The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2007, 09:20 AM   #1
gator2511

Question Leaf Spring Rust

I am going to be pulling the leaf springs off my 72 so I can replace the spring eye bushings. The springs are showing a powdery rust in between the leafs. The outside of the springs are fine but what do you do about the rust? Can I put a teflon film or something similar in between the leafs to prevent this? I thought they put some sort of wear pads between the leafs.

Last edited by gator2511; 02-03-2007 at 09:21 AM.
gator2511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:39 AM   #2
Ozona
Account Suspended

Re: Leaf Spring Rust

I just pulled the leafs in my '72 to replace the spring eye bushings and put cal-tracs in prior to bolting in my dana 60. I found that lots of cussing at the rusted bolts makes a nice difference...well...it made me feel better. FWIW, if you wind up having to cut something - you can still get the spring shackles from GM or Early Classic has them. Mine are like yours, and have no wear pads or anything in them. I'll sandblast & spray 'em with a black rattle can.
Ozona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 05:47 PM   #3
gator2511

Thanks for the cussing tip! I'm sure I'll use it.
gator2511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:33 AM   #4
Ozona
Account Suspended

I started a separate thread about the bearing shells, two methods to get them out essentially - Torch or sawzall. I went the sawzall route since I have one already....worked like a charm. Just have to be careful not to cut into the spring, which since the spring steel is so dang hard isn't difficult.

I have a 3 ton arbor, I used that to press in the new bushings...well that and a 3 foot cheater bar... Goofy leaf springs!!! All good now though.

I cleaned mine up, used a high speed paint/rust removing pads to clean off what paint was left and the surface rust...sprayed 'em with rust stop primer and black rust stop paint...came out nice. Can't tell they're not new springs.
Ozona is offline   Reply With Quote