The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2007, 09:12 AM   #1
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

exhaust systems

I think I will have to redo my whole system in the near future. I was planning on doing this later but the local PD had a different idea. right now I have headmanns, 2 1/2" pipes and 12" packs at the rear. I have grown up though and want to be quiet now. I have the solid manifolds that came with my engine (79 G20 350). I was thinking of having them make a Y pipe with 2" and 2 1/2 back feeding into a heavy gauge welded turbo muffler (Flo-Pro) and run out behind the wheel under the bed side. maybe even out the passenger side away from where i would hear anything.
I was thinking this would be enough flow for my mild 350 with 3.08 gears and the soon-to-come 700R4.

I know places like LMC sell complete kits but they dont work with my manifolds or engine position. that means custom is the only choice.

has anyone else ran single exhaust? what do you think of it?
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 09:55 AM   #2
Ozona
Account Suspended

Re: exhaust systems

My .02: Just toss the 12" glasspacks and put in a good quality turbo muffler. Much less work/drama and it will sound great without causing you problems with the police.
Ozona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:01 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Your manifolds probably won't work. the Ram Horn manifolds are used becouse you need the center dump... the motor mount stands will be in the way IIRC.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:01 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

As for single exhaust... most of them came that way. you'll give up some power, it isn't optimal, but it'll work.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:44 AM   #5
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozona View Post
My .02: Just toss the 12" glasspacks and put in a good quality turbo muffler. Much less work/drama and it will sound great without causing you problems with the police.
there isnt room between the frame and wheel for turbos.
I have a pic somewhere, I had the pipes run outside the frame from when she was lowered dramatically.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:45 AM   #6
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
Your manifolds probably won't work. the Ram Horn manifolds are used becouse you need the center dump... the motor mount stands will be in the way IIRC.
anyone else know about this? has this been tried by someone here?
Old 02-13-2007, 08:29 AM   #7
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

the manifolds in fact do NOT fit the original style mounts. I was working on a 94 S10 blazer yesterday and got an idea. the 4.3 uses a rubber mount on the engine with a pad on the frame. I ordered a set of mounts from Mom-n-Pop auto parts and a set of pads from the local recycler. then I will use the frame stands i got from Bryan in R.C. (I was going to use them for the caddy transplant ala Longhornman style in the stepside).this should do the trick, I hope.

the muffler shop has a imitation flowmaster 40 series and a knock-off Magnaflow. I think I will go with the Magnaflow to the rear and have the option of throwing in a glasspack or 2 later if it's not enough.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:41 AM   #8
Huck

Unfortunately those newer manifolds usually don't fit most applications for our vintage trucks. You can go back to the stock ram horns and go single exhaust with a bigger pipe---for quiet. If fact this stock design produces higher torque in the low range then headers and straight duals!! At higher rpm, you are better off with the least restriction but ----. Quiet is not bad expecially when you pull away from the guy with all the noise from leaking headers!! Huck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote