The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2007, 11:12 PM   #1
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

tranny cooler lines???

quick question:

are the cooling fittings on the th350 and the 700r4 in the same location on the tranny and the same size fittings?

reason i ask is i want to replace the cooler lines on my truck with the braided lines like swervin did, but i want to make sure they will still be able to be used once i upgrade to a 700r4

thanks!
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:26 AM   #2
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Arrow Re: tranny cooler lines???

The fittings are on the same side of the tranny on both types as far as them being in the exact same location. Im not sure the 700 is a bit larger so the fittings may vary some what.

As long as you have a little slack in your lines it shouldn't really matter.

And the fitting size shouldn't matter both trannys use a pipe therad in the tranny housing so if it is differant then all you would need to do is just buy the proper size pipe to AN fitting for that application.

I have SS braided lines on my truck and it has a 700r4 and if i remember correctly the tranny was 1/4 pipe and my lines are AN6.

The best way to be sure is to remove one fitting form your tranny and use a thread pitch guage to see what size it is.

And if you have the 700 allready sitting there you can test fit the fitting from your 350 in the 700 and then you will know if it fit's or not.

Another tip do not over tighten the fittings into the tranny or you can crack the case, pipe thread fittings are tapered and will get tight and some threads will still be exposed this is normal.

Alot of people think that all the threads need to be out of sight in order for a good seal and so they keep tightening them untill they hear "Snap"! Then it's too late.

Good luck.

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:53 AM   #3
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

Re: tranny cooler lines???

I used peart off my 700r4 for cooling my th350. There in about the same spot but i need id fitting for my th350 and the 700r4 hade them so i whould guess they are the same.

* 1970 chevelle 2dr sedan Latest update June 24 2007.

*1957 4 door stationwagon - pink all original needing a good restore (body great, floors bad)

newest additions
1965 shortbed fleet great granddads. Been told im nuts to bring it back from the dead (still going to happen) plans-all stock with a turbo 292 inline 3 speed column shift. and thats it

big block 427 and 5 speed trans and ford 9 inch theyhave no home yet thinking what to put them in

and a 79 c60 trash truck um no idea i have one
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:25 AM   #4
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

If you had to you can unbolt the brass fittings in the transmission. They will fit in the other transmission. Im pretty sure its just the inner diameter that is different.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:15 AM   #5
Ivan D.
glamoros piece o' lowlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 STEPPER View Post
Another tip do not over tighten the fittings into the tranny or you can crack the case, pipe thread fittings are tapered and will get tight and some threads will still be exposed this is normal.

Alot of people think that all the threads need to be out of sight in order for a good seal and so they keep tightening them untill they hear "Snap"! Then it's too late.
Another thing is you can add some gasket-maker compound on the threads, wait several minutes, then thread the fittings in - the sealer will try to glue the fitting to the tranny as you tighten it, so unless you use some monster ratchet you will have to stop tightening well before you reach the case-cracking point, the friction will be just way too much.