The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-31-2007, 04:13 PM   #26
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Re: You have GOT to see this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
I think he missed the target when he gave it such a subdued look. He did an amazing amount of work, then put it on gray steel wheels. The interior is just as subtle with the stock looking later seat covered in factory cloth.

Really, really nice truck, but it needs some bling to draw attention to it's details.
I disagree. For instance when I go a picture site (like LO70C10's photobucket site) I find myself thumbing all the pics of trucks with big gauky wheels to find nice clean looking trucks. My problem with "bling" is that besides a very select few (like Torq Thrusts and drag rims) they will be outdated and no one would be caught dead with them on their truck in 10 years. I have Sport Truck and all kind of Hot Rod-type magazines from the 90's that are full of Billet Specialties and Budniks that were the rage 10- 12 years, and you'd be laughed at if you bought them now. Everybody and their and brother had to run out and buy fluted Eagles (with matching steering wheel, no less) Hatchets and Hammers 10-15 years ago and most of them end up at the local sprap yard bringin' 65 cents/pound these days. I think the same thing is gonna happen with a lot of todays big 18's - 20's and 20" - 22" staggered set-ups. I really believe that it be looked back on as one of those "what the heck were they thinking" phases like pink Heartbeat pin stripes and McLeans. I think bigger wheels are here to stay, but a lot of styles that are phat/sick/ridiculous today are going to be lame/brokeback/wacked tomorrow. People will still be running Rally wheels though. They were swell yesterday, they're sick today, and they'll still gonna be off the heezy (which will be outdated also) tomorrow!
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:54 PM   #27
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I never said anything about "trendy" wheels. Just because I used the word "bling" you are assuming I am suggesting 22" chrome plated spinners.

It's not just my opinion, but also the opinion of the photographer that almost passed it up. You can disagree if you like, but the quality of that truck will get overlooked with the wheels that are on it.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 12-31-2007 at 06:50 PM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 06:47 PM   #28
70c10
67-72 Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
I think he missed the target when he gave it such a subdued look. He did an amazing amount of work, then put it on gray steel wheels. The interior is just as subtle with the stock looking later seat covered in factory cloth.

Really, really nice truck, but it needs some bling to draw attention to it's details.
I agree!. It needs some bling.

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 02:22 AM   #29
keenee

Great Truck!

As far as I see it, the wheels are not part of his wonderful craftsmanship, thus they are the correct choice. Any one can put $$$ into the wheel shop mans hand and put "bling" on their turd. Then a bunch of "know nothings" walk by and say wow look at those rims. I would rather have the Know Nothings keep walking and the know somethings stop and admire my work. Thats my opinion. Have a great Day
'09 DAUGHTER
XOXOXO Wife
keenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:50 AM   #30
see ten
WTB this ad

I have to agree with N2TRUX on this. Wheels would make that truck! Sure wheels have nothing to do with craftsmanship but they're going to catch your eye at a distance and draw you in. Wheels make or break a ride. It's hard to find a wheel that everyone is going to like, and yes rally wheels are classics and hard to beat. Eye catching they are not. Take this truck for example. I know the owner and he has spent more on paint and bodywork than the entire truck is worth! Why? Because he wanted to. This truck is like glass but most people don't give it a second look. More than likely it's due to his stance and wheel selection. It's an awesome truck, but wheels would go a long way to making it stand out.

see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:10 AM   #31
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Thumbs up Re: You have GOT to see this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_C-30 View Post
I disagree. For instance when I go a picture site (like LO70C10's photobucket site) I find myself thumbing all the pics of trucks with big gauky wheels to find nice clean looking trucks. My problem with "bling" is that besides a very select few (like Torq Thrusts and drag rims) they will be outdated and no one would be caught dead with them on their truck in 10 years. I have Sport Truck and all kind of Hot Rod-type magazines from the 90's that are full of Billet Specialties and Budniks that were the rage 10- 12 years, and you'd be laughed at if you bought them now. Everybody and their and brother had to run out and buy fluted Eagles (with matching steering wheel, no less) Hatchets and Hammers 10-15 years ago and most of them end up at the local sprap yard bringin' 65 cents/pound these days. I think the same thing is gonna happen with a lot of todays big 18's - 20's and 20" - 22" staggered set-ups. I really believe that it be looked back on as one of those "what the heck were they thinking" phases like pink Heartbeat pin stripes and McLeans. I think bigger wheels are here to stay, but a lot of styles that are phat/sick/ridiculous today are going to be lame/brokeback/wacked tomorrow. People will still be running Rally wheels though. They were swell yesterday, they're sick today, and they'll still gonna be off the heezy (which will be outdated also) tomorrow!
Some Excellent points!
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:45 AM   #32
Andy4639
Old member

I'm going to throw my two cents in.
I just finished having my truck painted as most know. I don't build it for everyone else, I build it for me to serve my purpose in life.
I like some stuff that everyone else does and I dislike some stuff everyone likes. If I choose a certain motor,wheels, interior, whatever it makes no differance to me what you think of it. I like it. My truck is no way a show truck though!
If you are building a truck to show, I mean show... you need to consider what the judges like and for that matter what the norm is for a truck at any given time, because as stated things change. Wheels will make or break a show vehicle no matter what it is. No one will ever say the wheels are the last thing they look at on a vehicle...it's a lie if they say that, they are one of the first thing's they see and notice of a vehicle!
Whels make the first impression of the vehicle.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:57 AM   #33
CHYNSPR

While I agree that a different wheel/tire package would be the first thing I did differently, it is very easy to appreciate the work and talent with this build, and lets not forget this is the owners preference, no matter what anyone else thinks.
CHYNSPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:04 AM   #34
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
I'm going to throw my two cents in.
I just finished having my truck painted as most know. I don't build it for everyone else, I build it for me to serve my purpose in life.
I like some stuff that everyone else does and I dislike some stuff everyone likes. If I choose a certain motor,wheels, interior, whatever it makes no differance to me what you think of it. I like it. My truck is no way a show truck though!
If you are building a truck to show, I mean show... you need to consider what the judges like and for that matter what the norm is for a truck at any given time, because as stated things change. Wheels will make or break a show vehicle no matter what it is. No one will ever say the wheels are the last thing they look at on a vehicle...it's a lie if they say that, they are one of the first thing's they see and notice of a vehicle!
Whels make the first impression of the vehicle.
I just have to think with the skills and (seemingly) more than adequate resources that the that guy built the truck has, it is the way he wanted it. I think he had a certain vision of how he wanted his truck, and he built it that way. Either that, or maybe he did have a limited budget, and decided to put the $$$ in the truck than on the wheels. I still say its refreshing to see one with all the work focused on the truck rather than skimping on the truck to afford those $4000 wheels/tires like a lot of people of people do. How many trucks are on this board alone with $10,000+ spent on air ride, tires and wheels, and custom chassis work and the truck is in primer with no grill, bumpers or interior? A lot of people spend all their money on bling and never finish their car/truck.

I do agree with what you guys saying though. Sadly enough, for a vast number people out there, you can put big, blingy wheels on a rust bucket and they are more impressed with that than the nicest, cleanest truck out there on Ralleys. I personally just don't get it. I guess I'm a car/truck enthusiast, not a rim connoisseur !
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote