The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2008, 10:55 PM   #1
Garagedude

Fuel Cell Question

Alright I have been looking around at fuel cells and am unsure what to buy one with foam or without. Somebody told me not to get the foam it deteriorates fast, and clogs your pump and stuff. I started thinking about it does the stock gas tank in these trucks have foam in it? What do you guys recommend foam or no foam?
Garagedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:50 PM   #2
leftcoast66

Re: Fuel Cell Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garagedude View Post
Alright I have been looking around at fuel cells and am unsure what to buy one with foam or without. Somebody told me not to get the foam it deteriorates fast, and clogs your pump and stuff. I started thinking about it does the stock gas tank in these trucks have foam in it? What do you guys recommend foam or no foam?
I ran an RCI fuel cell for a few years and never had any issues. W/ the foam it helps so your fuel doesn't slosh as much inside of the fuel cell. Reads more accurately. I haven't looked lately, but for the 2 years I drove the truck daily, the foam wasn't deteriorating. I drove it last summer and that would have been 5 years of use and never had any issues.
leftcoast66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:09 AM   #3
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

[I] put a Jazz foamed cell in my truck in 98,,, Pull the comp filter apart once in awhile to clean it out,, only foam I see a few flakes,, and small chips I attribute to the fuel nozzle inserted into the cell tearing things us. If you run alcohol or E-85 you might want to get it out of there, but for pump gas,, I bet you'll see more trash from the pump than foam debris.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:36 PM   #4
Super73

I bought a Summit one. I think the problem I had with the foam was my own fault. I had switched the bulk head fitting out to a -8 from the -10 it came with. To do this, you need to pull the sending unit out and the foam so you can get in there to get a wrench on the back side of the bulk head.

The foam when it rubs the opening of the cell, you end up knocking off pieces and slightly pull it apart. Well, it messed up my fuel system 3-4 times by cloging my prepump filter. I yanked the foam and cleaned out the tank. I have not had a problem since.
1/4---10.38 @ 126.97----9.24 @ 142.49
Super73 is offline   Reply With Quote