The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2008, 12:52 AM   #1
Swifty

frame restoration advice

next month i pick up my S10 frame that i'll be using on my future Chevy AD. I searched on the site and didn't really come up with anything. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what to do once i get this frame. This will be my first solo build from the frame up. I'm not sure where to begin. Forgive me for the "dumb" questions. i'm sure i'll have plenty more once i start diving into this project.
Swifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:47 AM   #2
BIG CHEVY 3600
BIG CHEVY 3600 LONGBOX

Re: frame restoration advice

First thing I would do is to clean the frame, then primer and epoxy paint it. Personally I prefer to sand blast the frame. Then depending on your planned power source you might want to upgrade the rear with a Ford 9" or Camaro/Firebird, a sway bar and then look at the springs or bags.

http://s729.photobucket.com/albums/w...cpZZ3QQtppZZ20
BIG CHEVY 3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:44 AM   #3
2ndGenRR

Swifty - I'm in the middle of an S10 swap right now. I stripped the chassis down to just a roller and then cut off all of the old S10 cab and box mounts that are replaced by the swap kit. Then I mocked up the new cab, box, rad support, engine and trans mounts. Now that I have done all the cutting and located the mounts, I am blowing it back apart to send the chassis for sandblast. When the frame comes back from blasting, I will weld my mounts on to the clean surface after applying a weldable primer to the areas of bare metal that will be covered by the mounts. When all the welding is done, I will send the whole chassis to powdercoat.

I chose not to sandblast first because I wanted to mock everything up and didn't want the frame sitting in bare metal or having to grind and weld on a newly painted frame.

Just one guy's approach...hope it helps.
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton, 3-window...building to sell.
Daily Drivers: 1998 3/4 ton Burb with a 6.5 Turbo Diesel and 1994 1/2 ton Silverado.

I grew up in Flint, Michigan so I can't help but to bleed Chevy!
2ndGenRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:45 PM   #4
BIG CHEVY 3600
BIG CHEVY 3600 LONGBOX

Thumbs up Re: frame restoration advice

That is good advice and one I would follow. I forgot the mock up needed for your situation. With mine I started with the AD frame not the S10.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:41 PM   #5
Swifty

thats for the help guys. I was thinking...

-Clean it up (should i wire brush it, or just wash it up and let the sand blaster do all my work?)
-find out where new cab mounts go
-Sand blast it
-Weld the new cab mounts
-Paint or Powder coat (do you think its neccesary to powder coat?)
-replace the rear end (what year camaro do i need? do i need anything special for this or is it basically bolt on?)
-add airbag set up (i'm getting the premade kit for the S10 to lay frame)
-prepare for engine mock up
Old 09-16-2008, 01:51 PM   #6
tonkadawg

a thought on powder coating your frame - how about using line-x instead? I had some stuff done and while I was out there, the guy had a '32 Ford chassis he coated - that turned out really nice!
tonkadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 04:32 PM   #7
2ndGenRR

I prefer to do all the mock up before paint or powdercoat...which would include all the suspension, engine and tranny mounts, etc. Some guys go so far as to run all their lines during the mock up phase...with the S10 chassis you probably don't need to do this, as you can just use the factory lines and/or mounting locations. If you don't mock up everything else, I can almost guarantee (based on my experience with "bolt-on" parts...and what it takes to get them to "bolt on") that you will end up cutting, grinding or welding on your freshly done frame and you will not be a happy guy.

Paint vs. Powdercoat...The upside to paint is that it comes in infinite colors, can be touched up and it gives you the opportunity to bodywork the frame if you are going for perfection. The advantage to powdercoat is that it is less expensive (once you figure the cost for primer, paint, etc.), more durable and smooths out some of the imperfections without doing bodywork...which is nice if you don't lay a stack of dimes with the welder...which I don't! You can certainly get great results either way.

I have never tried Line-X on a frame. It sounds interesting and durable, but one thing to consider is that Line-X leaves a pretty thick layer (usually at least 1/8th inch) and your holes will all have to be reamed when you re-assemble...this also can be an issue with powdercoat.

I believe that any 2nd Gen Camaro (70-81) rears are basically bolt-in deals...but I would still mock it up, cause you never know until it's installed!

Here I am...going on a like I know something! Hope it's helpful...

btw - to respond to your question about cleaning up the frame...I just degreased the front of the frame with engine degreaser on mine and then mocked everything up...I didn't want to play in grease and it will keep the sandblast guy from giving you dirty looks!
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton, 3-window...building to sell.
Daily Drivers: 1998 3/4 ton Burb with a 6.5 Turbo Diesel and 1994 1/2 ton Silverado.

I grew up in Flint, Michigan so I can't help but to bleed Chevy!
2ndGenRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:23 PM   #8
Swifty

Thanks 2ndGenRR! Looks like i'll be having the frame powder coated. I can't wait to get started on this thing!
Old 09-16-2008, 06:26 PM   #9
BIG CHEVY 3600
BIG CHEVY 3600 LONGBOX

well good! Now crank up that digital camera and keep the project pictures coming.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:37 PM   #10
Swifty

i don't pick up the frame until late October. Its currently at my dad's house in TN. Right now i'm just trying to figure out a plan of attack so once i get it i can get started right away. I'll be sure to post pics though.

Last edited by Swifty; 09-16-2008 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:19 PM   #11
floridasteve

Off the subject but I am in need of one of the supports for the running boards. I tweeked the rear drivers side bracket when the running boards were off. So, since you have to fabricate the brackets would one of you mind selling one?