The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-26-2002, 01:43 PM   #1
mrein3

On all trucks that the General originally built with a NP205 transfer case 1969? - 1972 ALL the driveshafts are the same length. I should say all long wheel base trucks 3-speed, 4-speed, or auto had the same length front and rear driveshafts. Same for the short wheel bases and the Blazers. The difference in the lengths of the transmissions was made up with the "adapter" between the tranny and transfer case, not the drive shafts.

They all also had the same crossmember that the adapter bolted on to. Again the General adapted the adapter to the crossmember. Instead of having Ford-like different parts for every different configuration.

I changed over from a 3-speed/NP205 to a Th350/NP205 last December. I used the original crossmember and the original driveshafts.

You'll need the tranny/adapter/transfer case, an auto steering column, the linkage from the column to the tranny, a radiator that has a cooling tank, and the cooling lines from the tranny to the radiator. Yes GM had different configurations for the input on the 205. All originally behind a manual transmission transfer cases are interchangable but they are different than the th350 and th400 ones. If you go the Th350 route buy a new drive sleeve and plan on a new adapter. Every used adapter I've ever seen has been cracked. When you get done with the swap you can sell your tranny/adapter/t-case to help recoup the cost of your new stuff.

The speedo cable output is on the transfer case. If you have something other than 3.73 rear end gears there will be a little gear box on the transfer case to make your speedo read right. Keep that from your old transfer case and bolt it on the new one.

I had to buy new exhaust because the beat up old stuff that was there wouldn't fit around the turbo 350. For that I bought the LMC dual exhaust kit in their catalog.

I also had a different starter so that is new.

I used the flywheel off of a 1971 Monte Carlo that originally had a 350/th350.

I had the tranny shop sell me a new torque converter when I had the tranny rebuilt. You may as well have it rebuilt while it is sitting on the ground verses putting it all together only to find out the tranny needs a rebuild.

Since you live in Phoenix you'll probably want to put on an external tranny cooler in addition to the one in your radiator.

After my first full season of pulling my boat around behind the auto instead of the manual I can't believe I didn't make the switch sooner.

If your truck doesn't have a NP205 then never mind what I said.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote