The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2009, 10:32 AM   #726
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Re: My 1965 build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggamonsta View Post
What about using a couple door actuators attached directly to each latch. You could hide a button or make it remote activated. Then there is no handle or rods to deal with.
Thanks Tigga, have you seen this done? Any pix? I'll give it some thought. Thanks for the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Alan

For a handle/latch on your tailgate, you could possibly use a universal paddle latch like is used on toolboxes and comercial vehicles. I've used them on custom toolboxes and such that I've fabricated. I usually buy that type of hardware from these guys
http://www.austinhardware.com/catego...%20&%20Catches

They have ones that actuate rods or cables. You might have to search a little bit to find the one you want. I believe they have a warehouse in GA also. Just an idea
Thanks Captain for the link. I'll look at it and see what I can come up with .

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizer View Post
Say its not so..... Ford parts in your Chevy.

Never mind I have ford parts in my Jeep so Who am I to talk. hahahaha

I posted this a while back when I found it, but here it is again. Just to give you more ideas to kick around.

Some info on this page
http://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread...=18796&page=12

Latches seem to be from a mazda.
Paddle handle from a Jeep TJ. Says he went with a TJ since its metal opposed to a YJ that uses plastic. YJ are the square headlight model just in case you don't know the difference.

Of course I'd center it on the inside of the bed, but using a Jeep handle it would give you a more narrow throw unless of course its to long. I didn't measure it or put any research into it. Just another idea.
Thanks Kiser for another option. I'll keep it in mind and do some reading.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:14 PM   #727
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

I just figured cable would be easier since you can wrap it any which way you want. The only draw back I can think of if the cable ever came loose off the pin side. Off the paddle side you could always unscrew the paddle and reconnect it or tighten it.

Rods would last forever if taken care of, but setting them up initially might be a pain in the butt unless of course you have a screw/nut type of adjustment.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:38 PM   #728
daverod
SSN 706

Damn; Allen you are the man. Nice work. I have a 66 I just bought. Picked me up a 59 dash on ebay today. My hero keep up the good work Later .
daverod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:10 PM   #729
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverod View Post
Damn; Allen you are the man. Nice work. I have a 66 I just bought. Picked me up a 59 dash on ebay today. My hero keep up the good work Later .
Thanks Dave and good luck with your dash and Welcome aboard. Start you a thread and let us know what's going on.

Hey Captain, I had a little time to check your link out and ran across this. If i could weld a bellcrank on it to release the latches I think it would cool mounted on the inside of the tailgate. It's stainless steel to match the bed hardware. I'm still in the planning stages and going to check out what the others have mentioned.

Flush Handle link
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2009, 09:16 AM   #730
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

This build keeps getting better and better...I like your idea for the flush handle that you posted. I have never seen that one used before so it would be real cool!

Spring starts today, what is your goal for getting her running?

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:07 PM   #731
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
This build keeps getting better and better...I like your idea for the flush handle that you posted. I have never seen that one used before so it would be real cool!

Spring starts today, what is your goal for getting her running?
Thanks Karl, my plan right now is to get the cab painted and work on the tailgate and who knows what else. Once I get the tax return back I hope to get the engine parts to set the engine and trans in the frame.

I got an email from photobucket yesterday saying I have 5GB of bandwidth left for the month. I didn't upload anything yesterday and today I get locked down til the 26th. What the heck is the difference between bandwidth and storage. I get 25 GB monthly bandwidth. So my pix are locked down til the 26th. I'm not going to pay 39.95/yr just yet. I could just creat another account on photobucket if it comes down to storage. Don't know if it would be the right thing to do.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:24 PM   #732
Strodder
Daring to be Different

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post
[COLOR="Blue"]
I got an email from photobucket yesterday saying I have 5GB of bandwidth left for the month. I didn't upload anything yesterday and today I get locked down til the 26th. What the heck is the difference between bandwidth and storage. I get 25 GB monthly bandwidth. So my pix are locked down til the 26th. I'm not going to pay 39.95/yr just yet. I could just creat another account on photobucket if it comes down to storage. Don't know if it would be the right thing to do.
I use Smugmug.com. I had it for years and never had a problem with storage. I can download as much as I want. If you mention my name (Dennis LaRossa) as a reference I'm pretty sure you will get a discount. Last time I referred someone I got a discount for the next year, and so did the person I recommended. And I think it's cheaper than Photo Bucket.
Check out my Smug Mug gallery's at www.belair.smugmug.com
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/291198124258863/
1965 C-10 Short Bed 350/700r4
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2016 Honda Accord w/ 18" rims
2007 Honda Goldwing Trike w/ NAVI
2001 Yamaha Roadstar Indian look alike
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting "...WOW!...what an amazing ride!"
Live Life Passionately!!!

[/COLOR]

I AM WE TODD IT, I AM SOFA KING WE TODD IT
Strodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:26 PM   #733
joe231

hook us up with a password for your protected galleries, please?
Old 03-20-2009, 09:47 PM   #734
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strodder View Post
I use Smugmug.com. I had it for years and never had a problem with storage. I can download as much as I want. If you mention my name (Dennis LaRossa) as a reference I'm pretty sure you will get a discount. Last time I referred someone I got a discount for the next year, and so did the person I recommended. And I think it's cheaper than Photo Bucket.
Check out my Smug Mug gallery's at www.belair.smugmug.com
Thanks for the info. I did breeze thru the pics. Ther's some cool stuff there. I'm with Joe we need access to the VIP section. I'll check into smugbug when I have time. BTW what is time I don't have any.

If there is a will there is a way. I forgot I use to use picasa. I'll use it till the other clears up.

I made a cab lift bar. I didn't have any metal to build one then Shannon (Sdailey) came home one day with this big piece of metal and was what I needed. The clevis on top came with the bar. It might come in handy some day. The bar is nothing fancy by no means, but will serve a purpose.

I get lucky every now and then laying a bead.

Nothing is adjustable. WARNING it will flip over by pivoting on the bolt. Not with the cab of coarse, I know that was what ya'll were thinking. I was moving the lift a little and noticed it looked like a big scale and all of the sudden it went over. Just glad the kids or my hand wasn't in the way. I use a strap to hold it in place until I get it positioned in the cab.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:17 PM   #735
Strodder
Daring to be Different

I get lucky some times too. Nice bead. Looks like you need one of these.

KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:

[/COLOR]

Old 03-20-2009, 11:51 PM   #736
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

That is why I have multiple photobucket accounts.

Storage = The amount of stuff you have on their server.
Bandwidth = The amount of data they display in a given period.

For example. You upload an image that is 1meg. Now 100 people view that 1meg file you stored = 100meg in bandwidth.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:17 PM   #737
Strodder
Daring to be Different

Quote:

For example. You upload an image that is 1meg. Now 100 people view that 1meg file you stored = 100meg in bandwidth.
You should try SmugMug too. You'll love it.
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:

[/COLOR]

Old 03-21-2009, 12:31 PM   #738
Dinos63
chevy only

ALAN, NICE WORK
Old 03-21-2009, 04:16 PM   #739
ruffrida2005
Member of the longbed union.

nice bead you put down Alan, I took the bed off my truck yesterday to start work. I'll have to post the welding skills my buddy did on it before I bought the truck. i lifted the back of the frame up and the c-notch cracked. He used C-channel for it. I'm thinking about doing a back half if I dont put a step notch in.

88 GMC Crew Cab dually, 454/T400

64 LWB 400 HP 350/350T Bagged, under construction! Sold most of it!

92 S10 Iron Duke 5 speed, 5/7 drop for now. soon to be bagged. Sold http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post4637759
ruffrida2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:24 PM   #740
Alan's Classic

Quote:
I get lucky some times too. Nice bead. Looks like you need one of these.

That would be nice I built the shop to accomondate one, but the more I think about it I'd like one of these. It's a mid rise scissor lift. LINKY I found 2 on CL for $1000 ea. If I had the $$ I would have one of each. Just can't do anything right now. My wife quit here job this past week. So it will be really tight.

Quote:

Thanks for clarifing that for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinos63 View Post
ALAN, NICE WORK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 View Post
nice bead you put down Alan, I took the bed off my truck yesterday to start work. I'll have to post the welding skills my buddy did on it before I bought the truck. i lifted the back of the frame up and the c-notch cracked. He used C-channel for it. I'm thinking about doing a back half if I dont put a step notch in.
Looks like your back, welcome back. I remember what it felt like to come home.

Thanks and let us know your progress on your truck. I'll keep my eyes open.

Well today was one of my daughters Bdays and tommorrow is our neighbors daughters Bday (not Sdailey's). All the guys that came had a meet and greet in the shop while the women folk talk. Then we came in for the party. I couldn't miss that.

Last edited by Alan's Classic; 03-21-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:26 AM   #741
Strodder
Daring to be Different

I found my 9,000 lb lift used for only $1,500.00, and it was only a year old. I lucked out finding it. When I started my shop, my wife said do you really need the lift. My son didn't have one in his shop, and he did OK with out it. I said I'm not going to lay on the floor you do what I do. I've been a mechanic for to many years to work on the floor. I always worked with a lift in all the shops I worked in. After she sees me working with the lift she says "I don't know how our son works with out one" I'm not trying to talk you into buying one, but once you have one you can't be with out it. Look for a used one when your ready. The mid rise is nice, but it's best for brakes, and tires. Like you said it would be nice to have both.
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:

[/COLOR]

Old 03-22-2009, 10:58 PM   #742
Alan's Classic

Quote:
I found my 9,000 lb lift used for only $1,500.00, and it was only a year old. I lucked out finding it. When I started my shop, my wife said do you really need the lift. My son didn't have one in his shop, and he did OK with out it. I said I'm not going to lay on the floor you do what I do. I've been a mechanic for to many years to work on the floor. I always worked with a lift in all the shops I worked in. After she sees me working with the lift she says "I don't know how our son works with out one" I'm not trying to talk you into buying one, but once you have one you can't be with out it. Look for a used one when your ready. The mid rise is nice, but it's best for brakes, and tires. Like you said it would be nice to have both.
I agree the 2 post lift has alot to offer. I've worked on both. Doing body work or panel replacement I have found the scissor lift to be more beneficial to me. The post get in the way when working the sides. And doesn't get in the way when not in use. My shop is a 30X30 and it's tight with all my crap in there. When working on the last Miata I did I borrowed another guys lift while he was on vacation. Man it was great not kneeling down on the concret all day. I could stand up and do what ever I needed. A 2 post lift wouldn't fit this job very wheel IMHO. I could block the sides and open doors without fear of the doors hitting the post. I could use padding on the post, but they still get in the way. Do you have that problem doing bodywork on your 2 post. Thanks Strodder for the thoughts.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:33 PM   #743
ruffrida2005
Member of the longbed union.

Yeah I got back 3 weekend ago, Cant wait till april for my month leave, gonna tear the truck down. It's at my parent's so I'm gonna use my dads shop. I'm trying to get my wife to take all the pictures so we can get a build thread, I'll keep everyone updated.

88 GMC Crew Cab dually, 454/T400

64 LWB 400 HP 350/350T Bagged, under construction! Sold most of it!

92 S10 Iron Duke 5 speed, 5/7 drop for now. soon to be bagged. Sold http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post4637759
ruffrida2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:02 AM   #744
Strodder
Daring to be Different

I thought a lot about what lift I should get. I looked at 4 post, 2 post asymmetrical, and scissor lifts. I chose the 2 post because it had the most benefits. It does get in the way a little some times, but not that much. The asymmetrical configuration helps. That means the car is set back when lifted. The front arms are short, and the back arms are long. For me I needed to take truck bed off on every air bag job I did. The lift worked out great for me over all. But it depends on how you will use it. I would choose the same lift again.
A little side note: I worked for Snap-on Tools for 9 years selling Diagnostic Equipment, and was a Cornwell Tool Dealer for 2 years. I saw more shop equipment than you can image.
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:

[/COLOR]

Old 03-25-2009, 11:09 PM   #745
jgh64pkup
Sunburst C10!!!

a buddy of mine dug a eight foot hole in his shop and put an underfloor two post lift in his its pretty nice i think he said he got it for 500 used
Old 03-31-2009, 12:05 AM   #746
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh64pkup View Post
a buddy of mine dug a eight foot hole in his shop and put an underfloor two post lift in his its pretty nice i think he said he got it for 500 used
That sounds like alot of work.

Well it has been a while since my last post. I figured I'd give ya'll a break from all the pix. Also my honey do list just got bigger. My wife wants to paint the kitchen cabinets black. That will take a while. I told her my truck will never get done at this rate. (jokeingly)

I've been busy with this and that. I got some more cabinets for the shop (cost $0.00) Also getting the Miata ready for track day at Talledega Grand Prix April 6. I can't wait. I will have some video to post.

Also got some more sheetrock put up so could build a shelf for the TV so I could get it out of the way. Also trimmed out the door with some rough sawn pine.

I did work on the cab a little and seam sealed the right door jamb. I'm really dreading all of the sanding on the cab and then prime again and sand some more.

I also need to know if I can get one of these dust boots where the master cylinder bolts to the firewall. I'm probably blind, but I couldn't seem to locate one.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:25 AM   #747
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

Hey Alan....have your wife tape off the kitchen, and just roll in there with the gun loaded up. Is it going to be flat black with pinstripes?
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:29 AM   #748
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by protrash64 View Post
Hey Alan....have your wife tape off the kitchen, and just roll in there with the gun loaded up. Is it going to be flat black with pinstripes?

I was thinking flames.

I am planning on spraying the doors with my gun. I'll let ya'll know how it turns out.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:39 AM   #749
4dranch
Shloooooong bed member #2

Welcome back Alan..
I like your shop. So do you race the miata??

Daughters 66 truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=484601

Learning to drive a 3 on the tree:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcCMvRgBo1Q
4dranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:39 AM   #750
Strodder
Daring to be Different

Nice cabinets Allan. When do you have time to use your Lap Top in the shop? I have a TV in my shop too. I watch the Speed Chanel most of the time while I'm working. Or should I say I listen to it. ;
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE: