The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2008, 01:00 AM   #26
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

Re: Aftermarket core support RANT!!!

We can't even get them (triplus) to STOP painting the center of the 68-70 GMC grills. How much easier can it be to correct? DON'T paint them...It isn't right!
There is just "NO QUALITY CONTROL"! When they make a bad part or have a problem...they just go ahead and ship them!
Look out for bad finish on grills. After years of nice looking repros, all of a sudden there is a bunch of dull flat no shine grills coming in. They look like flat aluminum paint.
...and there are a lot more new problems showing up.
We (truck market) obviously have no "clout" and can't influence these Taiwan manufacturers.
The big (not big enough to make a difference) US distributors just keep taking this junk and seem to think there are no real problems. They tell me the quality just varies with materials & production runs...as if that was OK.
You better be buying from a local dealer, so you can see what you are buying. If you order it and have it shipped to you...you may get some real surprises and problems.

Last edited by PICKMUP; 06-24-2008 at 01:14 AM.
PICKMUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:38 AM   #27
70LonghornCST

I purchased a ton of aftermarket stuff. 2 new doors, 1 fender, inner front wells, and rear wells, and a tailgate. The inner and rear wells and even the fender were fine. However, the more intricate the item is, the more chance for repop imperfections. I have seen poorly made fenders, I just got lucky, I guess. Nevertheless, everytime I go to the wrecking yard, my eyes are peeled for a nice, rust-free, straight fender.

I did not use the doors (worthless junk) nor did I use the tailgate. I got lucky and found nice OEM replacements.
1970 Chevy Longhorn
  • Bucket Seats
  • Shoulder Belts
  • Front Tow Hooks
  • Factory Air
  • Factory Speedwarning, Tach & Vaccum
  • Factory Tilt
  • CST Package
  • AM/FM Radio
  • Bumper Guards
Richard

70 Longhorn CST Build

Adding an AM/FM Decal
70LonghornCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:04 AM   #28
kxmotox247

Sad... I've got two new Goodmark doors in boxes and I doubt I'll ever use them. I recently bought some rust free ones and will use those instead.
I'm really scared to try the new fenders... and even more scared to intermix the different brands and oem stuff.
kxmotox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:48 PM   #29
jku72

The reason people buy the aftermarket stuff is the un-availability of the original stuff.
I just paid $300 for a tool box door, then had to fix the rust on it. paid $500 for an original front clip from Arizona, and ended up throwing out one of the fenders, and a cowl panel, and the hood needed a lot of work. The radiator support, which was "solid" still needed $150 worth of sand blast work. Then the priming and repainting. The front clip that was $500 suddenly became $2000. The original tailgate I bought for $700.
Like all old cars, I ended up with $8500 worth of body work, and ended up with $5000 truck. And that was a "rust free western truck". Forget about the mechanical work.
The second truck I did I used all aftermarket parts, and they fit decent, and the cost savings in not having to strip paint, de-rust, and fix hidden bondo was immediate and obvious. In this truck, I've got a lot less money just in labor costs by using the new parts.

Even if I have to fix some dents or drill holes, I dont have to get rid of rust.Point is, I use aftermarket parts unless I have PERFECT original parts.

68 C10 burb
42 Willys MB
46 Dodge WF-32 1.5 ton
53 & 56 Olds'
60 Cadillac
22 Dodge Brothers
jku72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:24 PM   #30
kxmotox247

Interesting... Those that hate bodywork or at least hate the expense of body work are money and time ahead to probably go aftermarket.
kxmotox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:38 PM   #31
70LonghornCST

Quote:
Originally Posted by jku72 View Post
The reason people buy the aftermarket stuff is the un-availability of the original stuff.
True! I guess I'm lucky to live in California where the sheet metal on old cars lasts longer. Arizona residents are even happier! The good weather and lack of salt on the road is a major factor of old car survival rate. I wanted to save time and hassle of bodywork on my build, so I decided to go with the aftermarket stuff. The problem, however is not only the thinner gauge material, which is not only more dent prone, but it also has a
weight issue that affects the way it feels when it closes, but also because of not fitting properly. After hours of trying to adjust this, and adjust that, I gave up. I'm sure that others may have had luck, though.
1970 Chevy Longhorn
  • Bucket Seats
  • Shoulder Belts
  • Front Tow Hooks
  • Factory Air
  • Factory Speedwarning, Tach & Vaccum
  • Factory Tilt
  • CST Package
  • AM/FM Radio
  • Bumper Guards
Richard

70 Longhorn CST Build

Adding an AM/FM Decal
70LonghornCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:27 AM   #32
billsbowtie

i have 2 good driver shape 69/72 core suports $100.00 each if anyone near me needs one . it would cost to much to ship one.