint jobs, GIRLS, GIRLS (did I mention GIRLS) etc.etc.
Now we're a dying breed.

as they say in LATIN "AUT VINCERI,AUT MORI"
This scene is coming back (well except for the racing cops part). The two cities that I frequent (philadelphia and Greenville SC) both have large weekly gatherings of cars. Mostly younger guys, 16-25, that own the cars. The difference is that they are mostly imports. I know you guys think imports arent anything but its a big market and its what kids are into these days. I used to hate them to, until I bought one to save on gas, now I love it, I almost feel unsafe driving my truck and before long, my import will be much faster than my truck also.
Web Site
1995 Eclipse GSX
-15.46 @ 88mph (stock, not for long)
College student at Clemson (SC)
Home in Langhorne Pa
BadAzz70PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 03:20 PM   #5
RON WOODGEARD

TONY,TONY,TONY,

Give some of us OLD GUYS a break....HEHEHE

I love imports!! I've owned TWO MITSUBISHI 3000 GTs and now drive an ECLIPSE. ALONG with a FORD 350 extended cab 4X4.

The day The US auto makers build a vehicle that handles and performs the way my 3000s and the ECLIPSE do at the same cost I'll buy it until then DETROIT will have to keep their OVERPRICED so-called HOTRODS. (even though I've got my eye on the FORD LIGHTNING) 385 H.P. and chevy won't (we know they can) match it. I don't know if you've , looked at them or not but they'll grab you by the A** when you punch it.

Here in the wide open desert roads we still have a chance to "OPEN EM UP" once in a while.

You can build those PEANUT engines to haul with RPM.

RON,
Old 08-24-2002, 10:36 PM   #6
68C10

Talking

Ron,

I remember too !!!!
South Plainfield, NJ
68C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 12:07 AM   #7
bbs1965
Open Sundays 10 till 10

Please God tell me I didn't just read about a ford lightning which runs low 9's in the eighth mile being considered fast.

God whatever happened to low 8's 1/8th mile being a decent daily driver. By the way a mild 350 in a swb will do this all day.
a/c ps pb auto daily driver.
thats mid 7's on a 150 shot.
nothing more then a comp 292 performer rpm a good holley mild stall and some gears.

I was impressed by the Gran National I think the ss camaro is a killer street car. overpriced way overpriced

But Give me a black primered 67 swb fleetside and 1/2 the money your going to spend on that New rice terd and you can admire my rolled up windows ac blowing big block flowmaster singing truck as it leaves you thumbing through your latest car and driver at the greenlight.

We are still out here but we go to the track nowadays because of the tickets and the Nazi emmissions. It isn't like it was in the eighties but its still strong at least in my neck of the woods being Dallas Texas

Ricers aren't car guys they are groupies. You won't ever see a Greasy ricer they pay to have there car put together for them they read magazines and get the latest trendy lightbulb added to there car with there daddys credit card. For the money these terds cost to build I would build a Mopar or a Ford. And yes some are fast but they still suck
bbs1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 11:25 AM   #8
Mike C

I'm not big on bashing of other groups of car enthusiasts. If you want to hammer on somebody, hammer on people trying to crush old cars or ban internal combustion. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they don't occupy the same demographic as us "truck" guys. Bottom line is most people think Hot Rodders, Gear Heads, Drag Racers, and Ricers are all the same. These are the same people that drive a 3 year old sedan and trade it in before it hits 4. They are also the ones that vote. Having said that, I still feel like if it is not an airplane it doesn't need a wing and there should be a law that your tailpipe can't be bigger around than a piston from your engine... The ricer term describes these bolt on accessories not neccessarily an import enthusiast. They aren't going anywhere either if you look at the magazine racks at the supermarket. Bottom line is kids will hop up what is sold, and if you look at the skyrocketing prices of Muscle Cars and even SWB trucks, you can see why a high schooler winds up with a Civic or 240sx. There are some fast imports and they are cool as well. My biggest beef is the tires that spin shouldn't be the tires that steer! But there are few rear drive cars out there still, and some of those "ricers" ARE car guys. Just my opinion
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 02:04 PM   #9
RON WOODGEARD

MIKE,

WELL SAID!!!!!!!!!!!

RON
Old 08-25-2002, 04:11 PM   #10
BadAzz70PU
Long Lost Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bbs1965
Please God tell me I didn't just read about a ford lightning which runs low 9's in the eighth mile being considered fast.

God whatever happened to low 8's 1/8th mile being a decent daily driver. By the way a mild 350 in a swb will do this all day.
a/c ps pb auto daily driver.
thats mid 7's on a 150 shot.
nothing more then a comp 292 performer rpm a good holley mild stall and some gears.

I was impressed by the Gran National I think the ss camaro is a killer street car. overpriced way overpriced

But Give me a black primered 67 swb fleetside and 1/2 the money your going to spend on that New rice terd and you can admire my rolled up windows ac blowing big block flowmaster singing truck as it leaves you thumbing through your latest car and driver at the greenlight.

We are still out here but we go to the track nowadays because of the tickets and the Nazi emmissions. It isn't like it was in the eighties but its still strong at least in my neck of the woods being Dallas Texas

Ricers aren't car guys they are groupies. You won't ever see a Greasy ricer they pay to have there car put together for them they read magazines and get the latest trendy lightbulb added to there car with there daddys credit card. For the money these terds cost to build I would build a Mopar or a Ford. And yes some are fast but they still suck
You caught a nerve here with me on this one. There are kids who's parents pay for everything for them (there has always been) and there are kids who pay for everything themselves. I personally paid for everything I own. I worked my ass of in high school to build my truck and when I got to college I needed a car that got better than 10-15mpg. I bought an eclipse with money I saved from working summers. I fell in love with the car, it got 38mpg on the highway and had every creature comfort you could imagine. Not to mention, the girls, damn, girls love eclipses, I never once had a girl comment on my truck, after two weeks of driving the eclipse I had at least 3 different girls come up to me and my friends and ask whos car that was. That eclipse was pretty slow though so I sold it and bought an All Wheel Drive turbo model. I hate to say it but this car is just bad ass. It still gets about 30 mpg and that will only improve with some mods. I have a friend (who paid for everything himself also, and did all the work himself) who has a 97 Eclipse GSX that just ran an 8.0 at 86mph. The car is 100% street driven and averages about 28mpg. It has cold AC, leather interior, great styling and all the other creature comforts of a modern car. Dont get me wrong, there is a place for these trucks, I still love mine, but dont go calling every kid out there a ricer because they own an import. It is whats available today and with modern technology amazing things are happening in these little engines. There are a lot of these kids who do their own work and pay for their own stuff.

How can you say that they suck? Isnt that all a matter of personal opinion? What constitutes a car sucking? Give some support to back that up... What if I said a car that sucks is one that gets less than 20mpg, only seats 2-3 people, has marginal brakes and poor handling? Dont get me wrong, I love my truck, I am just making a point.

Oh yeah, also, the exhaust tip comment, the turbo eclipses require about a 3" full exhaust, which would put a 3" minimum tip on it, slightly larger just alters the sound a little. The thing that bothers me with exhaust is "dual" exhaust on an inline 4 engine.
Web Site
1995 Eclipse GSX
-15.46 @ 88mph (stock, not for long)
College student at Clemson (SC)
Home in Langhorne Pa
BadAzz70PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 12:08 AM   #11
bbs1965
Open Sundays 10 till 10

It is in my opinion

that gas mileage is a term used by a middle aged mom commuting to work in her toyota camry.

8.0's is pretty slow when you figure the coin dropped into a rice bomb

swb and muscle cars are expensive i know
I just bought a running 66 swb fleetside truck with 350 /350 turbo ps pb performer rpm intake shift kit auto column for $500

I also bought a 1967 chevelle 2 dr that needed a front left fender a drivers door and quarter for $400
I bought fender at pick a part for $40 and a door out of missouri for $115 delivered and a quarter skin will cost $125 and additional $550 to have installed. Car came with headers b&m megashifter body is straight otherwise,

I also bought a 1981 z28 complete car minus drivers door glass for $200

I also bought a 1969 el camino with 350 disc brakes 186 humps $375

I just turned down a 1967 swb stepside gmc body for $300

I just bought a 1966 swb stepside body for $450

I also am taking delivery of a 1970 el camino super sport round gauge dash cowl hood 12 bolt disc brakes complete rolling car for $600.

I just sold a running 454 for $450

I just sold a board member a running very strong I might ad 400 small block with 350 turbo for $500

I guess your right these muscle cars and swb trucks are just way to expensive.

I bought a 1968 chevelle 2 door not registered since 1978 for $500. no rust body

these aren't pipe dreams either ask anyone that has been to my shop they will tell you

at my shop right now is a 1967 swb fleetside I paid $300
disc brakes and 5 lug rear had a 250 3 speed in it when i bought it. yes it ran and drove. In fact another board member just bought bed from me for $150 because i got a super duper clean bed in trade on a $100 big block 454 i had

I also have a 1965 super sport chevelle i'm building for my nephew it came with a 327 humps and a 12 bolt.
I have a very very good 327 i built for him until he can handle a big block. I paid $750 for car it ran when i parked it.

I have a 1967 camaro race car body I bought for $100.

I just sold my friend my 1971 GMC SPrint that I bought for $875.
cold ac ps pb 12 bolt marina blue with saddle interior he drives it everyday

Yea I know these muscle cars and FAst rear wheel drive v8 A bodies and trucks are just so expensive its got to be the reason these Yuppie kids build these I mean have these ricer rockets built for em. Everyone has opinions and different tastes
but facts are facts rice cars are a fad just like mini trucks they are slow and dollar for dollar you can't beat a 454 chevy period
also If you want a girl to give you the eye in your car because of your car then you should consider a Corvette lots of grey haired old guys will tell you how it improved there sex lives. The last King of the hill at Kennedale Texas was between 2 cars a 4.97 and a 4.98 were times run. Granted these are unrealistic for street cars but when you start with a chevelle or Camaro this is what your aiming for where do you have to go with a rice rocket
mid 7's in 1/8 or did you win lottery an get 30 sponsors to make your rice run a 10 in quarter.

No cauca straight fact here it is

1964 chevelle
drum front end
12 bolt posi 3.08 gears
29x9 slicks or same size equivelant mid life drag t/as dot legal new out of box they suck midlife they are great anyway

350 bone stock shortblock thats cast crank cast 4 valve relief pistons double row chain comp 280 cam
stock lifters stock oil pump

291 double humps 1.94 1.50 no porting or polishing
single springs roller rockers 1.5 on intake 1.6 on exhaust

performer rpm air gap intake 850 double pumper
hei then later went to msd
hooker super comp headers with flowmasters of course

cheater nos
3000 stall boss hogg because we poor boys
400 turbo

this car is solid metal with gobs of bondo in fenders and quarters
bench seat with column shift
tagged inspected and was driven to work everyday driven to track every sunday changed to slicks at track
had a million tools in trunk and a zillion spare lugnuts in back seat when to drunk to find the ones you just took off.

car ran 8.20 on motor and 7.20's on 150 shot.
ran pump gas on street had 2 fuel cells in trunk one was a 2 gallon when running pill one was a 5 gallon for carb. regular 20 gallon tank under car got us there

You can get a chevelle body for around $500 to $1000 a 350 i got one for sale right now for $200 a set of humps ready to go less then $400 etc etc these cars are cheap to build and a hell of alot faster then a ricer.

this same car now sports a rectangle port headed 454 with 3.73 gears same carb basic stuff solid lift cam it runs 6.80's on 125 shot
low 7's motor. Why buy rice unless you cannot remember 18436572 or righty tighty lefty loosy or dont own a basic 200 tool kit from sears with a sprinkle of harbour freight tools in the mix??? I know yea its an opinion. But wait we didn't have a wing a muffler half the size of car a couple million lights and tommy hilfiger clothes abercrumbie fich(however its spelled) hat on sideways with a loud ass system pumping out Mobie. Please these guys are not car guys they belong no where in my association and just because the magazines are geared towards em doesn't mean they are the (bomb). Turn on MTV and say to yourself yes by golly this crap coming through my tv speakers is the greatest ever because heck its on tv so it has to be.
Maybe its geographics but in North Texas small block and big block chevys still dominate the drag strips. I will however admit i did see a mid seventies chevy luv looking truck with a Mazda rotory engine that was turning mid 6's that was impressive this wasn't a street car strictly drag stuff. I think he might have traded in his Tommy hilfigs for some Levis and a t shirt so i'm positive the chicks didn't go gaga for him. You know gaga like they do for JA Rule or Jay Z or puff i mean p diddy. Country clubs full of cowgirls with pick up trucks listening to Goerge Straight its a beutiful thing but there again could be them there geographics.
Just my opinion no bashing just the facts mam just the facts.
bbs1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 08:13 PM   #12
CE20934

Location: Help! I'm in an office park with its own network of freeways!
One of my fraternity brothers is a die-hard ricer. Of course we deride his car constantly. It's a Hyundai for cryin' out loud!

However, unlike the fruitcakes I tailgated/raced in CO, he pays his own way towards souping up his car. The only real ricer thing he has on the car is the shift knob that lights up ("'cuz it's cool," he says). He's still a good guy.

I tip my hat to the true ricer gearheads who know a 6' tall wing on a 4' tall car does nothing for performance. However, if they choose to drown out my sb400-powered rumble with the ungodly buzzing of some 4-banger at 6000, I lose any modicum of respect for that cretin. That's when 1967 emissions come in very handy. Love smoking riceburners. So what if they pass me when I shift? I'll catch up by the next stoplight & smoke 'em again.
CE20934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 08:16 PM   #13
CE20934

Location: Help! I'm in an office park with its own network of freeways!
Hmm, we've gotten a bit off topic.

I've tried the invite thing. Not many people in Genesee County have 67-72s. I did get one guy interested in the board. Don't know if he's on yet, but his '68 GMC w/a Caddy 500 is an immaculate truck. Great sound as well.
CE20934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 09:53 PM   #14
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I might be late, but here is my 2cents worth. Like MikC I think that anyone that appreciates cars and cares, nutures, and fixes it to their likes I am all for. I pick the vehicles I do because of my perople tastes... Some of it because when buying used you sometimes go with the best you can for the buck, regardless of brand. I live in Japan for tens years and loved there cars as much as mine. The true odd ball I guess, but my main rides when I was there was a 55 Chevy 2 door post, 74 Mustunag II Mach 1, 76 280z (with homemade nitros off a Navy P3 aircraft) and a twin turbo 78 RX7.

Each had the great points and weak points. I enjoyed them all. I've only had my 70 for a little over a month now. This is the first project vehicle I have had in a while. I love the looks and amwaiting to improve it with my personal likes. Hate the leg room, but we all deal with that. If it was my daily driver, I'm not sure I would be quite as big a fan. Love my 96 GMC for that.

Whatever it is, as long as we all enjoy it, let's go. Several folks I work with are piston heads. We all kind of joke with each other. (C5 vette, 47 Chevy, me, 68 vette, 66 Stang) We all love our cars and rib the heck out of each other...but we'll all bend over backwards to help one another... Then go right back to pickin on plastic toy cars, those F--d things...and what not.

OK I rambled on...Not sure ifany of them look at our site oir not. I've talked to folks about it...but our trucks seem to be a not real common down here on the coast.

My appologies for being long winded.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote