The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2007, 10:31 AM   #1
dubs68SWB

sbc vs bbc power steering pump

I have a '68 swb that I'm putting a 460 bbc in. The 460 came out of a '68 gmc with an original 396. The truck also had power steering with the remote resevior on the side (yuk). I sold that pump for some good $$$ on eBay but kept the gear box. I want swap my manual box for the other on and put on a pwr pump with the reservoir on the pump. I'm really confused as to what will work. I't looks like the bracket makes all the diff. LMC lists it so that it seems (to me) that BBC and SBC are the same, just a different bracket. Is this true, or are the pumps themselves different??? Why wouldn't a BBC pump off a Camaro or Chevelle work??? I really need help or a good link!!!
dubs68SWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:01 AM   #2
kwmech

Re: sbc vs bbc power steering pump

The actual pump itself is the same, but it is the cannister that surrounds the pump that make the difference along with the remote res.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 04:02 PM   #3
Rdub

Re: sbc vs bbc power steering pump

I'll be interested to see if you can install a different pump and how it is installed. The pumps with remote cannisters seem to be like hens teeth.... I finally bought one which is a replacement for a 68 chevelle IIRC, looks a little different but I'm hoping will work..... one of the issues on my 396 is the alt. is directly over the top of the pump so, access to fill etc. would be difficult. I saw a one piece pump/cannister which had been installed as a replacemnt for a remote cannister type on a jacked up 4x4 this last summer at a cruise but, in order to have access to the fill cap it was installed at about a 45 degree angle.... looked a littlle wierd but I guess it was working. anyway, haven't had time to install mine yet.

67 chev short step, 396, 350th

41 chev flatbed, custom bed, frame & suspension, 350, 350th
Rdub is offline   Reply With Quote