The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2008, 01:15 PM   #1
B17CRX

king pin assembly ?

So I am putting the front spindles back on my 55 2nd series truck and the way the king pins were installed by the previous owner just don't look right. Can someone post a pic of how these are supposed to go back together or a link?

-Joel
B17CRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:44 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: king pin assembly ?

The bearing goes on the bottom of the axle, the thin spacers go on top of the axle. Depending on the year there maybe a thick ball type bearing or a thin brass washer type bearing.

Last edited by dwcsr; 09-21-2008 at 01:45 PM.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:10 AM   #3
B17CRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
The bearing goes on the bottom of the axle, the thin spacers go on top of the axle. Depending on the year there maybe a thick ball type bearing or a thin brass washer type bearing.
hmmm, ok this is what I have....

Two king pins, four caps, four pin bearings, two set pins, four flat copper bearings, two thin washers, and four recessed washers that fit inside each other.

-Joel

Last edited by B17CRX; 09-22-2008 at 12:13 AM.
B17CRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:18 PM   #4
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B17CRX View Post
hmmm, ok this is what I have....

Two king pins, four caps, four pin bearings, two set pins, four flat copper bearings, two thin washers, and four recessed washers that fit inside each other.

-Joel
The copper washers go into the recessed washers one on the top of the copper and one on the bottom. That assembly (greased) goes on the bottom of the axle beam between the axle and the lower spindles hole. The thin washers go on top of the axle beam, between the axle and the upper spindle hole. The bushings get pressed into the spindle holes. I suggest you have a machine shop do the bushing press work and reaming if its needed. Sometimes no reaming is done, slamming them in with a hammer and socket can wreck a set of bushing.

when you push in the king pin make sure the flat lines up with the cross hole in the beam. Then tap in the pin lock with its flat spot matching the flat on the king pin. once eveything is in place and your sure it right then stake in the domes one on top and one on the bottom of each pin hole.

Last edited by dwcsr; 09-22-2008 at 03:23 PM.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote