The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2006, 02:01 PM   #1
Brad_Olson

Need buying advice: '79 K25

This morning I went and looked at a '79 GMC K25. Here are the particulars:

$800/offer asking price.

Rebuilt 350 w/approx. 11,000 miles. Previous owner had intended to build a mudder so while the cam is unknown, the high-rise Edelbrock intake (at least a Performer RPM but I suspect a Torker) and Holley double-pumper point toward an engine designed for higher-RPM power. The test drive seems to back this theory up as it seems a little soggy at lower RPM but comes on strong as it winds up. There's also some engine noise from the rear of the passenger side but the seller thinks it's related to an exhaust leak; he suspects a bad donut between the manifold and the headpipe.

4-speed stick and 3.73 gears. Clutch has very little travel before reaching the floor but it seems to work fine; I didn't have any trouble. Mechanical clutch, not hydraulic like my '86 has.

The body's really not all that bad by WI standards. ;^) Cab mounts are pretty weak, floor needs patching, bed is weak back by the missing tailgate, but overall it would certainly be serviceable as a hauler. Plus my brother welds so he could beef up the cab mounts.

The windshield's cracked so I'd have to replace it eventually.

Dual tanks and the electric switch does work.

And last but not least, the brake lines don't leak. ;^) The truck was originally Ziebarted so there's a lot of black goop underneath but the lines do show a little bit of external corrosion in spots. At least the fluid's staying inside them for now. ;^)

So whaddya think? Worth $800?

Brad
Brad_Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 03:08 PM   #2
hiway
Mad Scientist

Re: Need buying advice: '79 K25

Tires, front end, battery, and such ok? If so, I'd say yes. Holley DP's go for $150 or more used, HEI's for $45 and intakes $50 or more. And that's just those 3 items. You gotta figure if it will part out for $800 then it's got to be worth that running and driving.

86 1/2ton on tons! sbc/465/208/D60/14/35's
81 Postal....with 468 bbc
97 Merc Marq comuter
07 Suburban
02 Danger Ranger
hiway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 04:16 PM   #3
Brad_Olson

Re: Need buying advice: '79 K25

Tires are decent and have some life left. Battery looks pretty new and the front end didn't feel loose enough to cause concern. I'd probably leave it as-is for the winter and then replace the Holley and the intake (and sell them) with a Performer or factory manifold and Q-Jet next spring.

Brad
Brad_Olson is offline   Reply With Quote