The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-25-2002, 05:05 PM   #1
murph396

broken ball joint !?!?!

has anyone ever had this happen to them? well yesterday, leaving a parking lot, the drivers side lower ball joint broke, or should i say ripped outta the A-arm. when it happened, i thought the wheel fell off. i get out to see what the heck just happened, and the wheel and tire are tucked so nicely, it looked like it was slammed (wish i had a camera with me!). upon further investigation i see that the lower A-arm is resting on the ground, as it is no longer attached to the spindle. luckily i wasn't going fast so no one got hurt including my truck, but i had to get it towed out of the road. i have yet to fix it but i haven't found anything damaged. i have ball joints, spindles and bearings, as i was going to replace them this weekend or next. my concern is what else should i check for damage, while repairing the ball joint?

Murphy's Law: Any tool dropped while repairing a car will roll underneath to the exact center.
murph396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 05:14 PM   #2
68 Stepside
huh?

Wow, that bites man! If you can't see anything obvious wrong with any of the other front end components, I wouldn't worry too much. Just consider yourself lucky, my cousins ball joint broke on his 80 turbo t/a, on the maiden run with the 400 that he put in....head on with another car....he was ok, the car on the other hand, well, it's a pop can now.

Best of luck,

TJ
Things we said today.

RIP El Jay
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 05:35 PM   #3
kpf

Had a 69 c/10. turned a corner to head on to the highway and just as I finished turning WHAM!!!!!! the drivers ball joint broke. Same thing just popped out of the a-arm. Luckily we weren't on the highway but took a few hours to get a towtruck to get us home.
If you are going to fix it you might as well do everything on the front end. You never know, if that broke chances are that something else is bound to go soon.
Better safe then sorry I think
97 crew cab f350 psd
kpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 05:41 PM   #4
COBALT

Where did it break? Was it the tapered stud inside the spindle that broke, or was it the base of the ball joint that broke allowing the main part of the ball joint to stay in the spindle, but the control arm to fall to the ground with nothing in it?

The former I've heard can be caused by worn spindles. The tapered holes become reamed out with the base part of the hole larger than it needs to be, and new ball joints are then allowed to flex and move around inside the hole at the bottom, but not at the top. This causes cyclic loading (the "coat hanger" syndrome, where you can bend a piece of wire back and forth until it breaks). This will be evident if the stud is broke.

The latter may be damage from below -- control arm gets hung up on a concrete curb at one point, or a jack improperly placed, or a cheap ball joint, or just plain component failure.
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote