The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2009, 05:02 PM   #426
XXL
Seņor Member

Re: LFD's 4dr Tahoe Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdave00 View Post
Kevin, you are spoiling us with the daily picture updates. Keep it up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
You and me both! Thanks.

Your right I'm sorry, here let me make it up to you with this
No, he meant more pictures of the thing on the wall...
Attached Images

XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:02 AM   #427
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXL View Post
No, he meant more pictures of the thing on the wall...
I called ghost busters but I have not herd back yet. I figure as long as he doesn't bother me I won't bother him, but I know he is the dam one who keeps hiding my tools

So some of my parts arrived today and I only had time tonight to check things out so I can build in my sleep and start fresh in the morning. I ordered the small bear claw latches from Summit along with the install kit. I went with the small ones because they have the latch at the end and not in the middle as the large latch does and this was supposed to make it easier to mount my lift shocks. They would except I did not figure that the latch was long enough to put the release up in side the side of the window frame. This makes it a lot more difficult to mount any kind of a rod style release so I thought about flipping it over (and swap sides) so the release was at the bottom but then the catch is up here my shock was going to mount. The next thought was to mount the latch in the bottom of the gate and have the strike pins mount in the top of the door (the part I have not yet built) so the lift gate and doors would inter lock. This would leave plenty of room for the shock but the doors and gate would not be as solid as I was wanting if the lift gate was latched to the sides of the body.

So now I am thinking about ether using a shorter shock and sacrificing for of the open angle of the gate or maybe have the shock mount off the inside of the lift gate and not the sides. This would be the easiest but then leaves the shock and mounts exposed to the inside of the Tahoe and that is just not what I want to see. So I will seep on that one.

Next are the rear inner fenders that came today and they are 36x13 and mocked up to about the correct height but are sticking into the inside of the cab about 5" to much each side. Once I get my rear rims I will notch out the body and sink these in so they just clear the tire at full dump. They may end up at an angle to follow the camber of the tire when dumped and this would help and give me an extra 1" per side of room for the base of the seat to clear. It may not be needed but we will see in about 4-6 weeks if the rims show when they are scheduled. Thats all for my daily post

Kevin
LFD Inc.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:41 AM   #428
Rokcrln

Here's Saturdays progress. I tried about 8 different set ups on the shock location and found this one to work the best with my limited space due to the Bear Claw latch. I ended up with a 12/20" shock and this one has 40lbs of lift that will be kicked up to a 70 or 80lbs once it is all finished with glass but all they had in stock was the 40 so I got one so I could progress with mock up. I mounted the top just inside the the lift gate and this does two things for me, it helps keep psi against the door when it is closed and it also gives me extra lift when the gate is open because that mounting point changes from inside to below the gate when it is open. So I am getting about the same lift as a 10" stroke but using only an 8" stroke and my open angle is only 1" bellow the max I can have with my hinge set up. I made the top mount out of 3/16" plate and made it 1 1/2" x 7 1/2" and plug welded it to the stock upper mount and then flush welded about the last 3" of it to the inside gate were it pocks through.

Then I started working on the latch mounts and boy does it get tight fitting these in the sides of the lift gate. I will need to make two removable covers on the bottom edge of the lift gate so I can get to and hook up the latches to what ever rod set up I go with to actuate the latches. I might go with a Blazer T handle on the lift gate to open things up. I hope to get the latches all finished up today as well as the lower shock mounts.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-08-2009, 10:59 AM   #429
70 Suburban
Rods

nice work. only thing I would have done is have a bolt on latch access in case of future issues
70 Suburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:02 AM   #430
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 Suburban View Post
nice work. only thing I would have done is have a bolt on latch access in case of future issues
That is were the bolt on covers will come in that I mentioned for access to the rods. The latch will drop out of that same hole

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:20 PM   #431
Rokcrln

I don't know why but it just feels like I am not making progress lately. I know I am but I guess I am just in suspension mode and since I am waiting for parts this is just fill in work that could be done later but oh well. I had to mount the strike plates back wards because of the space allowed for the stock latch lift/holder. So I cut the strike open and flipped the nut around then welded it back up since my strike bolt is not "on the wrong side" from how it was designed. Then I Tig'd it to the jamb and welded the cage around the strike nut as well. I will mold this all in better once body work starts. Now I just need to figure out what I want to do about a latch on the out side of the lift gate.

I also filled in all the old hinge slots and mounting holes in the jamb as well as the hinge slots in the lift gate.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-08-2009, 10:32 PM   #432
Dinos63
chevy only

Kevin your work is killer and you are amazingly fast ,but i know how feels waiting for parts
Old 03-08-2009, 11:02 PM   #433
70 Suburban
Rods

right on.. If i get a set of barn doors I thin I might go this route.. I like it
70 Suburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:52 AM   #434
Number98
Prestige Worldwide

Great work man! That thing is really looking good

Last edited by Number98; 03-09-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Number98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:56 PM   #435
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

Looks damn near factory. And that's a good thing
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:17 PM   #436
msgross

Texanidiot, I just noticed that you quoted me!
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 04:17 PM   #437
Rokcrln

So this weekend is the "Girls Weekend" so my wife is gone until noon on Sunday and guess what showed up Friday when I got home? Yep the parts I need to keep going on the rear suspension so whats a Dad to do with a 21month old while he is out in the shop? First thoughts were to let my Rotti play with him for the afternoon but I like my Dog too much to put him through that. Next thought is to load my son up with tons of sugar and add Rock Star to his bottle so after about 4hrs he will crash and give me a good 4hr nap so I can go out and play.

But I went for option #3, get up at 6am with him watch our Saturday morning car shows, have some breakfeast then head out to Sam's club for some shopping while Momma's gone so she won't have to do it Sunday when she gets back. Guess what that was enough for about a 2hr nap so I went out to the shop (were I have the baby monitor) and started on the rear 2 links that will hold the RE8 bags. I was also laying out my front 4 links as well as my diff mount links. I will get about a half day on Sunday to try and get the main diff cover mounts made and in once my Wife gets home.

So here is what I got done with the rear links. They are 1.5" .250 wall DOM with 2" .250 wall DOM poly bushings. I put a 20* kick in the arms so at ride height they will be parallel with the ground so my bag sits flat. Then I kicked up the juice in the TIG welder and melted them in place. I will be drilling and tapping all the link joints with Zerk fitting as well as putting groves in the bushings to allow grease to get to the main shaft sleeve. Then I remembered a friend gave me a bunch of 1/2" grade 8+ shaft bolts from his old work that were used in hydro ram attachments so they should be plenty Strong for this and will look cool as well. Here are a few pics for now.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-14-2009, 07:56 PM   #438
Ackattack

What did you use to bend that tubing?

I made some links for my jeep out of 2" .25" wall DOM tubing....that's some heavy duty stuff!
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:04 PM   #439
Rokcrln

I used a fully hydraulic tube bender (JD3) I have from when I use to do allot of off road cages. These days I have plans to be using it along with a tube roller (stuffed behind the door in the corner) for full tube chassis on street rods. I also have 2" .250 lower links on my rock crawler but I used 1.5's for the uppers since they would not double as rock sliders and this stuff was left over. I still have a few straps to add to the joint end but I will do that after my Wife gets back.

So after my Son's nap we went out and built a dog house for Otto or was it a play house for my Son Then he wanted to play ball with the cat, that did not go so well! So we went in back and he asked to drive his truck, so we did.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Rokcrln; 03-15-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:15 PM   #440
Big Block
Big Block

You are a sheet metal god. I'm in awe of your talent and creativity. Good work. I could only dream of doing something like that.
Big Block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:38 PM   #441
Dinos63
chevy only

your boy is getting big, i remember when my kids played in my trucks now they are all driving them it goes by fast so enjoy it, and oh nice work on the truck
Old 03-15-2009, 02:44 PM   #442
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

Is this the one you had in a baby seat in Lo-Buck?
Old 03-15-2009, 09:31 PM   #443
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanidiot25 View Post
Is this the one you had in a baby seat in Lo-Buck?
Yep that would be the same one.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:59 PM   #444
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
Yep that would be the same one.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
That's cool to see him grow up in the different projects. Hope he sticks with it as he grows up.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:01 PM   #445
Rokcrln

So once my Wife came home I had some time to go out and play abit. I got the rear end of my "6 link" bars finished up and was able to mock up one side to make sure it lined up with the stock C4 Mono leaf link, and it does

I also got the rear mount for the Diff made and installed but I still have a bit of welding to do once I pull it back out. Then it is off to get a run over the surface plate to make sure I won't get any leaks down the road. You can see the spacer I Tig'd to the out side of the diff mount and I have done this to all link mounts for added strength as well as to take up the extra 3/8" of length in the shoulder bolts I have.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-16-2009, 10:11 AM   #446
Tagg33

Great build, I'm subscribed. I'm putting a C4 IRS in my truck soon. Did you do anything to the aluminum parts on your irs to clean them up? In the pictures they look bright and clean. Do you plan to leave them as is or paint them with your new diff cover? How about the the ABS sensors do you have any plans to do away with them or just leave them.

84 SWB, C4 IFS Crossmember, C4 IRS, RE7 bags, WCC 3pc 22"s
My reBuild: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=346328
Tagg33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:22 PM   #447
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagg33 View Post
Great build, I'm subscribed. I'm putting a C4 IRS in my truck soon. Did you do anything to the aluminum parts on your irs to clean them up? In the pictures they look bright and clean. Do you plan to leave them as is or paint them with your new diff cover? How about the the ABS sensors do you have any plans to do away with them or just leave them.
The diff is just how I got it from the dismantlers, no cleaning. I will have the diff cover powdered coated near chrome to blend in a bit better and I will just remove the ABS parts.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:51 PM   #448
Rokcrln

I played a bit tonight with my rear link set up and made good progress. I finished the end of the first link and for not being a very good Tig welder I say it turned out well. Once I get my RE8's I can build the bag mounts and start on the shock mounts as well. I need to order a few Hiem joints for the track locater on the hubs but the last pic shows the direction I am going with it.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-17-2009, 12:50 AM   #449
Puropedo
Account Suspended

Wow, it really takes a smart dedicated brain to accomplish that. NICE!!!
Puropedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:17 AM   #450
Frizzle Fry

Those turned out great! Are you going to put bushings or another mechanism on the end-links (between components) in case the suspension ever unloads?

Last edited by Frizzle Fry; 03-17-2009 at 01:18 AM.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote