The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-26-2006, 06:23 PM   #1
cleszkie

Thermostatic Clutch Fan Operation

I recently replaced the unclutched fan (steel fan with spacer) with the stock 6 blade steel fan and a new thermostatic clutch (Hayes unit) on my 72 4WD K5 Blazer (350/350/205). I have noticed that my water temperature will get in the 200 to 210 degree range, and the clutch is not engaged (I stop truck, jump out and spin the fan). I thought the problem was with the clutch, so I replaced it and still have the same issue. Should the fan clutch be locking up to give me more RPMs and more air flow at that temperature? Do I have the correct fan clutch? On 4WD models, the fan clutch is quite a distance from the radiator fins, so I was wondering if the 4WD models require a clutch that locks up at a lower air temperature than say one that was for a 2WD model.

I have a new 4-core brass/copper radiator, a good fitting stock shroud, relatively new water pump, good 180 degree thermostat, and a new water temperature sending unit and gage (with temp sending unit between the 1 and 3 cylinders on the block on the drivers side). Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 01:09 PM   #2
cleszkie

Re: Thermostatic Clutch Fan Operation

Can anyone with a 4WD using a thermostatic fan clutch at least check to see if their clutch is locking up (can't spin fan, or fan is hard to spin once truck is at operating temperature)? Thanks.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 05:36 PM   #3
ClassicStyle

Re: Thermostatic Clutch Fan Operation

you wouldnt happen to have a body lift would you? if that was the case, most people dont take the time to move the shroud down.

Have you check to make sure you have a good thermostat? or if you have enough coolant(i know kinda a stupid question, but hey it happens) make sure you have some water in your resevoir, or that you have a resevor.

check everything before you start throwing parts at it.