The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2007, 04:46 PM   #1
adpostel

Question Questions on reliability of bag setups

OK Guys, now I have a couple of questions...

1) When you are talking about an airbag suspension, are ya'll using like a front, back, side, side adjustable kit, or are yall referring to bags instead of shocks that can be adjusted.

2) For the guys who have been running on bags for a while, how is the reliability of that type of setup?

I want to lower my 68 to I guess a 4/6 drop and can probably do it with a static drop, but what would be the pros and cons with a static versus bag drop. I would hate to have to roll into work with a problem and have my ass end up in the air and the oil pan scrapping the ground or vice versa. What are some of ya'lls opinions on reliable bag setups, and comparable statice drops?
Old 02-03-2007, 04:58 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Questions on reliability of bag setups

Air bags are as reliable as the install. If it's done half-a**, expect problems. Engineered & installed correctly, they work great.

The great thing about them is the adjustability. Yes you can easily net a static 4/6 drop. But, if you really load up the bed w/that 6" drop, sooner or later it will hit. W/air-ride, you simply bump up the air pressure to bring the ride height back up to what is needed.

You can also combine the two.... static drop up front & a basic manual fill bag system out back.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:42 PM   #3
SlammedDime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Air bags are as reliable as the install. If it's done half-a**, expect problems. Engineered & installed correctly, they work great.

The great thing about them is the adjustability. Yes you can easily net a static 4/6 drop. But, if you really load up the bed w/that 6" drop, sooner or later it will hit. W/air-ride, you simply bump up the air pressure to bring the ride height back up to what is needed.

You can also combine the two.... static drop up front & a basic manual fill bag system out back.
Couldn't have said it better.
SlammedDime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:58 AM   #4
talonted1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedDime View Post
Couldn't have said it better.
I was thinking the same thing. We have not had a truck come back for problems since we solved that bag rubbing problem we had with S-10s and started using DOT fittings.
73 Plymouth Valiant
talonted1990 is offline   Reply With Quote