The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-29-2002, 12:40 PM   #1
nevada70chev

intake ?'s

i've got at edelbrock 1406 elec. on an edelbrock 2PSP intake. should i put in a spacer for better response, power mileage? or i also have a edelbrock performer manifold, it's more trouble to install, but will it give me better results? looking for power and mileage.....thanks.
Old 10-29-2002, 12:58 PM   #2
neonlarry

Use the performer

The edelbrock SP2P intake is an old design, and while it is not bad, it doesn't flow very well at higher rpms.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 01:00 PM   #3
DeepPurple
Real Deep...

Re: intake ?'s

Quote:
Originally posted by nevada70chev
i've got at edelbrock 1406 elec. on an edelbrock 2PSP intake. should i put in a spacer for better response, power mileage? or i also have a edelbrock performer manifold, it's more trouble to install, but will it give me better results? looking for power and mileage.....thanks.
Answering your questions in the order you asked them.

Do not bother with putting on a spacer unless your engine REALLY runs hot. If it does then you might try a phenolic spacer. (Yes, some people argue they're worthless no matter what, but I've seen power gains if it's a hot engine) but no matter what it won't be a big noticable gain.

As far as the performer manifold, yes! Do not use the SP-2P when you have a performer sitting by. It won't be the horsepower gain you'd see from switching from a stock manifold to a performer, but there will be noticable power gain thanks to the superior design in the performer intake.
(Additionally you'll be able to ditch that stupid adapter plate.)

As far as mileage I wouldn't really know. I sorta gave up on the concept a while back when dealing with these trucks. But I wouldn't think the mileage would be any worse.

1976 GMC K5 Jimmy (Big Blue)
400/TH350
Coming soon to a drive-in near you...

We have done So Much with So Little for So Long..
We are now qualified to do Anything with Nothing.
DeepPurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 04:18 PM   #4
Frank_Zeller

I have run both the performer and the SP2P on a 305 stock cam with headers. Both with 2 inch 4 hole carb spacer.

In terms of WOT the performer had more power from 3,000 rpm up. But the down side was the stock cam only makes power to about 4,200

Switched to the SP2P.....no carb adjustment...Idle went up 200rpm. Very torque engine now. Better throttle response and about 1 + mpg better.

One of the side benefits of the SP2P is that the exhaust does not smell rich and a reduction in carbon build up on the tail pipes.

The SP2P is a high velocity intake that keeps the fuel atomized resulting in a better burn.

going from the stock intake to the performer resulted in a loss of at least 1 mpg.

Austin-Texas
Frank_Zeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 08:15 PM   #5
bigjimzlll

buy the intake gasket set and spend an hour swapping them out..buy 2 gasket sets if you want..that way yu can swap back if you want to.....every engine is different as far as carb spacers go...they fool your engine into thinking you have a bigger carb...most people just throw one on and expect miracles, what ou have to do is adjust the carb(jets, springs, rods) to match the new spacer..a four hole spacer will give more low end torque, while a n open spacer will give more top end..on some engines you can feel the change...and like on mine it didnt help..its a crap shoot...but its worth the 20.00 to find out. if it was my choice i would get the carb kit and fine tune the set up you have now

click the clicky to join the site....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

67 lwb..first hotrod in 25 years..540 best ET is 9.45 @ 141.44
Anderson,CA
bigjimzlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 09:48 PM   #6
Desert Rat

I have a couple SP2P's a new one in the box for a big block,its the original design of the Performer i believe.the SP is small port,the ports are very small underside,making excellent torque!!! but falls on is face in the 4000 area range,but for mileage and low end grunt id use the SP2P,i wouldnt add a spacer,i never have liked them.some people say they add this and that,but i seem to think they may add more vacuum leak possibilities.All the SP2Ps Ive ever had are of spreadbore design so no adapter needed if your running stock carb,yes if your using a Edelbrock,Carter,or SHmolley
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote