The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2007, 01:11 PM   #1
Foosified

Engine stalls

This problem seems to pop up once the engine is up to operating temp. I have a rebuilt 350 mated to a turbo 350.

Some symptoms I've noticed:

When first accelerating from a complete stop it's like there is a heavy load for the first second... then it breaks free and accelerates fine.

I think this same symptom is what is causing the stalling. It seems the transmission is bogging down the engine big time. A couple of the times it stalled there was nothing… like driving a 10 hp motor and eventually it seemed like the engine flooded itself then stalls b/c it can get the revs up.

I don't think the engine is the problem because the engine I replaced had similar symptoms.

Is it possible something with the transmission is causing this? Transmission never rebuilt and is original to my knowledge.

I have a new edelbrock 600 cfm carb w/ electric choke and it is running rich, but I am breaking the engine in at the same time so I'm not to worried about that. The fact that the engine is running rich doesn't lead me to believe this is an issue beacuse it runs fine 98% of the time. Stalling only occurs from a dead stop when trying to accelerate.

On a side note what is the best jet size and metering rods for a 350 motor? what size does the Edelbrock come standard with?

Thanks in advance.

BG
Old 02-13-2007, 01:41 PM   #2
2nd_wnd

Re: Engine stalls

Sounds like it could be a torque convertor problem
2nd_wnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 01:42 PM   #3
bobthecop

ttt
1969 c10 parts truck
1969 C-10 ( my sons)
1992 Silverado 4X4 (now the boys truck)(now mine again)
2002 Tarus (my wife loves that car)
bobthecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:30 PM   #4
bryanw1968

yup.
bryanw1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:30 PM   #5
WorkinLonghorn

I have seen transmissions come in that had internal drag created when a band was failing to release or some other problem due to contamination and/or wear,broken hard parts.
My first thought though was that a bad throttle pump on the carb will cause a pause in acceleration. I'm not familiar with Edelbrock but check that you get a good squirt of gas down the carb when you open the throttle.Were you using this same carb on the last engine?
Added:>> If it's the tranny,most likely by now you will smell a "burnt" smell from the fluid (overheated friction material in suspension) and a brownish discoloration.-Brian
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.

Last edited by WorkinLonghorn; 02-13-2007 at 02:33 PM.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:56 PM   #6
Foosified

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn View Post
I have seen transmissions come in that had internal drag created when a band was failing to release or some other problem due to contamination and/or wear,broken hard parts.
My first thought though was that a bad throttle pump on the carb will cause a pause in acceleration. I'm not familiar with Edelbrock but check that you get a good squirt of gas down the carb when you open the throttle.Were you using this same carb on the last engine?
Added:>> If it's the tranny,most likely by now you will smell a "burnt" smell from the fluid (overheated friction material in suspension) and a brownish discoloration.-Brian
Other motor had a Q jet. Current one is brand new and squirts fine.

I haven't smelt the fluid or really had a good look at it either ( it's -21 deg. C out right now ). I plan on flushing the trans. It shifts fine when driving properly?

One other thing I forgot to mention, occasionaly when stopped at a light the truck will push forward as though it is trying to go from 2 to 1 gear? I think this tranny needs a good flush, but would it be worth it to also get a new TC?

Thanks

Last edited by Foosified; 02-13-2007 at 02:57 PM.
Foosified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 03:23 PM   #7
BLACK AND BLUE 67-72
Firefighter

sounds like the convertor
Yellville, Ar. USA

BLACK AND BLUE 67-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:16 PM   #8
WorkinLonghorn

Quote:
it's -21 deg. C out right now
Dang,that's ridiculous!

When you get a chance check that fluid when warm.Check to see that it's got enough in it!!! If it does and it seems "burnt" as described above you may be looking at getting another trans. Torque converters often give out a whining noise as they are going out,and we always replaced the TC and the trans together since they share the same fluid,and thus the same contamination. I really do suspect now that you have simply a low fluid condition.DO NOT drive it further until you check the level and condition of that fluid!!!
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:27 PM   #9
gator2511

At -21 degrees it won't warm up until June! (sorry, had to say it)
gator2511 is offline   Reply With Quote