The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2006, 08:42 PM   #1
magnethead
7000 #'s of american IRON

hung choke?

kep in mind it was 18 degrees when this video was taken, ignore the wheezing i'm trying to figure out why only the camera picks that up, i think what you can hear speaks for itself..count the throttle pumps....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50EGpiiTlRk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqLhr3bw3Tg

Last edited by magnethead; 12-09-2006 at 08:59 PM.
magnethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 11:08 PM   #2
grinch4om
dang its hot

Re: hung choke?

check your vacuum chock pull off
grinch4om is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 11:08 PM   #3
grinch4om
dang its hot

choke
Old 12-09-2006, 11:28 PM   #4
82c10
needin' money

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnethead View Post
kep in mind it was 18 degrees when this video was taken, ignore the wheezing i'm trying to figure out why only the camera picks that up, i think what you can hear speaks for itself..count the throttle pumps....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50EGpiiTlRk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqLhr3bw3Tg
8?
Old 12-09-2006, 11:47 PM   #5
magnethead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82c10 View Post
8?
very pathetically, yes it took about 8 or 9 pumps to get enough fuel in it to start.

would a failed vacuum pull-off also explain why my truck sounds entirelly too much like a 6.2 deisel when i turn the key off after a short drive?
Old 12-10-2006, 01:11 AM   #6
grinch4om
dang its hot

no, that sounds like timing, as far as halfing to pump mit alot, that sounds like the choke just isnt set correctly, is it an electric choke? if so, I'd say I'd check the element, may be bad, or out of adjustment
Old 12-10-2006, 01:12 AM   #7
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

First of all, what kind of motor and carb are you running. Second at 18 degrees the motor will sound a little rougher than a warmer day. Third--the choke is probably set and the pull off is not working well at 18 degrees, OR the electric shoke (if you have it) is not getting power to heat it up. On a cold day you want the choke to hold a little longer, but you may have it set to rich and it is not coming clear off of the choke on a really cold day. Not to mention, the radiaotor fan is blowing "Cold" air onto the choke and complicating the process. As for 8 or 9 pumps to get the fuel in, I don't believe that you were cranking the motor as you were pumping the carb, so the only thing that you accomplished there, was to pump cold fuel out of the carb bowl and set the choke for the cranking. I am betting that you could do the same with the pumpping down to 3 times and then crank the motor. If you pump to much you could flood the cylinders and then make it harder to start, yet.

Last edited by piecesparts; 12-10-2006 at 01:15 AM.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 01:29 AM   #8
magnethead

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
First of all, what kind of motor and carb are you running.
quadrajet on a 454

Quote:
Second at 18 degrees the motor will sound a little rougher than a warmer day.
Quote:
Third--the choke is probably set and the pull off is not working well at 18 degrees, OR the electric shoke (if you have it) is not getting power to heat it up.
it's a well choke

Quote:
On a cold day you want the choke to hold a little longer, but you may have it set to rich and it is not coming clear off of the choke on a really cold day. Not to mention, the radiaotor fan is blowing "Cold" air onto the choke and complicating the process.
Quote:
As for 8 or 9 pumps to get the fuel in, I don't believe that you were cranking the motor as you were pumping the carb, so the only thing that you accomplished there, was to pump cold fuel out of the carb bowl and set the choke for the cranking. I am betting that you could do the same with the pumpping down to 3 times and then crank the motor. If you pump to much you could flood the cylinders and then make it harder to start, yet.
It doesn't start at all on anything less than 5 when it's below freezing. Not helped along by the low compression and 8 volt starting system (when you can count the RPM of the engine just by looking at the water pump, you's got a heck of a freezing battery).
Old 12-10-2006, 01:32 AM   #9
magnethead

I'm pretty sure the choke isn't opening all the way on shorter trips, because i turn the key off and it's still pulling fuel- one day it dieseled with the key off for a solid 15 or 20 seconds before i finally clicked the key back on (with a gunshot backfire) and kicked the choke back open with the throttle.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:45 AM   #10
grinch4om
dang its hot

pull your air cleaner on a cold morning, manually push the throttle to set the choke. the choke plate should close fully. 2-3 pumps should suffice on a divorced choke style q-jet. if the choke plate is fully closed,fire it up, if not, adjust so it is fully closed. you can buy the divorced choke thermostat that bolts to the manifold. ounce it fires up the pull off should pull the flap open somewhat so it will not sputter and die. you can also check the pull off without the engine running with a hand pump. make sure the vacuum line has not colapsed as the deteriate with age.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:47 AM   #11
grinch4om
dang its hot

also your fast idle being set will cause dieseling, I'd bet you need to replace the divorced choke thermostat and possibly the exhaust crossover in the intake may be plugged not allowing the choke thermostat to heat up in a timely manner
Old 12-10-2006, 09:55 AM   #12
magnethead

we already replaced the stat last summer, even though the old one tested good, we replaced it anyways.

i'll check the vacuum pull-off, the choke overall shuts off once i get the motor warmed up. How much PSI should be in the vacuum line, enough to feel if it's collasped or not but covering it with my finger with motor running?
Old 12-10-2006, 02:41 PM   #13
grinch4om
dang its hot

you should have manifold vacuum , what ever that is on your engine, at the pull off
Old 12-10-2006, 08:26 PM   #14
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

School of thought, here: with a vacuum---There is no PSI---vacuum is most commonly read in inches mercury. You should have manifold equivelant vacuum readings on your choke pull off, as stated above.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote