The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-10-2007, 01:02 PM   #1
twxsby

Warped Rotors?

I just re-built the front end, had the rotors turned, new calipers, pads, bearings, and races. Flushed the system with new DOT 3 fluid. I have a bad vibration when (only when) brakeing. No matter what speed. If going slow, slow vibration, and going faster, faster vibration. Should I replace the rotors? Do I need to replace the races again, or can I re-use the new ones I just put in? Any comments on the slotted aftermarket rotors? ($170/pair) I've read that turning the rotors reduces their ability to absorb heat, making them warp easier. Maybe Advance Auto did a crappy job turning them? Maybe they didn't mike them? I dunno. It's frustrating when you put all this work into it, only to have to start over for something stupid like that. Should've just bought new rotors to begin with.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:37 PM   #2
streetstar

Re: Warpped Rotors?

did u do the ball joints too? I just got some "new" rotors from O'Reilly's for 35$ each --- maybe the inner bearing support surface on yours is messed up, causing it to wobble a little bit

Last edited by streetstar; 11-10-2007 at 04:39 PM.
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:43 AM   #3
policetruck

Re: Warped Rotors?

check both hoses coming in to the brakes and make sure they did not calapse
policetruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 09:41 PM   #4
89 crew

Does the peddle pump under your foot while braking? if it does the rotors are warped. if it doesn't then they are not. what most people do not realize is that a rotor is cast iron just like a head. the most important part of keeping your rotor from warping is the lug nuts. if you do some looking you will find a torque spec for the lug nuts. Don't use an impact wrench on them! use a torque wrench. It will drastically increase their life. if the vibration isn't warped rotors it is probably just brake chatter. oil on surface of rotor when assembled is common cause. I have seen some of the cheap brake pads that just chatter. I believe it is because of inconsistant materials in the pad. Hope that helps some
89 crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:13 AM   #5
twxsby

I would call it more of a pulsating feeling rather than a pumping one. I'm convinced it's the rotors. It has to be. The Brakelines are brand new Braided Stainless Steel, new tie rod ends, new ball joints (Moog), and I bought the $50 pads (lifetime). I will pony up the $ for new Rotors. There are 3 options. $30 ea, $60ea, or $170 for a pair of slotted rotors. I need to replace the seals for the diff, so I'll do it at the same time.
Is it worth the extra $ for the lifetime rotors?

Thanks for the tips!

Last edited by twxsby; 11-18-2007 at 08:18 AM.
twxsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:01 PM   #6
89 crew

I doubt it personally. I would use the wagner or other premium though. Something they don't tell you at the parts store is the cheap rotors are at min spec the day you buy them. means they can't be turned and they won't get rid of heat as fast.
89 crew is offline   Reply With Quote