The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2006, 05:56 PM   #1
Bluegoose972

Goose Down The Drag

Here is a fun one for you guys. Went to a car show last weekend put on by the local Corvette car club. They held it at a local drag strip. Part of the deal was that you could take your car out on the drag strip for $5..for all day. Well, I was pretty anxious since I've really haven't ran Goose very hard yet and have been battling leaks and making lots of adjustments.

At the starting line, up against a 1998 Corvette, Goose looked really out of place. Big old 36" tires and a jacked up old blazer don't make your typical race car. I had the engine dyno'd before I put it in the blazer and it showed 500 hp, 550 ft-lbs torque. But I do have stock manifolds on it since headers didn't fit and with the accessories, I'm sure that 400 hp is a better guess. My concern was more that something was going to go "snack/crackle/pop" when I gave Goose the gas.

At this point, after working on this rig for three years, pouring countless hours and dollars into fixing it up, you have to ask yourself...do you go easy or go hard. My motto...Go hard or go home. I let her rip. To my surprise, the rear 15" wide tires grabbed hold and off we went. I stayed neck and neck with the Corvette through 1000 ft and was totally amazed. But then I found the limiting factors. Blazers aren't known for their aerodynamics! I started slowing down and the Corvette kept speeding up. Needless to say, I was outran, but it was still awesome. I ended up completing eight (8) runs that day, winning only one race (beat a new model F150 stock pickup)....but I didn't care. Goose performed much better than I would have ever expected and the crowd loved seeing this old orange blazer hook up off the line.

My best run of the day was 17.2 seconds at 75 mph at the 1/4 mile. The problem was the last 1/8 mile. When I started comparing against the other racer's times, we would be really close most of the time through the first 1000 ft, but then I would run out of air flow (exhaust) and into an air wall (aerodymanics of a blazer with 6" of lift). The Corvettes would pickup another 20-25 mph in the last 1/8 mile while I would only pickup 10-12 mph. I never had the blazer over 65 before.

Anyone else take their blazer to the track?
Bluegoose972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 06:50 AM   #2
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Re: Goose Down The Drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegoose972
Anyone else take their blazer to the track?
I have considered it since I live less than a mile from the local
1/8 mile track, but even w/ the 450hp I got 3.08's in the 1/8
would hardly be worth the effort, but burnouts would be
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote