The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2008, 03:19 PM   #76
Alex Hayley

Re: I fought the law and the law won

Listening to this exchange reminds me of this poster:

Alex Hayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:26 PM   #77
Shane
Account Suspended

Asking questions and bashing are too different things Alex.

This one has now gotten political, so I'm out.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:06 PM   #78
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

guys, keep it civil please. we have had several reported posts on several different posts in this thread. i really dont feel like closing it, so play nice, no politics and blah blah blah blah blah
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:45 PM   #79
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Delta Airlines has plenty of one way flights OUT of this country you despise so much.

They're ready when you are.

lovin it

Nonsense! I'm in my prime
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:03 PM   #80
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

I wonder who picked the lock on this thread, because it was locked yesterday
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:44 PM   #81
jayharrell
Gettin By on Gettin By

Well............. I got a new rear rubber brake line put in my 69 today. Helped alot. Whats everyone else up to??!?!

"Adios to all the concrete; Gonna get me some dirt road back streets"
jayharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:55 PM   #82
blazer72
Freedom isn't Free

I would have preferred it stayed locked. My whole point was the fact that I bought a rural place and ran into the same damn thing again, and that the neighbors couldn't wait a couple of darn months for a fence, they had to complain. My point was lost or missed somewhere and the whole thing went crazy.

I love my country.

I believe in Law Enforcement - I'm married to a hot detective, and I was a police officer for a spell.

I believe in "do unto others"

First and Foremost: I believe that FREEDOM is not free, and if you can say the word FREEDOM without getting goosebumps, a lump in your throat, or feeling in your gut, then you have no idea what it took to get it, and therefore have no business saying the word.

Now, if we can keep it civil, I'd like to post a pic of the fence in a week or two when I finish it. For the meantime, here's a pic of the trucks in the new property.
Attached Images

blazer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:01 PM   #83
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_C-30 View Post
I wonder who picked the lock on this thread, because it was locked yesterday
Yeah your right I was in the middle of typing a response and liz had it locked before I hit submit.

In just about every walk of life here in the U.K people are complaining daily about what we are told we can no longer do, or what new thing we are going to be fined for if we continue doing, and it's not because we hate our country and enjoy "bashing" it, it's because we care about it and love it and it just feels ever harder to live freely, and we all get upset to see it going this way.

Hope that wasn't to controversial.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:14 PM   #84
jayharrell
Gettin By on Gettin By

Is that a GMC and a Chevy brub over there????

Looks like an ol Shasta camperin the back.

So did you have to put up a fence just on the front porsion of the place?? That collection looks like its set way back.. Your place looks bigger in this pic then in the others... Thats alot of fence..

Old 06-05-2008, 11:32 PM   #85
streetstar

I live in somewhat rural/suburban Oklahoma on an acreage too --- trust me - i have seen a lot worse than that.

sucks about your neighbors -- i have a sister in law thats the same way. She claims i have a "junkyard" (4 total vehicles outside -- 2 DD's and a 69 lwb and 88 Blazer -- all are tagged and are driven regularly)

Nonsense! I'm in my prime
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:20 AM   #86
blazer72
Freedom isn't Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayharrell View Post
Is that a GMC and a Chevy brub over there????

Looks like an ol Shasta camperin the back.

So did you have to put up a fence just on the front porsion of the place?? That collection looks like its set way back.. Your place looks bigger in this pic then in the others... Thats alot of fence..

I have a 4X4 GMC Burb and a 2WD. Both are very rusty, the chevy is too bad to repair, so I'm going to make it a crew cab. It had been sitting since 94, put some gas and a battery in it, and it started right up. It's a shame it's so rusty, cuz it's a 100% complete matching #s burb. The GMC is complete, just missing a motor. It's repairable sheetmetal wise, in a matter of speaking.

I'm not familiar with the "shaster camper" I went to the salvage yard and bought the oldest camper shell/topper I could find for my pickup bed trailer. I want my junk to look right - HA! I mostly bought it for temporary part storage.

The original picture on the original post was at the old house, it was .65 acres, the new place is 1.65 acres, and the trucks get the .65 all to themselves. The more recent picture is at the new place. I am just going to fence in the east side (neighbors side) for right now. 192 feet (24.5 eight foot panels) and call the code enforcement officer back and see if that will suffice. He was pretty cool, he even offered me more time if I needed it.

The funny thing is that the neighbors (that complained) have a derelict vehicle in their front yard, and the weeds in the back yard are almost 4 feet high. I was going to let it go, but since the warning I recieved specifically states those two issues, I think I'll go ahead and counter-complain. Can you believe it??? I don't have any weeds (tall ones anyways).
62 chrysler imperial (hell yeah)
55 and 56 chevy hdtps
72 monte carlo
Daily Driver:
86 S-10 Blazer (drive it til I die) and 71 long fleet
Projects:
71 suburban, 72 C-30 Dually, 71 Chevy LWB
blazer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:39 PM   #87
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightbanger View Post
Yeah your right I was in the middle of typing a response and liz had it locked before I hit submit.

just for clarification I did not close the thread. Something happened that closed it but not intentionally.

The log shows me closing it at 3:26pm if you look shane also replied at 3:26 pm. Those two things can't happen at the same time. (no shane had nothing to do with this) I was also posting at the same time 3:25pm on the volunteer staff board, answering a question. I did not even check this thread until after 4 PM, when I replied that I did not want to close the post and to keep it civil etc... Admins have the ability to post in locked threads, so I did not even notice it was closed until after reading the spin off thread. At that time I asked Josh to please see who locked it and why it was locked, while I dealt with another issue.

Apparently the software blurped and something happened.. either way the thread was not closed intentionally and I apologize that you lost your post..
15:26, 4th Jun 2008 Liz Closed Thread
22:48, 4th Jun 2008 Josh Opened Thread

Blazer72, if you ever wish for a post to be closed etc, you can always click edit on your first post, then I believe its go advanced and delete thread. Its been a while since I did it that way, but you have the ability to delete your own posts or threads if you are the thread starter.

sorry to go off track a little, but I wanted ya'll to understand we try not to edit and or close posts unless its necessary. rarely do we close one n open it back up etc. sorry for the confusion.
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:45 PM   #88
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Ok, well since it is open (and I'm assuming open for discussion), there is one quote that I would respectfully like to address.

Quote:
One's rights (including property rights) end where some one else's rights begin.
Although I totally agree with the sentiment of this idea, I adamantly disagree that it applies to this topic. No one will ever make me believe that what a person chooses to keep on his property has nothing to do with anyone else's rights. A guy down the road has a green and yellow 80's Monte Carlo with yellow 24" or 26" wheels, has more ground clearance than my Z71, and is complete with a yellow vinyl top, interior and John Deere decals. IMO it is the epitome of ugly, and hurts my eyes. Guess what though, it is his car on his property. I do not feel like its my right nor anyone's else to choose how he paints and accessorizes his car. The standard arguement is always made that if it is not tagged and insured, that it is not legal. While true legally, why should they be? Why should a vehicle that is not or never will be on the road taxed for being on the road. That's as silly as having to put a tag on your lawnmower or golf cart. The one caveat to this is if you choose to move into a restricted neighborhood. If you know going in that there are rules and standards, then you have no right to complain. However, a developer buying land and building new houses across from some old guys place that has a junkyard or whatever should have to abide by the same logic. They chose to move there knowing what was already there. That's not what happens though. They complain, and the city or county comes out makes the man get rid of his stuff, on his property. Everybody talks about their rights, but they sure have no problem violating your's to get what they want. In a truly free country (like it used be here) I had no business worrying about what was on your property, and you had none worrying about mine. How is it really my property when you can tell me what I can and can't have on it. No one will ever make me believe that is right or just.

Sorry for the novel, but this is a scary subject for me. Not so much about just junk cars, but where do these laws and restrictions end? We seem to be losing more and more freedoms every year.

My trucks

Old 06-11-2008, 07:00 PM   #89
Shane
Account Suspended

I politely disagree and stand by my original post.

When one does something on HIS/HER private property that is illegal and de-values OTHER'S property (i.e: storing non-functioning / junk vehicles, cooking meth, running a brothel, hosting dog fights, running a business in a non-commercial zone, playing loud music, etc, etc, etc) then it is most certainly within the rights of the neighbors to petition local authorities and demand a remedy to the situation.

If it isn't illegal, then by all means, do as you wish and enjoy your freedom and your land. Just as jayharrell stated in an earlier post, if it is illegal and you don't agree with said law or ordinance, then get involved with local politics and have the law / ordinance changed.

Last edited by Shane; 06-11-2008 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:11 PM   #90
caminokid
Chevy nut

Quote:
Ok, well since it is open (and I'm assuming open for discussion), there is one quote that I would respectfully like to address.

Although I totally agree with the sentiment of this idea, I adamantly disagree that it applies to this topic. No one will ever make me believe that what a person chooses to keep on his property has nothing to do with anyone else's rights. A guy down the road has a green and yellow 80's Monte Carlo with yellow 24" or 26" wheels, has more ground clearance than my Z71, and is complete with a yellow vinyl top, interior and John Deere decals. IMO it is the epitome of ugly, and hurts my eyes. Guess what though, it is his car on his property. I do not feel like its my right nor anyone's else to choose how he paints and accessorizes his car. The standard arguement is always made that if it is not tagged and insured, that it is not legal. While true legally, why should they be? Why should a vehicle that is not or never will be on the road taxed for being on the road. That's as silly as having to put a tag on your lawnmower or golf cart. The one caveat to this is if you choose to move into a restricted neighborhood. If you know going in that there are rules and standards, then you have no right to complain. However, a developer buying land and building new houses across from some old guys place that has a junkyard or whatever should have to abide by the same logic. They chose to move there knowing what was already there. That's not what happens though. They complain, and the city or county comes out makes the man get rid of his stuff, on his property. Everybody talks about their rights, but they sure have no problem violating your's to get what they want. In a truly free country (like it used be here) I had no business worrying about what was on your property, and you had none worrying about mine. How is it really my property when you can tell me what I can and can't have on it. No one will ever make me believe that is right or just.

Sorry for the novel, but this is a scary subject for me. Not so much about just junk cars, but where do these laws and restrictions end? We seem to be losing more and more freedoms every year.
This is how drag strips get shut down. US 30 drag strip in Merrilville Indiana got shut down cause someone decided to build a sub division at the end of the strip. They knew it was there...but they complained till someone said it can no longer be there.

And James yours right. We are supposed to live in a free country....but yet we are slowly losing the right to be free. Living in a neighborhood where the neighborhood association... its like living in Nazi Germany here. You cant park on your lawn... God forbid you have a trailer or truck your not using right that minute when they see it. Half of the neighbors here want to do away with the nazis. If I had a way to get a place in the country...I would be out of here.

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:19 PM   #91
Billla
Account Suspended

Quote:
No one will ever make me believe that what a person chooses to keep on his property has nothing to do with anyone else's rights.
I'm bringing my nuclear waste and moving next to YOU, cowboy

I just read through this post and although it got a little interesting there it seems to be back on track. If you choose to live in a community, then unfortunately part of living there is following the rules they set - just like this board. I don't always like it - and I chose to live in a community with an HOA that drives me nuts - but those are the rules and I can either live by them or live somewhere unincorporated. I moved from one type of community to another, and it's been a constant battle for me to ensure HOA rules don't get passed (or enforced) that screw with me. We've come to an understanding that a) what happens out of 'reasonable line of site' is no one's concern and b) non-commerical auto restoration is a HOBBY like any other. No auto restoration, then no gardening, woodworking, etc.

You do have a good point about things changing - I lived in an airpark (a community with an airstrip in the center - kind of like a golf course ) and they started building up around the community. There are waivers for all those folks living under the flight path...but you can bet that at some point they're going to get a class-action together and close that strip. It's just a matter of time. Of course, that's my ex-wife's problem at that point

Last edited by Billla; 06-11-2008 at 07:21 PM.
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:42 PM   #92
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Quote:

When one does something on HIS/HER private property that is illegal and de-values OTHER'S property (i.e: storing non-functioning / junk vehicles, cooking meth, running a brothel, hosting dog fights, running a business in a non-commercial zone, playing loud music, etc, etc, etc) then it is most certainly within the rights of the neighbors to petition local authorities and demand a remedy to the situation.

If it isn't illegal, then by all means, do as you wish and enjoy your freedom and your land. Just as jayharrell stated in an earlier post, if it is illegal and you don't agree with said law or ordinance, then get involved with local politics and have the law / ordinance changed.
Fair enough. If you liken keeping junk cars to cooking meth, running a brothel, or hosting dog fights, there's no reason for us to discuss this any further. You have your views and I have mine, and luckily we are still entitled to that (at least I still think we are)

My trucks

Old 06-11-2008, 09:06 PM   #93
Shane
Account Suspended

Illegal is illegal in the eyes of the court system. That is the only point I was trying to make.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:37 PM   #94
jayharrell
Gettin By on Gettin By

Quote:

This is where me and you meet and agree. But I take the 'don’t let it happen to you' rather then the 'if you don't like what’s being done, change its course. Once a law or ordinance is passed, it’s HARD to get it put back. Read the paper and see what’s on the city counsel docket for the day to prevent these things from happening. It’s not hard to get about 20 or 30 people together in you neighborhood together and take over 50+% of the voting block in your precinct. You just have to out vote the Blue Hairs and anything about child safety.

If in a voted ordinance proposition enough people around you feel the need to vote for a standard to be set about the junkiness of your place and win, then that is truly a DEMocracy. But if you let your city counsel pass an ordinance that you and people in your community don't want, then you dropped the ball on YOUR responsibility in a REPublic decision and the people should have voiced their opioin's to the officals elected to voice your communites wants and needs. Vote them out next time, or put enough pressure on them to bend them to the values that were promised to you when YOU elecected them to REPresent YOU.

Apathy is the one reason things like this pass and get everyone riled up. But you have to look at it in the average man's point of view. "I’m here with my land, doing what I want to do. Why would anyone tell me any different" It draws deeper into the "The government’s powers are few and STRICKTLY *may i repeat* STRICKTLY defined" as Jefferson said and wrote in the constitution.

I could go WAAAAAAY off on founding father stuff, but I think this will bore enough people to stop reading.
'dark housing it'

Last edited by jayharrell; 06-11-2008 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:44 PM   #95
odog

This is a tough subject. I agree Illegal is Illegal, but what sucks is when somebody moves into the neighborhood and gets the rules changed in their favor. Here in Southern Idaho, the ground is all rock, so we blast for basically everything. We have been plagued by problems like this. People move into these new highend subdivions that have just been built. We have been there for months blasting, and sawing in water and sewer lines. They want a huge house with a basement, so we blast one in for them. Another family buys a lot next door, also wanting a huge house with a basement. Well we have to do preblast inspections on house #1, sismographing, and everything else to cover our asses, but the people in the 1st house say hey wait a minute, we don't want any blasting around here, you can't do that, then they get the rules changed so that there will be no blasting assuring the 2nd people and others following basically no basements. This is crap. Its the same old thing "It's fine for me but not for you."

If something is being done that is illegal, it needs to be stopped, but if it is legal and still de-values someone elses property, that's life. We have turned into a country who worry too much about what our neighbors are doing. Busting the nighborhood Meth house or the 50 illegal's that live in the same house on the corner is one thing, but leave the guy alone who makes a couple extra bucks to feed his family by fixing cars in his driveway after work. Everybody needs to worry about themselves more and the neighbors less, and we would be a better place for it.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:56 AM   #96
caminokid
Chevy nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by odog View Post
"It's fine for me but not for you."
Thats whats called a double standard. We can do it but your not going to do it. I had an ex that was like that...she could do what she wanted...but I couldnt. This is why she is an ex. She is now making someone else life miserable. I dont live in the nicest part of Springfield IL. This place has car sitting all over the place. The neighbor that is causing most of the problems here...has the whole neighborhood mad. The neighbor on the other side of this guy...told him to get off his property or he was going to drop his old ass. The neighbor on the other side of me...is a county cop. He got crappy with him...now the cop is waiting for his chance to nail him when he is driving. The neighbor down on the corner...has a International Scout. Restored. This guy calls on him once a week cause he doesnt drive it at all. So the guy moves it just enough so it cant be messed with. The only thing I dont understand there is... the guy has a garage. He wont put it in there.

Now this neighbor thats causing trouble for everyone has ticked off 4 guys that would love to catch him in a dark alley. People need to keep there noses in their own business. Just because I have a trailer and a truck....that is a DD in the drive....he thinks that has to go. Just because its old. Hes old too. Maybe he needs to go.

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:35 PM   #97
72cheysuper

The yard police can be ridiculous and unfair sometimes. I live in the city and you cant offend the "neighbors" by having an (unregistered or untagged) vehicle in your yard or driveway. It can look like hell or not even run, but cant offend the "neighbors" by not having a current sticker on it. If the yard police spot it, you have 72 hours to get rid of it or comply. But, it is perfectly legal to have a couple of dogs in your yard yapping all night long. Several years back in Ohio, I had no choice but to send a very nice 68 442 to the crusher because of a complaint and lack of storage. Is it legal to put a privacy fence around your place and paint a nice junk yard scene on the outside?
72cheysuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:04 PM   #98
leddzepp

Gotta agree with Shane on this one!

Last edited by leddzepp; 06-12-2008 at 07:05 PM. Reason: misspelled word
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:57 PM   #99
Arad68
Trucks N Tranzams

Quote:

"Qoute" (And James yours right. We are supposed to live in a free country....but yet we are slowly losing the right to be free. Living in a neighborhood where the neighborhood association... its like living in Nazi Germany here. You cant park on your lawn... God forbid you have a trailer or truck your not using right that minute when they see it. Half of the neighbors here want to do away with the nazis. If I had a way to get a place in the country...I would be out of here.) "Unquote".

It is not always about some one not liking junk in front of your house. Many crimes are commited with unregistered vehicles. It is a big problem for the police. It is nice to have them around.

I live in a subdivision that has an HOA and they are really cool about people with project vehicles as long as they don't spend an "extended" amount of time in the driveway or street. There is a difference between a junker or parts car/truck and a project vehicle. I have parted out numerous vehicles at my house and have had no complaints. I get it done quickly and don't make a weekly thing out of it.

As to far as this country turning into a Nazi state of some type, I don't think so, as I have seen first hand the effects of a dictatorship on it's people and I really resent this type of comment. This country is nothing like that or is it turning into it.

Although I respect different points of view, I really have to agree with Shane and others on this point.

'68 Chevy LB 383 TH400/GV/373 posi
'56 Chevy 4WD SWB
'64 Chevy short stepside
'79 Trans Am 455/TH2004R/12blt/4whldisc
95 Kia (Wifes car)
2002 S-10 extended cab pickup
"God punishes small sins immediately"

Last edited by Arad68; 06-12-2008 at 09:58 PM.
Arad68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:41 AM   #100
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arad68 View Post

I live in a subdivision that has an HOA and they are really cool about people with project vehicles as long as they don't spend an "extended" amount of time in the driveway or street. There is a difference between a junker or parts car/truck and a project vehicle. I have parted out numerous vehicles at my house and have had no complaints. I get it done quickly and don't make a weekly thing out of it.
If that were the extent of it, it would be more tolerable, but where I live the code enforcement officer will walk into your backyard and write you up for things out of sight of anyone. Having a fence or keeping things out of sight isn't good enough anymore. We were at my brother's having a birthday party for his 6 yr old little girl and the kids had all sorts toys out in the yard *LIKE YOU DO AT A B-DAY PARTY!) playing with them, and the CE officer pulled up told me brother he was going to have to clean the yard up. My brother's yard is very nice and neat, and he has no old or junk vehicles, but he is being harrased out of the blue without cause. These pricks walk onto your property and look around at their leisure and there's nothing you can legally (there's that word again) do about it.

I would never compare what is currently going on to Nazi Germany, BUT if anyone here thinks we are not slowly but surely losing rights guaranteed to us by the Constitution, I'll have some of what you're having!

My trucks

Last edited by 67_C-30; 06-13-2008 at 02:42 AM.