The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2008, 07:17 AM   #1
cochino12
It followed me home?

Steering jerk

I did some searching and couldnt really find what I needed so I thought I would ask again. The steering on 85 3/4 4*4 (origianlly 1/2 ton) wanders a lot but mainly at speeds below 40 mph. It does wander a bit at higher speeds but Its not as noticable. I have checked the frame at the steering box and there arent any cracks, it does have dual steering stabilizers but they look pretty old, also the truck has what looks to be 6" lift springs in front and only 4" block in the rear. Could the problem just be a bad steering box?

My second question is about the lift in front, can I just remove one of the leafs to make it sit level? I would rather lower the front a little than lift the rear.

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually

Last edited by cochino12; 03-09-2008 at 05:33 AM.
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:09 AM   #2
rich-white

Re: Lift and steering question

Check to see if it has a raised steering arm. If not that will do it, check the tie rod ends for play and if the steering stabs. are getting worn out (maybe pull them off and see how much resistance they still have. If they move easy there's your problem. I wouldn't pull a spring off the fron. When they make the pack they set preload? for that peticular usage 1/2 ton 3/4 ton etc. if you pull one out you will get permature dearching in the spring. The setup you have with the 4" block/6" spring is pretty standard probably has a add a leaf in the rear also. Thher was a set of 6" front and rear springs on craigslist in columbia missouri last week. If interested I would split with you I need the fronts but just put new springs on the back and don't want to replace. Goood Luck with your wandering ride.
rich-white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:19 AM   #3
cochino12
It followed me home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich-white View Post
Check to see if it has a raised steering arm. If not that will do it, check the tie rod ends for play and if the steering stabs. are getting worn out (maybe pull them off and see how much resistance they still have. If they move easy there's your problem. I wouldn't pull a spring off the fron. When they make the pack they set preload? for that peticular usage 1/2 ton 3/4 ton etc. if you pull one out you will get permature dearching in the spring. The setup you have with the 4" block/6" spring is pretty standard probably has a add a leaf in the rear also. Thher was a set of 6" front and rear springs on craigslist in columbia missouri last week. If interested I would split with you I need the fronts but just put new springs on the back and don't want to replace. Goood Luck with your wandering ride.
I tried to edit my post but I guess I did it wrong. It does have a raised steering arm, seems like I've ONLY had problems lifting a truck when I had a raised steering arm though? How much were they asking for the springs?

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
Old 02-28-2008, 11:01 PM   #4
Zoomad75
K5Camper

How does the rag joint look? If all the front end components are good and the rag joint is loose it will wander.

I'd check out the ball joints too if the rest of the steering system is tight.

If the ball joints are ok along with the steering system, you might want to have the castor setting checked out by an alignment shop. Not enough castor will allow the front end to wander more. The more castor you have the more centering effect it will have to a certain point. Find out where it's at and then bump it up a degree or two and drive it again. Don't make huge adjustments because getting more positive castor will reduce your front axle pinion angle and you could develop a driveshaft vibration.

Castor is easy to set with wedge shims between the spring/axle. Just don't stack two 1* shims to get 2*. If you need 2* get a 2* shim. Talk to your alignment guy as he will have a good idea where to set the castor for good driving and still not go too far to effect the pinion angle.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:13 AM   #5
rich-white

He does still have springs. $350.00 for all four
rich-white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:32 AM   #6
cochino12
It followed me home?

Havent really had time to get look at this much but it seems to be getting worse. After driving it more it actually pulls/jerks not really a wander? I'm going to check out the ball joints, tie rods etc... tomorrow just thought I'd bump this up again and see if there are any other ideas

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually