The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2007, 01:54 AM   #1
russellmarling

My project and my story

I have been on this board for awhile, but I don't post very often. I took some pics of my truck today, and I thought I would share the story that goes along with the truck.
My grandfather bought this truck from the original owner in 1979. He used it as a work truck until 1991 when he retired it to the garage and pulled the original 6cyl/3-on-the-tree in preparation for the eventual restoration. I vaguely remember going for a few rides with grandpa in this truck when I was about 5 years old, and that was all it took to get me hooked. Throughout my childhood, I played in this truck that sat dormant in the garage- pretending I was driving it. Grandpa noticed my fascination with this truck and promised that I would inherit it someday. Fast forward to late 2003. Grandpa had been sidetracked by many other projects over the years and the truck had been left untouched. He and I had restored an 83 Camaro together as my first car and we worked on his 70 Monte Carlo SS454. Having taken good care of the Camaro, grandpa decided I was ready for the truck. We began a frame off resto- I did the frame and suspension, and grandpa built the 454 and Muncie M20 4 speed. We put them together and painted the inside of the cab and the firewall. In November 2004 grandpa passed away. I was devastated. I eventually moved the truck into my friend's garage and resumed work on it. Now it is almost driveable. The one and only thing I need to drive it is a big block clutch linkage. I have been unable to locate one, so my friend and I are trying to fabricate one, but it is slow-going. To this day I have never driven the truck. Sorry to be so long winded, but I needed to tell the story to somebody. Enjoy the pics. This is my favorite website. Thanks.

'82 Yamaha Seca XJ650R Turbo!
'04 Yamaha FZ6
russellmarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:58 AM   #2
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

Re: My project and my story

great truck and great story. Hope to see it completely finished some day soon
IvelDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:59 AM   #3
Rascal_one2001

Looks good I bet your grandpa would be proud of it. keep up the good work
Old 02-07-2007, 02:02 AM   #4
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

Keep it up and you will have it on the road before you know it.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:28 AM   #5
GREASEMONKEY72

nice truck and very nice story, its always nice to hear the good and meaningfull storys behind some of these trucks and how much some of these trucks really mean to someone and i wish you the best of luck getting the truck finished and i bet that your grandpa is already proud of you and your truck and what youve done to it and im sure that when you do get it on the road hell be right there next to you on the seat riding along just like you used to, keep up the good work and goodluck

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:53 AM   #6
regal8r

my fascination with these trucks kinda started out as yours. my grandma and grandpa used to have one, not sure on the year, but im pretty sure it was a 67 LWB, goldenrod paint. i remember sittin in the bed takin stuff apart ever since i was still in diapers. ever since then i wanted to get a 67-72 and fix it up as kind of a tribute to them (my grandma mostly)
regal8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:39 AM   #7
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Great looking truck. Thanks for sharing your story. Have you considered going with a hydraulic clutch?
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:31 AM   #8
toomanytoyz
Luv the Crewcabs

Check out this Guy on ebay, Seems to have a lot of old hard to find Parts....

Thanks, Rick

http://stores.ebay.com/B-and-M-Engine-Supply
toomanytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:05 PM   #9
special-K
Special Order

Welcome,glad you spoke up.You have a nice truck coming together.You should be able to find the linkage from a standard shift big block truck somewhere.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:17 PM   #10
bryanw1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellmarling View Post
I have been on this board for awhile, but I don't post very often. I took some pics of my truck today, and I thought I would share the story that goes along with the truck.
My grandfather bought this truck from the original owner in 1979. He used it as a work truck until 1991 when he retired it to the garage and pulled the original 6cyl/3-on-the-tree in preparation for the eventual restoration. I vaguely remember going for a few rides with grandpa in this truck when I was about 5 years old, and that was all it took to get me hooked. Throughout my childhood, I played in this truck that sat dormant in the garage- pretending I was driving it. Grandpa noticed my fascination with this truck and promised that I would inherit it someday. Fast forward to late 2003. Grandpa had been sidetracked by many other projects over the years and the truck had been left untouched. He and I had restored an 83 Camaro together as my first car and we worked on his 70 Monte Carlo SS454. Having taken good care of the Camaro, grandpa decided I was ready for the truck. We began a frame off resto- I did the frame and suspension, and grandpa built the 454 and Muncie M20 4 speed. We put them together and painted the inside of the cab and the firewall. In November 2004 grandpa passed away. I was devastated. I eventually moved the truck into my friend's garage and resumed work on it. Now it is almost driveable. The one and only thing I need to drive it is a big block clutch linkage. I have been unable to locate one, so my friend and I are trying to fabricate one, but it is slow-going. To this day I have never driven the truck. Sorry to be so long winded, but I needed to tell the story to somebody. Enjoy the pics. This is my favorite website. Thanks.

Sounds like you had one hell of a cool Grandpa. Sorry you lost him. Mine was way cool also. Great story and great truck!!
bryanw1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:48 PM   #11
FarmTruk
In Memoriam...

A big HOWDY from Wallburg, NC.

An engine swap from an I-6 to a Rat 454...hmmmm...your grandpa sounds likes he was a good fella there, and it seems to have rubbed of on you. He'd be proud to know you're finishing what he started. Best o' luck to ya'.
FarmTruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:54 PM   #12
RedZ71

well, thats one of the main tasks of a grandpa: to provide a limitless amount of inspriation to the grandson, in a worldly short period of time.

my granddad did for me, and my dad is doing now for my 3year old.

i really enjoyed your story... reminds me of my granddad, and i can see my dad and my son right now developing that smae bond. someday, god willing, ill do my best to provide the same thing to my sons children.

finish that truck!!! the memory of your granddad deserves it!
www.z71silverado.com

Last edited by RedZ71; 02-07-2007 at 01:56 PM.
RedZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:03 PM   #13
see ten
WTB this ad

Keep on truckin!!!!!!!!!
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:50 PM   #14
low'n slow
Too Dumb To Know Better

Great story and a good looking truck.
low'n slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:32 PM   #15
byrd
Union Electrician

That is an awesome story, I wish you the best with the truck and make ol' grandpa proud
Zip:40272
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
We cannot choose the way we die, but we can choose the way we live
Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Quote:
I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote