The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2002, 11:03 PM   #1
backinblack

HELP!!!! What to do....Rear drop problem

Okay, my truck is a 71 GMC SWB, and was dropped two inches in front with springs, and is a leaf spring truck in rear, with a two inch drop shackle, and one or two springs taken out (can't tell how many they took out) , anyway, I wanted more drop, so I got 2 1/2 inch drop spindles for front, a c notch in rear, with a flipped axle. I went back to stock shackles, so I wouldn't be too low. Well, I got done tonight, and and it is TOO low!! It's really in the weeds! So, I want to know how YOU guys would go about getting it back up a little. Not that there's anything wrong with being REALLY low, but I don't have bags, and wasn't planning on any, and right now the front is higher than the rear even w/ the drop spindles. I need about two inches of height in the rear to level the truck out. No kidding, I think it dropped a total of six inches in the rear.

So, would you guys have the springs re arched and the missing added back in? Or bags? Or what? Any and all comments welcome. Thank you.
65 GTO ragtop
77 Trans Am

Hmmm. Too many pontiacs, not enough chevy trucks yet.
backinblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 12:06 AM   #2
orange72

what i would do if i was you would be to put the springs that were taken out back in. sounds like to me its lower than 6 inches in the rear because if i was six then it should be almost level with 4.5 inches worth the drop in the front. anyways thats my opinion. take care.. later
Old 10-19-2002, 12:48 AM   #3
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

i did a flip on the longhorn, also removed a couple leafs(they were pretty stiff on the longhorn). i opted to knock the spring hangers off & move them down on the frame approx 1 1/4" to bring the rear up a tad. I agree with orange 72, try putting the leafs back in & see where you go from there. You can probably gain about 1 1/4- 1 1/2" by moving the spring hangers. i also used a short pc of 3x3x1/4 angle bolted to the bottom of the frame,& to the inside of the rear spring hangers to keep it from flexing. Also grade 8 7/16 bolts with pinchlock nuts. good luck.....longhorn
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote