The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2007, 09:02 PM   #1
pound41

Floor Pan Install Question

What goes in first. The floorpan section with built in inner rockers or the footwell. Mine was so rotted I couldn't tell. Any help with the procedure or steps is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:41 AM   #2
jaros44sr

Re: Floor Pan Install Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by pound41 View Post
What goes in first. The floorpan section with built in inner rockers or the footwell. Mine was so rotted I couldn't tell. Any help with the procedure or steps is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Don't know which part is footwell, but my front cab mount, plate was the first thing in, then the floorpan, then the kick panel, then the a and b posts.
Don't forget that little spacer for the cab mount bolt...

Try not to do alot of welding in one area, move around. Heat will move your metal...don't ask how I no
Ask away, J.

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 07-08-2007 at 11:12 AM.
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:40 AM   #3
onetonk5
Cereal Killer

I replaced the entire floor first, inner kick patches second, outer A patches, B patches next. When you do the kick patches make sure to jack up under the front cab supports a little to make sure that area hasnt sagged any. Good luck.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:04 AM   #4
jaros44sr

1ton, got any pics. of your progress? J.

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 07-08-2007, 12:20 PM   #5
pound41

Thanks: Jaros-- footwell is tech term for kick panel. Thats what they list the kick panel patch as a footwell. I call it the kick panel myself. I have the b pillar ready to go back in. The front support and plate are in. The floorpan is almost ready. I was having fit issue on the kick panel floor pan area. So I thought I would ask. I am replacing almost all of my floor .Picture the hump where the console sits. 3-4 inches out on each side is all that remains original. When I first started everyone said leave good original sheetmetal intact. so I did. I have a truck cab floor from AZ that is being graphed with various parts of replacement patches. Once I get this side the passenger on my 70 blazer done I have the 70's driver side and both sides on my 71 blazer. I should be pretty good at it when I complete all those
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 02:30 PM   #6
jaros44sr

Thanks for clearing the terminolgy up for me... in the old days a footwell would've been an area that you actually sat your feet into, like a jag e-type, oh well

Yeah, I had a hard time in that area too. It is a very critical area if you want your rocker panel to clear the door...

6 of one, 1/2 a dozen of the other, leaving the original metal in that area. There is less welding involved if you take it all the way up to the boltin high hump, plus it just looked easier...JMHO J.

I hit a wall for awhile, todo list comes first. J.

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 07-08-2007 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:33 PM   #7
PBFAB.COM

Jaros44sr-
I am getting ready to this exact replacement on a 71 2WD. I will be replacing the floor sections, rocker backing plates, rocker panels, rocker boxes, front floor mount support, A pillar patches, quarter panels... etc. Hopefully I will have made some progress by the end of next week. I will be posting up all progress pics on the Blazer thread I started. Hopefully it can provide some insight for you and others.

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:11 AM   #8
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterbuilt View Post
Jaros44sr-
I am getting ready to this exact replacement on a 71 2WD. I will be replacing the floor sections, rocker backing plates, rocker panels, rocker boxes, front floor mount support, A pillar patches, quarter panels... etc. Hopefully I will have made some progress by the end of next week. I will be posting up all progress pics on the Blazer thread I started. Hopefully it can provide some insight for you and others.
Will you be using the one pc. floor that is now available, someone has to do it. It might as well be you. My project is just about done, but would like to see a hammer/butt weld dun properly

I really like the front inner fenders you guys made for kyle, hope you don't mind if I try to replicate them! It will give me more clearance behind the wheel when I stuff it on a big rock.

Maybe when I get rich and famous you guys can make me a metal 1/2 top for my jimmy, working on the bulkhead now.... J.

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim