The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2002, 02:36 PM   #1
roblando

Question 85 C10 replace radiator suggestions

85 C10 6cyl 4.3 auto 2wd;
Project 2: My radiator has been leaking, even after several attempts to repair. I'd like to replace it but, I heard an electric radiator (w/fan) is better, as factory fan would be obsolete and would add a tad more hp. Whether or not this is true, any suggestions on what's better?
roblando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 04:21 PM   #2
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Here is my vote!!!

I posted the info on another forum but here are the details on the install for my truck.
$165.00 454 four core aluminum center with plastic ends radiator. I'm lucky to have found this one. A full aluminum radiator costs over $300.00. The price I paid for this aluminum core radiator is cheaper than a new copper replacement.
$45.00 per 14" fan from a company in Dallas, TX. They are actually a steal on www.ebay.com Guy usually sells them for $65 but since I wanted two so he cut me deal. The fans are actually GM factory type fans you find on some new Tahos and Yukons.
$59.99 www.painlesswiring.comblock thermostat setup.
$19.99 454 radiator boltup bracket from www.cheyennepickup.com
$4.99X4 for the plastic top and bottom supports
$19.99 for the adjustable fan boltup legs.
Total=$374.78
You can cut some of the cost by using a different control switch, find some used 454 1 or 3/4 ton parts. Just don't skimp out on the fans.

I don't expect the fans to actually ever come on except for the summer time. A high flow water pump with the big radiator should do a very nice job cooling the engine. I will also be adding some Water Wetter to the system. From what hotrodders tell me, it will lower the engine operation temperature. The 305 will never get hot but with a planned 400+ HP 350 I want to plan ahead. The look will almost be factory since I will be using a factory radiator support bracket. Another reason I want to remove the fan is to clean up the engine bay. I will be running a serpentine belt setup from a 88+ truck. I've been looking for a 94+ serpentine belt setup without the smog pump option. My brother has one on his 94 and I like the look for my truck. I may resort to the dealer if I can't find a serpentine system. All the systems on ebay have the smog pump option. I don't need the smog pump option on my '83. Probably the last item for the converions is gas milage. I like to drive mine on long trips some which are 16 hour round trips. I'm getting close to 17 MPG and I would like to keep it that way when I drop in the 350.

------------------
Gerardo
1983 Custom Truck
TX Plates: "BAD BOW"

[This message has been edited by gchemist (edited April 11, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by gchemist (edited April 11, 2002).]