The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2006, 09:07 PM   #1
RapidRide2

new coil spring settling time ?

Hello i just installed a set of new belltech 1'' lowering coil springs in attempt to start chasing down my nasty 1-1.5'' lean on the pass. side ,,,even with a low fuel tank. Anyway I was hoping that these would put me where my original worn 76' springs were at,,, however they actually sit about 1/2''-3/4'' higher. I have only driven the truck for about 10 miles. My question is,,,,,, how long does it take for new coil springs to settle?????? And does anyone think i will get a 1/2'' drop in doing so??????
RapidRide2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:37 PM   #2
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: new coil spring settling time ?

They are made with a higher spring rate, so that the lowering would not have you bottoming out, so my guess would be, not much settling in them. I put a set on my truck four years ago and they are still at the same height that they were when I installed them.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:50 AM   #3
RapidRide2

Thanks,,, they seem to be sitting fine,,,now if i can just track down this pass. side lean now. I replaced the front springs thinking the pass side spring was weak,,,i have the same lean,, i recently put dearched leafs on the rear,,,,same lean.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:56 AM   #4
bigblock73
yeller

How do your cab mounts look? Has your truck ever been in an accident? You do have matching tires right (size wise)...and the air pressure has been checked in all of them?

Last edited by bigblock73; 11-17-2006 at 09:57 AM.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:10 PM   #5
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

One of the most common causes is a small "TWEAK" in the frame. I would ask the same question---Has the truck been in an accident? Is the lean predominant in the front or the rear of the truck? Maybe you could put a couple of spacer washers on the side that is low (betweent the cab or bed and the frame. My 84 has a two steel washers at the rear of the bed on the right corner.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:12 PM   #6
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

It will take about as long as the original springs took to settle that much, about 7-10 years or regular use.

If it is about 1" this is normal for any car that has been driven. Check any vehicle. If you are concerned (all these trucks do this, heck all vehicles made do this) I would start at the body to frame measurements. If they are the same, I would move to tire to frame position and so on...
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 07:39 PM   #7
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I may have missed it but have you checked to make sure your springs are correctly seated in the pockets? It sounds as if you not may have them in the pocket correctly. Just a thought...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:01 PM   #8
RapidRide2

Well,, the springs are seated correctly in the pockets. I am running the same size/ pressure in the tires on all corners. the passenger sides,, both front and rear are consistently sitting 1 1/2'' lower than the driver sides. The truck believe it or not has 40k+ org. miles. All the sheetmetal seems to be original based on the paint,, and fit. I have not checked the cab bushings. However it's the whole passenger side,,,cab & bed. I did jack up the pass side rear corner to level out with the driver side rear fenderwell and this seemed to also level out both side to side front measurements also within a 3/8'' of an inch which i can def. live with. I had to run a small amount of block to raise the truck up a tad after de arching the springs. I was wondering if i should maybe add an extra 1'' or so on the lower pass side rear,,,, especially since that one corner seems to even out the whole truck???? Sorry for the book. p.s the truck sat the same way even before de arching the rear leafs.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:15 PM   #9
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidRide2;
..... I was wondering if i should maybe add an extra 1'' or so on the lower pass side rear ....
That was my next suggestion. Unless you are determined to find out why it leans, just focus on what it takes to fix it.

On my 06 Silverado CC I had a similiar problem. The drivers side sow over an 1" lower in the rear. I put a 2" lowering shackle on it and that side was almost hitting the bumpstop. To remedy the problem I raised the shackle on that side up a hole and now it sets level.

I suggest you consider the the block....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 08:05 PM   #10
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Cut one old spring off to where there is about six inches sticking out on each side of the axle and add it to the spring pack. That 5/8 of an inch will make about 3/4 to 1 inch difference at the rear of the truck. Then see if you are level.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:35 PM   #11
RapidRide2

well i took an inch off the lowering block on the driver side. This seemed to level the truck out at all 4 corners now. I also added an extra leaf to my spring pack as i was a victim of a super bouncy ride since i removed 2 springs from my h.d pack. I needed a kidney belt to drive the truck with 5 leafs,, even with new shocks. I am getting a better ride with the rear suspension not giving with 7 leafs now than i was with only 5 springs?? At least i am level now at all 4 corners (within 3/8" difference) Can't complain . Thanks to all the replies,,,Matt

Last edited by RapidRide2; 11-18-2006 at 10:37 PM.