The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2006, 07:32 AM   #51
Medicanman71
Account Suspended

Re: Top Repairs Begin Today (w/pics)

i know a kid in auto body shop in highschool that took a face full of aircraft stripper...

(edit: back when i was in highschool)

Last edited by Medicanman71; 06-07-2006 at 07:32 AM.
Medicanman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:20 AM   #52
Huck

This post is amazing--the time and effort being put in to restoring a blazer top!! I have tried to sell some really nice single and double wall tops and am lucky if I can get $150.!! I know where there are at least 5 tops sitting and have turned down numerous oppotunities to buy them really cheap--sitting up in barns etc. but don't have a market for them!! I guess it's just a case of different markets. Here the blazer bodies rust out so bad that the only remaining bones are the tops!! Hate to buy one for $50-100. only to have to lug the big SOB home and have it sit for years ----. Can't easily ship them--and they are too big to store--especially when you can buy a van tilt for $50. and sell it for $150.!!! Interesting~~~~.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:33 AM   #53
Medicanman71
Account Suspended

load'm all up on a trailer and drive to the market places... it's probably worth it....
Medicanman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 05:16 PM   #54
EFI70Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck
This post is amazing--the time and effort being put in to restoring a blazer top!! I have tried to sell some really nice single and double wall tops and am lucky if I can get $150.!! I know where there are at least 5 tops sitting and have turned down numerous oppotunities to buy them really cheap--sitting up in barns etc. but don't have a market for them!! I guess it's just a case of different markets. Here the blazer bodies rust out so bad that the only remaining bones are the tops!! Hate to buy one for $50-100. only to have to lug the big SOB home and have it sit for years ----. Can't easily ship them--and they are too big to store--especially when you can buy a van tilt for $50. and sell it for $150.!!! Interesting~~~~.

I wish i could find a single wall top around here for cheap, seems like all i find are double wall tops.

70 GMC Jimmy 4x4
70 Camaro LS1 plans in the works
71 RS/SS Camaro numbers matching
86 Chevy Silverado SWB 4x4 (454 merlin heads, 3/4 running gear upgrade, Detroit lockers front and rear)
EFI70Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:50 PM   #55
EFI70Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyK View Post
The Gator Gaurd is real easy to paint over.Just make sure you use a paint product that's designed for fiberglass and outdoor use.
The reason I chose the boat deck paint is because it's made for fiberglass boat decks,which are constantly exposed to the sun and water.
I figured it would be ideal for my Blazer's top...so far it's held up great!
Just curious how your paint is holding up? I plan on redoing my top this year and would only like to have to do this once. I may do a writeup on my hatch repair if it turns out good. So far i have seperated it at the seam beacause of the ill state it is in.

70 GMC Jimmy 4x4
86 Chevy Silverado SWB 4x4 (454 merlin heads, 3/4 running gear upgrade, Detroit lockers front and rear)
Old 04-08-2008, 07:59 PM   #56
BobbyK

Location: Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,Mi.

Well,it's been 3 years since I repainted it and 4 years since applying the Gator-Gaurd textured coating.
Here are 2 pic's I took today(4/7/08)

Still holding up well.I garage the truck in the winter but the top is out in the sun + rain all summer.

BobbyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:31 PM   #57
EFI70Blazer

Thanks for the quick reply. I think i will end up going the same route you did.

70 GMC Jimmy 4x4