The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2002, 10:44 AM   #1
XXL
Seņor Member

prost68trk -- question on wiring

We talked about this briefly once before... but I've slept since then, so all knowledge has transferred to my pillow

Can you give me an idea of where your wires are routed into the cab in your pic below, in relation to the whole cab? And... any additional information you have on your cable routing would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Kenneth
Attached Images

XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 12:40 PM   #2
Smooth68

Kenneth, I'll attempt to put up some drawings and info - after which you can post, pm me for any other info.

The attached pic here shows in the red circle where the main trunk of wires exits the cab. The blue square shows roughly where the fuse panel is located under the dash. The green lines indicate the secondary trunks of wires and their respective routes. (Across the underside of the dash. Under the cab, into the frame and out the back (see post below). Up into the topside of the fender cavity to the front, then into a channel in the bottom of the radiator support (see other post below) So far these are the best routes I've found to keep everything hidden from view.

Have you decided on an ignition system yet?
Attached Images

WTB 64-66 project or frame/cab, SWB or LWB...I have the fever! Whatcha got??

'68 Short Step - Shaved Body, Soon Bagged - SOLD

Driver-2004 GMC Z-71 Ext-cab

Last edited by Smooth68; 10-23-2002 at 01:06 PM.
Smooth68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 12:46 PM   #3
Smooth68

This pic is just basically showing where the wires exit the rear of the frame, only from the drivers side.
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2002, 12:53 PM   #4
Smooth68

And this last one is the same - just showing the location of the channel in the radiator support.
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2002, 01:55 PM   #5
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

ProSt68Trk: I like how you routed the front wires under the radiator. I've got my fuse block mounted in the same location. All my wires exit through the floor in various locations depending on where they are going.
Old 10-23-2002, 04:34 PM   #6
XXL
Seņor Member

Muchas guacamole! That helps a lot. To mount my fuse box, I'm going to just whack a chunk out of an existing cab where the harness pokes through (anybody got a spare roughly 6" x 6" chunk that includes this hole laying around???) and use that to mount the box and underhood harness... just bracket it up a little higher than the stock one and point it a little towards the floor.

For my e-brake, i've decided to put the stock foot pedal back in... but I've got a piece of 1" channel iron welded where the 2 bolts used to punch through the firewall... as a spacer. Then I'll take a 1" slice out of the foot bracket so it will still fit under there. And then rig up something different on the front of the bracket so I don't have to use the bolt that goes through the bottom of the dash.

For the ignition, I'm still struggling with the idea. I've thought about building a metal sleeve that covers the column. I was thinking of one that was the diameter of the dash bezel opening, which would let me get rid of the rubber grommet. I could then build in an ignition switch into it. But... I'm not sure how I'd get around the fact that a lot of the exposed column turns with the shifter. I was also thinking of scavenging the top outer section off a later-model Chevy (the cast aluminum ones) and try to fit that over the column somehow. Heck... I don't know. My brain is tired, and I've got too many projects to do on this thing

Thanks again for the wiring pics. I think I'm going to be doing some wiring preparation this weekend.

Kenneth
Old 10-23-2002, 04:43 PM   #7
Smooth68

Anytime!

Old 10-23-2002, 09:36 PM   #8
XXL
Seņor Member

Well, tonight I got a few minutes free time so I whacked out a bracket for the fuse panel. Battery on the digicam is charging so no pic... so here's a quick and dirty sketch of it. My idea is to put it in the same location as it was stock, but with the L bends in the bracket, it should stick out far enough for the underhood harness to plug into the back.

Kenneth
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2002, 10:36 AM   #9
Smooth68

Looks pretty good - how are you going to attach the bracket to the cab?

Old 10-24-2002, 11:29 AM   #10
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ProSt68Trk
Looks pretty good - how are you going to attach the bracket to the cab?

Old 10-24-2002, 09:43 PM   #11
XXL
Seņor Member

Bracket is now welded in. After tacking it in place, I gave it a little tug to angle it toward the door a little... not much... but just enough so I wouldn't have any trouble getting the underhood harness plugged in and bolted to the fuse block. And so it's on to the next mini-project...

I was thinking of building a little "pouch" just big enough for the ignition over in the corner under the dash and just above the kick panel vent handle. Basically something out of metal and just big enough for the cylinder and the big chrome trim piece on the stock dash. It would be out of the way, that's for sure. One concern I have would be that it breaks up that bottom line of the dash. Another would be that the keyring bangs against the kick panel as I'm going down the road. Waddaya think?

Kenneth
Old 10-25-2002, 09:20 AM   #12
Smooth68

Hmmm....well the fact that is over in the corner sounds alright. but I'm kinda with you on the point that in could take away from the smooth lines - and you know with in a month you'd have a nice shiny spot there where those keys were banging around.

What about putting it under the dash near the front edge, close to the middle drivers side and have it point straight down? That way its not seen when not in use and when it is being used the keys are just hanging there. Possibly have the ign and light together on a panel that will swing up/down either manually or automatically....

Would it be feasable to use your same pod idea but put it up in top left corner of the windshield post?

Old 10-25-2002, 02:18 PM   #13
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
What about putting it under the dash near the front edge, close to the middle drivers side and have it point straight down? That way its not seen when not in use and when it is being used the keys are just hanging there.

Yeah, I thought of that but after a while even the new ignitions can't hold a key. I'm afraid the key would keep falling out on the floor. This is still a possibility though. Just need to think it out some more.

Quote:
Would it be feasable to use your same pod idea but put it up in top left corner of the windshield post?
Hmmm... maybe so. I hadn't really thought of that. I guess in a wreck I might get stuck in the head with a set of keys... but I'm not supposed to be wrecking in the first place. I'll do some measuring on this tonight and see if it might work. Best idea yet!

Kenneth
Old 10-25-2002, 02:59 PM   #14
Smooth68

Quote:
I guess in a wreck I might get stuck in the head with a set of keys...

Kenneth [/B]
Hey just consider it a better way to identify the corpse - Look up the dental records? No need...that Kenneth (or myself ) I can tell from the key sticking out of his head!

Old 10-25-2002, 03:30 PM   #15
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:

Hey just consider it a better way to identify the corpse - Look up the dental records? No need...that Kenneth (or myself ) I can tell from the key sticking out of his head!
Good point...
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2002, 03:40 PM   #16
Smooth68

LMAO - thats funny. Let me know how the switch situation looks.

Now what about the light switch?