The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2007, 12:18 PM   #1
outlawc

? about cutting springs

I did a search and found several threads about this but I have some questions above ride quality. I have been given a set of 2" drop spindles for my 83 Silverado but I want an additional 2" of drop. After doing a search I found that cutting 1 coil should give me the extra I need. The question I still have, does cutting just one coil affect the ride enough that I would want to just buy drop springs instead? I noticed before when I drove the truck the suspension was kind of stiff and I would like a "softer" ride. A freind told me that cutting the coil would make it feel like it was floating or that the shocks were bad. Is this true with cutting just one coil out?

Next question, My truck has heavy duty rear springs. Are these springs the same a standard leaf with an additional leaf added or they completely different? Should I get a standard leaf spring to get a less stiff ride or can I just remove one leaf from the heavy duty springs and have the same thing?
I wont be using the truck to tow with so that is not a problem, It just rides like a log truck! Thanks for any help you guys can give me!
outlawc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:00 AM   #2
karl

Re: ? about cutting springs

http://dailyjokeonline.com/funvideo.html

i dont think cutting a coil out will cause your ride to change dramatically. i have lowered spindles western chassis and drop springs 1.5 in. it rides nice w/these new coils and they are powdercoated. 4 in drop wasnt enough for me. could use anouther inch. the second truck ive started w/will have bags front and back with 3 in lowered spindles and 4 link rear. the front is almost done but need bags. everything else is new. poly bushings lowered gas shocks ball joints ect. the rear leafs i couldnt tell you but my first truck is perfect in back. all it has is a flip kit. its a half ton short step. 295/50/15, 255/60/15 tires. always check backspacing on rims..
karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:22 AM   #3
longhorn71

I think the ride would suffer from cutting the coil.To keep the ride good i would buy a dropped spring.What ever you do,DO NOT heat the spring to collapase it as the spring will be weakend badly
longhorn71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:59 AM   #4
outlawc

Thanks guys, I wasnt sure and I didnt see where anyone that had done it said anything about the ride quality.

The rear I will be doing an axle flip but I was wondering about the stiffer HD springs. It is a 6 leaf and I was wondering that if I removed 1 leaf would the ride be the same as standard spring. The rear has that hard stiff feel to it and I am sure it would ride well with a load but without one it is too stiff for me. I will just get a set of standard leaf springs and be done with it.

Thanks again
outlawc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:34 AM   #5
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

If you're not planning to haul anything too heavy, you may want to try to remove a couple of leafs from your spring pack to see if it rides softer. Remove to the two lower-most leafs and see what that buys you.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote