The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-29-2002, 11:10 PM   #1
DHregdovic

? about towbars

I'm getting ready to towbar my 67 LWB with 4 speed from WA to PA. Would anybody suggest removing the driveline or will the tranny lubricate itself enough during the trip.
DHregdovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 12:38 AM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

With an automatic, you should always disconnect it...as for a stick, I couldn't say.
I'd do it just to be sure. When i tow bared my GMC from Central Tx to Ohio...and when I also towbared the Longhron from eastern PE to Ohio...I just unbolted it frm the diff and strapped it to the crossmember. That way you don't lose any oil from the tranny.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 01:05 AM   #3
HvyChevy454
Slowly getting CRSS...

be careful with it though, my friend was fixing to set out towing his 72 SWB on a towbar w/ his 01 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, his drive way has about a 10 degree slope and as he was pulling out and turning left he touched the brake to ease down and the 72 pushed the back end of his truck around ripped the tire off the bead and jack knifed and smashed his rear step bumper on the 01, didnt even scratch the 72.
The Heavy Chevy Website
------------------
  • 72 Cheyenne 10 LWB GM 12-bolt 3.08 w/ Auburn Posi
    91 454 Edel Performer RPM Intake 750 cfm carb Comp Cam 268/.495 Hedman Headers Dual 3'' Exhaust
  • 71 Cheyenne 20 4x4 Fact. A/C PS PB Tilt Currently in the works...
Speak Softly and Carry A Big Block...
There is No replacement for Displacement...
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti

HvyChevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 01:22 AM   #4
Longhorn Man

NORMALLY if the tow rig is heavier than the one being towed, there is no problem if the driver don't get out of hand.
I did a one ton Longhorn towed by an 87 K5 Blazer for 430 miles. Not a single problem. Kinda scarry at times...but no real problems.
When I had the SWB GMC behind the moving van, i honestly couldn't tell it was there.
Old 10-30-2002, 09:18 AM   #5
Huck

Definitely disconnect the drive shaft or the tranny will overheat. Keep your turns wide and slow and allow for long break space--don't run too close to the dude infront of you as braking will not be normal. Some states require brake and turn signals on the towed vehicle so allow for that. Other then that, you should be OK.
BY THE WAY, ANYONE HERE FROM THE MEMBER WHO WAS TOWING A TRUCK ON A FLATBED BEHIND A JEEP WRANGLER???
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 10:30 AM   #6
DHregdovic

Thanx guys.... It will be towed behind a moving van so I don't really expect any problems. BTW: I got a tow bar from JC Whitney that is rated at 5,000 lbs for $102.00. It is made by Hidden Hitch too.

I've read all the previous posts about the Walmar tow bar rated at 3,000 for the same price. This is just another option but you do have to wait for the mail order.
Old 10-30-2002, 10:43 AM   #7
DHregdovic

Here's some other info that I found:

1967 OEM Chevy Truck Chassis Manual:

If a vehicle with an auto trans becomes disabled and requires towing speed must not exceed 30mph. Driveshaft must be disabled if speed to go over 30 mph or a distance over 50 miles.

Both man and auto trans should be towed in neutral only with brakes released.

Chilton 70-87 chevy/gmc p/u truck repair manual:

Basically the same as above except they noted that the only safe way to tow a 4-wheel drive is with a tow bar - they made no mention of why.
Old 10-30-2002, 11:10 AM   #8
DHregdovic

Even more info...
I called Hidden Hitch to ask them the same question. They referred me to Roadmaster (they actually make the tow bar for them). They in turn referred me to Remco which they are supposed towing experts. BTW their number is 800-228-2481 if anyone has any other towing questions.

Anyway, their answer is that I am ok towing with the driveline in place on a 4 speed manual in an older chevrolet application. He said the manuals that do need disconnected are the 5 speeds on the newer trucks. He made no note of 3 speed manuals - I guess I should have asked...
Old 10-30-2002, 12:06 PM   #9
yellowgmc
Getting cabin fever?!?!?!

make sure that driveshaft is strapped on real well. when i traded my dakota for my gmc i towed the dakota to the guys house. the driveshaft was already disconected so the guy strapped it up under the truck. 10 blocks away the drive shaft fell off! luck we weren't on the highway. that would have been a real mess. but the truck wasn't mine any more so oh well.

1972 GMC 1500
1994 F-150 XL 4x4

Tact is for people not whitty enough to be sarcastic
yellowgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 12:42 AM   #10
Longhorn Man

As for tail lights, I made a harnes that woked pretty dang slick when we brought the longhorn here.
I took a trailer harness plug, and ran it under the hood of the towed vehicle, and using wall mart crimp on connections, I installed the spaid terminals. (like speaker connections) I then unplugged the tail light harness from the fire wall, and plugged them in on the blades in the truck's harness plug. Took a few min figuring out what was what, but it worked slick, and was made out of crap just laying around.
Even if the law does not require lights...it's just smart.
Also, I advise on removing the front bumper and bolting to the frame...I've tweaked every bumper I have bolted to...even though I was effectively bolting to the frame.
Also, after 5 miles, check the mounting for tightness...and again after 10 miles. Then check at every fuel stop.
Old 10-31-2002, 03:34 AM   #11
DHregdovic

That's an excellent idea for lighting Longhorn!!! I would have never thought of it. I plan to finish loading tomorrow (Thursday) and head out Friday am. Finally getting back home from out here...
Old 10-31-2002, 10:44 AM   #12
Bernie

It was me who towed the K20 frame behind a jeep wrangler on a towing dolly. It went fine. The dolly moved about a bit, people kept away from me. Held my breath when the interstate became one lane over a bridge. I thought seriously about using a tow bar, but when Andy said to step on the gas when it starts to jack knife, I made my decision.
Old 10-31-2002, 05:48 PM   #13
OLDCHEV4X4

Andy. Your wiring set up is slick. In fact i made one myself after i saw yours at my house. But instead of pluging it into to a flat 4 at the tow truck, I cut the plugs off of a old wiring harness and turned them 180 deg. and tied the "slick Andy wiring " into that. So i can move the towing wires from truck to truck no matter if it has trailer wiring or not.
Randy
72 custom/10 8' bed
70 K/5 Blazer
67 C-30 GMC Flat bed
86 GMC K2500 Plow Truck
85 GMC K3500
84 M1008
85 M1008
77 G30 Motor Home
72 Sears 12hp Tractor
Glenmoore, Pennsylvania
OLDCHEV4X4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 11:47 AM   #14
Longhorn Man

Quote:
Originally posted by OLDCHEV4X4
"slick Andy wiring "
Hmmmmm, that is usually ment in a bad way...
I have made my own harness since then too.