The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-25-2008, 05:42 AM   #1
Green Machine

Wheel Cylinder Lube ?

No - I'm not looking for blinker fluid either ! And certainly not GREASE !

Yes I know new ones are cheap, but I bought some rebuild kits for some good wheel cylinders that had been replaced by the PO at some. (I am cheap sometimes).

Used to be the kits came with a little capsule of lube for the cups and pistons, well these didn't have any lube, so I just cleaned and honed them and used a little brake fluid for assembly. I didn't install them but set them aside for a future project for about 6 months. Happened to check them one day and WTF, they had rust inside already, the brake fluid sucked in moisture and rusted again, so I cleaned and rehoned them, had to use brake fluid agian and put them in plastic bags now.

I think if I would have had the proper lube, that is fluid and rubber compatible like they used to put in the kits, I would have been ok. And even later when I install them, I am afraid the rust may return.

Is there a specific cylinder lube available for those that still like to rebuild cylinders if they are not too bad ? They must put something on the new ones you buy, sitting one the shelf at the parts store they don't rust.

Thought I seen that Castor Oil is a component of brake fluid and won't attack rubber, its cheap and available and sure looks like the stuff that used to be supplied in the wc kits. Will that work or what should I use ? I hate brakes that pull becuse the cylinders start to rust.

Thanks
GM
2001 GMC Sierra 1500 C3 6.0
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 05:52 AM   #2
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Re: Wheel Cylinder Lube ?

I'm afraid I can't answer your question directly.

I do know that brake fluid does have an affinity for water. That's pretty much why brake fluid looks so "funky" when flush the system
Maybe you'd be better off just waiting until you want to install them and then clean them up before rebuilding.

I know that wasn't much, if any, help.
Just a thought on my part.

Enjoy your weekend.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:33 AM   #3
chevymad

Re: Wheel Cylinder Lube ?

Maybe use some silicone brake fluid for an assembly lubricant. I've also used some silicone a/c o-ring lubricant. Not sure where you might find that though.

70 gmc changed to 67/8 chevy, 454 with voodoo cam, th400, all 74 running gear.. in progress
chevymad is offline   Reply With Quote