The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2002, 09:35 AM   #1
caa332

quadrajunk carb no start

I have a quadrajet on a stock 350 in my 69 blazer, i rebuilt it about a year ago, but since then it has sat and hasnt been driven more than twice a month, problem is in the morning after it has set overnight, the thing will not start.... fuel pump checks ok, but i have no gas in the carb whatsoever.. i have sealed over the pots on the bottom of the carb with epoxy, thinking that maybe they where the cause, but that got me nowhere. choke set and everything else is fine, once it gets fuel to the carb it runs fine all day long......... oh, tried it on my 69 gmc pickup and it did the same thing....can anyone throw an idea at me.....
caa332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 09:49 AM   #2
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

Check all the connections on your fuel lines, maybe you have a slight leak somewher thats allowing the gas to drain back out of the line overnight

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 11:09 AM   #3
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

Q-Jet accelerator pumps are prone to leaking at the seal so when you press the pedal, no gasoline will squirt out. If the carb has been setting then the seal could have dried out. After running the pump will sometimes work temporarily, but not when everything cools off. Just a thought, since you checked the plugs in the bottom.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 02:16 PM   #4
smith

I rebuilt my old quadrajet every spring for aboiut 3 years and then bought a Carter and used my Rochester as a conversation piece and as a doorstop. It usually works as a good as a doorstop, except I still have to cuss at it every now and then for old time's sake.

smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 02:48 PM   #5
Dean

See Jodie I'm not the only one that "loves" quadrajets...lol. I sure love my Eldebrock carbs (Carter clones).

I have several doorstops around my garage too.....lol
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 03:13 PM   #6
fatfords

Did you happen to remove the rubber piece that goes into the paper fuel filter prior to installing it? I did that once thinking I was going to "help fuel flow." All it really did was allow the fuel to drain out of the line when the engine was off. I experienced the same hard starting symptoms you are describing. Once the fuel was pumped back up to the carb, no problems. The best thing is, it can be fixed with a new filter.

LOL,
Kent
fatfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 10:12 PM   #7
caa332

huh, a quadrajet doorstop, i like that ...... if i wasnt spending all my money on redoing my pickup id buy a holley and rid me of all my problems.. im going to replace the accelerator pump and give that a shot, i have had em cause these problems before but im sure thats not the problem since i got to let it crank and crank before i get fuel to the carb...its dry as a bone in there. The fuel filter is where ill start, ive never thought of that one but im thinking i got the cork style filter in there now.... huh, ill give them a try and keep you posted.... thanks for some ideas.
caa332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 04:26 PM   #8
6869704X4

Dont have first hand experience with this but a friend of a friend of a friend...etc once said that he didnt put that thin steel heat shield and thick gasket on and his gas would all evaporate out of the carb because of the heat from the exhaust ports in the manifold. This conversation happend while drinking beer so you know how that goes. His story started out like yours though.
And, if yall are tired of your Q-jets just send my way.