The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2008, 05:37 AM   #1
Chevyman680063

The story of my truck (LONG READ)

I've been a board member for almost 2 years and was just a board lurker before that but I figured I'd share the story of my '68. My grandfather bought the truck brand new in the fall of '67 from the local Chevy dealership. It came with the 250 inline six and the 3 speed on the column. It's a shortbed stepside and originally it was the light powder blue color with a white top. My grandfather worked for a company where he had to travel around the state so they gave him a company vehicle to drive so he taught my dad how to drive in the '68 and let him drive it to school. My parents went out on dates in the truck during high school. My dad drove the truck until he was able to save up the money to buy his own vehicle. After that I guess it was just my grandfather who used it.

My grandfather died from cancer during the 2nd half of '81, I wasn't born until the 1st half of the next year so we never got to meet. When he died my grandmother let my dad have the truck and he drove it whenever he needed to haul anything or just to take it out for a drive on the weekends. He eventually had it repainted a medium shade of blue in I guess the early/mid 80's. Well I use to play and crawl and jump off of that truck all the time as a kid but never thought anything about it one day being mine.

People had been asking my dad for years if he would sell it but he never did thankfully because as I got closer to driving age I knew what I wanted when I got my license. In January of '98 my dad had the truck tuned up, had it repainted, and had the seat/visors reupholstered. He taught me how to drive in that truck and I drove that truck to school and anywhere else everyday. I had people ask me how much I wanted for it but would always tell them it wasn't for sale, not because it was an old truck but because it was my grandfather's truck.

Well in December of '02 the uglyness happened. I was driving in my downtown area when someone in one of those import tuners ran into me going about 60-70 something mph. Thankfully I was not hurt, just bruised and sore. Unfortunately though the truck didn't do as well. The front end was smashed and both sides of the frame were bent in the front. I could have been hurt alot worse but I like to think that my grandfather was sitting next to me that day and took care of me.

Well here it is, around 5 1/2 years since that day and I still have not been able to start working on it so I can get it back on the road, mainly because it cost alot of money. I found a frame for it in February '03 from a '67 short fleetside that was in a local junk yard but haven't been able to get any further since. This year though I am going to try and get started working on the frame and get it cleaned up and get new suspension and brake parts for it and then transfer over the cab and bed. The original 250 is going to need to be rebuilt and the transmission and rear end are going to need their seals replaced. I know it won't be back on the road this year but maybe next year or the year after, I'm not setting any deadlines because I know I probably won't be able to meet them but it will one day be back on the road.

I'm keeping it blue but I haven't decided on which blue. I've gone back and forth between the original blue with white top or Arrival Blue. My plans are to one day have it ready so I can eventually pass it down to my son, or daughter if I don't have a son, of course I have to find a good girl to marry before either of those will come, still looking for that girl too unfortunately, maybe I should work on that first before the truck.

Well here are pictures of the truck from the time it was new until now for you to enjoy.
Attached Images

Chevyman680063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:40 AM   #2
Chevyman680063

Re: The story of my truck (LONG READ)

A few more pics.
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2008, 05:47 AM   #3
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Very good write up. Yes, your grandfather was sitting right beside you that day.

Motivation can be hard to find sometime, but you really need to rebuild that nice little stepside. It's a family heritage now.

I know there are many good Georgia members that could/wold help you. Heck, if I lived closer I'd help you turn some wrenches..... just to see you driving your grandpop's truck again!!!!

You have a holiday weekend coming, why not start on one section and get that completed.

Good luck and don't get discouraged.

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:56 AM   #4
Chevyman680063

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcb-1 View Post
Very good write up. Yes, your grandfather was sitting right beside you that day.

Motivation can be hard to find sometime, but you really need to rebuild that nice little stepside. It's a family heritage now.

I know there are many good Georgia members that could/wold help you. Heck, if I lived closer I'd help you turn some wrenches..... just to see you driving your grandpop's truck again!!!!

You have a holiday weekend coming, why not start on one section and get that completed.

Good luck and don't get discouraged.
It will get a proper rebuild, in due time. I will actually have a 4 day weekend this weekend and I might try to start doing some sanding on the frame and spray some rustoleum primer and black paint on it. I need to unbolt the front crossmember first so I'll be able to flip the frame over and get the underside of the frame and crossmember cleaned up too.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:59 AM   #5
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

you could power wash it and coat it with POR15. many people have coated thier entire frames and are happy with the results.

a rolling frame would be a good start!!

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:15 AM   #6
TruckinDaddy
What's that funky smell?

Glad you are undoing the damage. I have my grandpa's 68 also. Even though my truck is pretty rough, I still get a big silly grin every time I cruise Papa's truck.

68 C10 Long Step (Pretending to be a Long Fleetside) Grandpa's Farm Truck

3 on the tree, 307, No power brakes or steering
Factory Options - HD rear spring and Ammeter/Oil Gauges

My truck blog
My Car Domain page
TruckinDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:21 AM   #7
mine4now

This is my grandfathers blue/white 1968, he is with us and hopefully will be with us when my son (his Great Grand Son) will be driving it.
Attached Images

mine4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:50 PM   #8
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Great write up... sad story.
You comment on fundage is an issue right now.... well, your labor is free, and there is a bunch of labor involved... and, once you find that little lady, well, your 'Chevyman time'... will be hers.
Get to work man!
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:16 PM   #9
OrangeCrush1970

Thanks for sharing, Im sure your grandfather is smiling everytime you get to turning a wrench on her. Good to see another GA Boy on here, there's several guys up here around Atlanta that'll always help out in anyway we can! What part of town are you in?

1970...71...72 C1500 aka Orange aka Sideshow Bob
540 BB Straub Roller Cam, AFR Magnums, XP 950, TKO 600
2 Tons of Fun
OrangeCrush1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:42 AM   #10
Chevyman680063

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush1970 View Post
Thanks for sharing, Im sure your grandfather is smiling everytime you get to turning a wrench on her. Good to see another GA Boy on here, there's several guys up here around Atlanta that'll always help out in anyway we can! What part of town are you in?
I live in the central GA area. Also, does anyone know of a good way to sand the inner side of the frame rails?