The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2006, 11:24 AM   #1
a squarecan

Z/drop drop question.

Hey guys,

I am getting things ready to Z my frame in the coming weeks (when I have time) but dont know the best approach to take on my front frame horns. I haven't decided if I am going to Z the frame 2.5 or 2" yet but I will figure that out once I get my lower A-arms back with my new ball joints pressed in. Any ways Seams that I am going through a lot of work, time and money to get my truck down and dirty and all seams worthless if I am not laying rockers. Here is the issue through I am not going to be able to Z and BD the truck is a super timely fashion. So I think I am going to just tack weld the front frame horns back on so I can drop them more later (it is a shop sitter at the moment) But what is it going to take to get that rocker on the ground? I have a 64 swb I have heard rumors of shortening the cab mounts, will this be enough? Or will I have to a stock floor BD to get it low enough to touch?

Thanks
Keith
a squarecan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 09:51 AM   #2
pharcydekm

Re: Z/drop drop question.

Sorry i don't know a ton about the 64 body style truck. I'm currently building a 67 SWB that I have z'd and stock floored with new frame rails from the firewall back. Basicall what I did was welded a 2" spacer to the cross memeber cut the frame off and welded 2x4 box to it on the ground. but to answer your question on the front horns you drop them equal to your Z so if you z it 2" drop your horns 2". I will try to get some pics up on the board soon. It is kind of difficult to explain the way that it worked out my new frame sits underneath the old frame as far as height. I have also cut 2" off the rockers. My hopes are to lay bumber front and rear. as it looks right now I think it will all work.
Problems I have run into are Steering, HEI clearance, Stock hood will not fit, and 90% of the stock bed floor will be removed. None of this is a huge problem but still hang ups that would cause it to take longer than expected. I currently have the bed on my rack so it is hard to get pics but I will poost some soon.

Last edited by pharcydekm; 02-15-2006 at 09:51 AM.
pharcydekm is offline   Reply With Quote