The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2009, 07:55 AM   #1
jott_06
Camaro Club

Re: Rebuild of my K-10

Then in Sept. of 2008 we got a big wind storm and i was standing on my back porch looking at a little tree that fell on our garage and another tree uprooted and landed on my truck and did this.

The tree weighed so much that my rear suspension was completely bottomed out and the rear leaf springs had no arch to them untill we got the tree cut up and pushed it off the bed.

It caused about $4000 in damage so my insurance company just totalled it out but i bought it back for $300 and used my insurance check to buy my sonoma
jott_06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:59 AM   #2
jott_06
Camaro Club

The truck sat in my back yard and the tires started going flat so put some 31's I had on some rally rims on it and gave the tires away and used the aluminum slots on my 68 GMC
Old 04-12-2009, 08:02 AM   #3
jott_06
Camaro Club

then after sitting all winter a guy i work with saw an ad for a 78 chevy truck in our local news paper so i went and bought it as a parts truck because the transfer case was bad and the frame was pretty rotten.

It came with a great running motor and a nice set of tires so i think i got my moneys worth.

Here are both of the trucks together.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:05 AM   #4
jott_06
Camaro Club

If anyone noticed in the last picture, the blue truck got a stepside bed that i had laying in my basement in pieces. I had bought that bed before the tree ever crushed my other one because i liked the way lifted stepsides look.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:12 AM   #5
jott_06
Camaro Club

Well the end of march i decided to start doing the real work i had been putting off. Sorry i didnt get any progress pictures. I only had about 2 1/2 hours of day light to work on it after work each evening so i didnt have time to take pics. I started out stripping both trucks down to there frames. i used the motor and cab from the black truck and put them on my old blue truck frame with 4 speed that was already in the blue truck. Then i put all of the front sheet metal that had come off of the blue truck back on its old frame bolted to the black cab. I then put the stepside bed back on and mounted up the wheels and tires from the black truck. I drove it like that for about two weeks and found a set of cragar 15x10 soft 8's at summit racing on clearance so i bought them and got them mounted up and this is how it looks as of yesterday.

The color turned out kinda funny because i tried to lighten it up so you could see the rims. They just looked like big black blobs on the screen.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:18 AM   #6
jott_06
Camaro Club

[QUOTE=jott_06;3252356]

QUOTE]

If you look in the background of this picture to the right you can see the stump of the tree that fell on the truck and the fence is still damaged also from the same tree. This was pretty much exactly where i had the truck parked when it got crushed