The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2002, 12:50 PM   #1
Custom 68

mounting electric fans ??

Hey all I am thinking about installing electric fans on my truck. I know they all come with the wire ties of sorts to install directly to the radiator. Are these bad? I thought the vibrations might cause problems maybe rub thru a tube or something. I thought about 2 12s or a single 16 what do you think. I for some reason want to have my stock shroud in place and just mount these behind it.
Thoughts?
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 01:20 PM   #2
Project1970
14.1 @ 96MPH

A stock fan shroud would probably hurt the performance more than help it with electric fans...I believe one of the dealers on the board makes a sweet-looking fan setup that I'm gonna get one of these days if I ever get the money. Since it cools well enough for now, though, bedliner comes first.
Old 10-28-2002, 03:01 PM   #3
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

Project 1970: Here’s the fan setup you are referring to.

I personally wouldn't use the supplied wire ties. I put a new radiator in my truck and there's no way I was going to shove some wire ties through those nice straight fins! I used a single 16" fan. I made two mounting straps (that run vertically) and attach the top and bottom of the radiator. The fan I'm using doesn't have any kind of guard around it, so I installed the stock fan shroud (so I wouldn’t accidentally slice off my fingers!). I haven't been able to drive it on a hot day, but I think it'll keep the engine cool. I don't see how the shroud would hurt the performance of the fan. I’ll try to post some pictures of my fan this evening. As for the shroud/fan setup that is shown above, I was a little skeptical. I think that particular shroud design would hurt the performance of the cooling system. You'd be surprised at how little the electric fans run while the truck is in motion. As the truck is moving, the air is naturally forced through the radiator. But with that shroud, the air is being forced through two 12" holes as opposed to the whole radiator. However, when the truck is not moving, that design seems like it might work okay. It’d pull most the air across the radiator. NOTE: I have not tried that particular fan setup, so I’m not saying it won’t work…… I’m just expressing my opinion!
Old 10-28-2002, 03:12 PM   #4
bigvinnie

I mounted my Flex-a-Lite electric fan in the stock shroud, works very well and retains most of the stock appearance..... would be interested in knowing why Project70 thinks it would hurt performance.

Allows for much more free air flow than the dual fan setup pictured above. Fan pulls air thru a trans cooler, a/c condensor and a 4 row core with no problems. When the truck is moving and the fan is off, air flows unobstructed thru the entire core vs. the two fan holes of the other setup.
Attached Images

72 Stepside Project

Last edited by bigvinnie; 10-28-2002 at 03:32 PM.
bigvinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 03:50 PM   #5
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

I dont think the 2 hole shrouds will be a problem.......guess Ill find out. i am in the process of building the setup(shroud is done,but no fans yet). I will be running 2 12" fans rated @ 1650 cfm ea. I think that the fans may run a little more in traffic as a 2 hole setup, but dont think it will be a problem(have to test the theory yet tho). good luck.....crazy AL
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 09:53 PM   #6
nate68

the only thing i changed when i put my flex a lite setup was i changed the nylon bolts to regular metal ones, i dont trust nylon cheapie crap, they wouldnt have lasted.
Old 10-28-2002, 10:02 PM   #7
Project1970
14.1 @ 96MPH

Quote:
Originally posted by bigvinnie
I mounted my Flex-a-Lite electric fan in the stock shroud, works very well and retains most of the stock appearance..... would be interested in knowing why Project70 thinks it would hurt performance.
I didn't even think of doing it that way; that method would work great. I was thinking of using the two-fan setup with the fans right on the radiator and putting the shroud over them.
Old 10-29-2002, 10:06 AM   #8
Custom 68

thanks guys

I think you are all right. I think i am going to just find one big one and mount it in the center with my original shroud. Now to find a fan at a good price (ie cheap)
Thanks again guys.
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote