The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2007, 08:05 PM   #1
pcmcobra

cutting the coil springs

Here's my dilemma. I put drop spindles and lowering springs up front. Just not enough drop. My buddy tells me, just cut some of the coil, and I plan on it.
If I am looking from underneath the truck, looking up into the spring perch, where the top of the coil sits, it is "D" shaped so the wrap of the end of the coil will fit and not spin...and at the bottom, there is the notch the spring fits into...
hope you are following me so far. Anyway, I need about an inch more drop up front, I have not taken the front back apart yet, cause I want to be sure about this.
Guess I am going to need to cut an entire coil out in order for my spring to fit correctly, cause cutting 1/2 will not align correctly[?], if there is another way, shed some light. I'm down for anything, just don't want my spring popping out on me.
btw, the springs I have now are the belltech 1" drop springs.

thx all.

Miami...Flee it like a native
pcmcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:57 PM   #2
dave2953
Dave's not here, man

Re: cutting the coil springs

I cut 1 1/2 rounds off my factory springs. I did this about almost 3 years ago and haven't had any problems. When I go over silent policemen or a hit a big dip in the road I can hear the spring bouncing around when the suspension becomes unloaded. I've never heard of cutting drop springs, but don't see why you couldn't. I think you'll get more than an inch of drop if you cut a whole coil. Hope this helps.
dave2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:07 AM   #3
SCOTI

The notch in the lower a-arm 'cup' is there to keep the spring from 'walking'. If you cut 1/2 of a coil, you just need to put a bolt in that would keep the spring from rotating (walking).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:18 AM   #4
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

I cut a half coil off my Belltech 1" drop springs. Gave me about 1" more. 'Massaged' the upper mount to fit them correctly. It doesn't take much hammering. I have no problems with unloading- my truck is on a lift regularly. This was on the blue truck in my profile pic. Belltech spindles/springs. Look at it to see if you think that's the height you want to be at. If I did it again, I'd take a full coil off...

-Chris

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy

Last edited by gringoloco; 02-08-2007 at 12:20 AM.
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote